Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WYMT Sports OT Hot Mic Friday(10/3)
Play ball.
OffTheHook Wrote:I hope that JC does get over that hump soon.

But, guys IMO....I think this is just a little bit of an over reaction. I heard it. BUT, They didn't purposelly say it on the air. They were having a coversation (which ALL us sports fans do), that they thought was not being broadcast. If anyone is to blame it's a Tech Person. So they weren't trying to poke fun at any kids or school. Heck if you look at the quote above. They didn't even mention what school they were talking about.

And to be perfectly honest...The first part of that statement is true for prolly EVERY school in the state. The Cov Cath part though...JC takes them down this year!

Just the opinion of a Highschool Sports Fan here.

Good point OTH......
I think the problem is that we hold sports reporters (and I'm not sure why) to a higher standard.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Good point OTH......
I think the problem is that we hold sports reporters (and I'm not sure why) to a higher standard.

Do you actually consider the people at WYMT sports reporters?
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:2015. The year Johnsonville rejoiced and Highlands left 4A.

People were singing in the streets, rainbows were being created at will, and Matney rode a unicorn into practice the next day Confusednicker:

is this where the brats are made?Confusednicker:

People were singing in the streets, rainbows were being created at will, and Matney rode a unicorn into practice the next day Confusednicker:

This here is funny, I don't care who you are !! :Clap:

Confusednicker:

All of that was your plan if Whitley County had hired Hitlon as the head coach.
^^
:lmao:
There is more to it than just what was said, it was the tone that it was said in. They said the statement in a smart ass tone, poking fun of those kids. Here you have two WYMT puds that would probably be the first to admit that they never played a down of football in their life mocking a defenseless group of 14-18 year olds on live TV!!! How would you take it if was your son or daughter that tuned in to watch a show only to see these bozos publicly criticize them? What if they had said Whitley County couldn't beat their way out of a Davis Produce Brown Paper Bag? Or Bowling Green is a mighty fine team, but are just lucky because when Highlands was in 5A they couldn't beat them? Belfry is racking up a lot of wins against district teams that their middle school could beat but they can't beat Louisville Central. Raceland is a good team but can't beat Williamsburg. Williamsburg might as well stay home because Mayfield will put 60 on them this year. Put yourself in their shoes, their parents shoes about this. If it was an open round table discussion, sure we could deal more with it but the backhandedness and the secrecy of their comments is disgusting. Asking many of you to do that is about as likely as me winning the lottery because everyone loves to be a hater or an internet tough guy.

I find it a big ol pile of poopy to have a station that is to represent the mountain schools in a positive light but are putting down a program, kids and a community because of failures against one team. I mean my goodness, Keith Casebolt's commercial made the game this Friday Night with Letcher Central and Harlan County sound more exciting than the thought of me baking a cherry pie. He hyped it up, displayed a positive public image on a game that features two teams that have struggled. Over the past 8 years JC has probably been the most dominant program in the mountains. No they don't have any state titles to show for it, but you put everyone else in their same region and they don't make it to the day after Thanksgiving either. People live to take cheap shots over their schedule and say they aren't beating anyone. Yeah they are, it just happens to be no one local because no one local will play them. Who else is there to play? They have beat everyone willing play them during their open dates. You have to give Belfry credit, they have taken it to us in some games and we have taken it to them, but they are still always willing to play. I can't think of how many times we have called them on short notice after a team backed out and they have allowed us to come to them or them come to us for JV and Freshmen games.
Yes JC has not beat Highlands but they do own a .500 record against the other team mentioned. These are not two slap dick programs, these are consistently two of the best teams in 4A and the entire state. Hell Highlands is a Top 25 program in the COUNTRY. When a school goes almost 4 years without losing to another team in the state of Kentucky that is all I need to know. No one else in the bluegrass state is beating them either. Why hold one team, especially a local team, to some standard when you ignore everyone else in the state struggles with that same team? All of this is over pure hate and jealousy, no way around it. People love to see winning programs fall on hard times. People loved it when Paintsville fell off the map. People love it when we were the cellar dwellers. People love it when the Patriots lose. Envy of another because they have something or have a program you can’t size up to brings out the worst in people. It is a dang shame that two culprits happen to be people that are supposed to be fair, honest and unbiased in covering their viewing area. So you can kiss my big fat dimpled rear WYMT.
There's a difference between being biased and honest. If you say that Johnson Central can't beat Highlands you aren't being biased, you're being honest. If this was ESPN saying that the Angels aren't going to beat the Royals no one would bat an eye. But we aren't dealing with reasonable people here in Eastern Kentucky. We're dealing with Paula Dean.
I am mixed on this.

I totally get the sentiment that the local news channel should do nothing but build up the schools they cover when broadcasting. With High School teams it should never be a negative.

With that said, I find it hard to be angry at the fact they said this when they thought the cameras were off. Just because you work for a news station doesn't mean you should swear undying devotion to every team in your coverage area and not have an opinion when you are talking shop off the air. What they were saying is no different than what people say on here every day...except what they were saying was never meant to be heard.

What I will say is it is a black eye to WYMT in terms of their organization and execution. Leaving the mics on are an amateur move and it could have been something much worse that came out of their mouths. Yet I don't think this deserves an uproar or any angst.

If this were a newspaper or a radio show (think the Sports Guys on EKB) questioning JC's schedule and whether they can beat the NKY teams, it would be water under the bridge and nothing more than a motivational tool. Just because you want someone to be biased doesn't mean they have to be.
I think your interpretation is very fair, objective and analytical.
Paula Dean Wrote:There is more to it than just what was said, it was the tone that it was said in. They said the statement in a smart ass tone, poking fun of those kids. Here you have two WYMT puds that would probably be the first to admit that they never played a down of football in their life mocking a defenseless group of 14-18 year olds on live TV!!! How would you take it if was your son or daughter that tuned in to watch a show only to see these bozos publicly criticize them? What if they had said Whitley County couldn't beat their way out of a Davis Produce Brown Paper Bag? Or Bowling Green is a mighty fine team, but are just lucky because when Highlands was in 5A they couldn't beat them? Belfry is racking up a lot of wins against district teams that their middle school could beat but they can't beat Louisville Central. Raceland is a good team but can't beat Williamsburg. Williamsburg might as well stay home because Mayfield will put 60 on them this year. Put yourself in their shoes, their parents shoes about this. If it was an open round table discussion, sure we could deal more with it but the backhandedness and the secrecy of their comments is disgusting. Asking many of you to do that is about as likely as me winning the lottery because everyone loves to be a hater or an internet tough guy.

I find it a big ol pile of poopy to have a station that is to represent the mountain schools in a positive light but are putting down a program, kids and a community because of failures against one team. I mean my goodness, Keith Casebolt's commercial made the game this Friday Night with Letcher Central and Harlan County sound more exciting than the thought of me baking a cherry pie. He hyped it up, displayed a positive public image on a game that features two teams that have struggled. Over the past 8 years JC has probably been the most dominant program in the mountains. No they don't have any state titles to show for it, but you put everyone else in their same region and they don't make it to the day after Thanksgiving either. People live to take cheap shots over their schedule and say they aren't beating anyone. Yeah they are, it just happens to be no one local because no one local will play them. Who else is there to play? They have beat everyone willing play them during their open dates. You have to give Belfry credit, they have taken it to us in some games and we have taken it to them, but they are still always willing to play. I can't think of how many times we have called them on short notice after a team backed out and they have allowed us to come to them or them come to us for JV and Freshmen games.
Yes JC has not beat Highlands but they do own a .500 record against the other team mentioned. These are not two slap dick programs, these are consistently two of the best teams in 4A and the entire state. Hell Highlands is a Top 25 program in the COUNTRY. When a school goes almost 4 years without losing to another team in the state of Kentucky that is all I need to know. No one else in the bluegrass state is beating them either. Why hold one team, especially a local team, to some standard when you ignore everyone else in the state struggles with that same team? All of this is over pure hate and jealousy, no way around it. People love to see winning programs fall on hard times. People loved it when Paintsville fell off the map. People love it when we were the cellar dwellers. People love it when the Patriots lose. Envy of another because they have something or have a program you can’t size up to brings out the worst in people. It is a dang shame that two culprits happen to be people that are supposed to be fair, honest and unbiased in covering their viewing area. So you can kiss my big fat dimpled rear WYMT.

The first bolded.... :Thumbs: :betterthanexpected:

The second bolded.... I know many of the JC players granny's, grandpa's, aunt's, uncle's, cousins and other family members watch WYMT from 4pm through the 6pm news cast..... and usually fall asleep watching the 11pm news. Several people have told me they won't watch WYMT now because of this incident. When people some people wait all year to watch their kids play football.... then turn on a tv station they watch more than any other, then to hear stuff like this..... :dontthink :Shaking:

If they were talking about JC on the actual show and talking about JC's recent play-off history..... but these guys were poking fun and making a joke when they thought they were talking off-camera. No, these guys didn't lie. JC hasn't beat Highlands and we are 3-3 against Cov. Cath. But talking off-camera, in the tone they said it. And then one of them repeated "Or Cov. Cath.".....

Every high school player is a KID. We hold them to a higher standard when they are on the field, but let's be honest..... THEY ARE KIDS!!!!!
^^
Yes, they are kids!! Remember the part of EKU's post when he was talking about WYMT's responsibilities.

What I will say is it is a black eye to WYMT in terms of their organization and execution. Leaving the mics on are an amateur move and it could have been something much worse that came out of their mouths.
The way we thought about WYMT before....

[Image: http://whatistheexcel.com/wooobooru/_ima...elling.png]

The way we think about WYMT now....
[Image: http://media.philly.com/images/061214_ba...ch_600.jpg]
Play Ball
I did not cry when wymt pick hazard and raceland last year to beat williamsburg....Just sayin and i believe they will pick hazard again then they will pick pikeville. I still love SportsOvertime thats all we have in the mountains. Confusederiously:
64SUR Wrote:I did not cry when wymt pick hazard and raceland last year to beat williamsburg....Just sayin and i believe they will pick hazard again then they will pick pikeville. I still love SportsOvertime thats all we have in the mountains. Confusederiously:

Not having your team picked to win a game is different than having the reporters making fun of your kids off camera.
Somebody sent me a message last night.....

This person said that WYMT hasn't shown any of the JC game highlights on Sports Overtime this season.

Can anybody confirm or deny this?
Pulp Fiction Wrote:

Here is the version that was texted to me..... not the best quality, but you can hear it plain as day.

When the EKU Fans in the Stands screen pops up is when this goes down.
"Still can't be Higlands, or Cov. Cath.... or Cov. Cath."

Didn't hear nothing in plain day. :thanks: now going to go get my ears check
EKUAlum05 Wrote:With that said, I find it hard to be angry at the fact they said this when they thought the cameras were off. Just because you work for a news station doesn't mean you should swear undying devotion to every team in your coverage area and not have an opinion when you are talking shop off the air. What they were saying is no different than what people say on here every day...except what they were saying was never meant to be heard.

We aren't peeved because it was said, because the Highlands part is true. We haven't beat them so you can sing it til the cows come home that we can't until we do. Just listen to the tone on how it was said. It was some bush league remark that was thrown out as a dang smack in the face and attempt to keep the program down. "Still can't beat Highlands....or CovCath. Or CovCath" you Mad Dog Tannon Gutless Yellow Terds. If it was total professionalism, giving analysis or comparisons, hey I'm Golden Pony Boy. But to throw it out as a jab at kids, KIDS, is bullshit.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Not having your team picked to win a game is different than having the reporters making fun of your kids off camera.

I did not hear them making fun of the kids at all. Whatsoever.

I heard two guys talking shop amongst themselves when they thought the mics were off.

Once again if there was a radio show on 98.9 with a group consisting of someone from the Paintsville newspaper, Spike from 98.9, someone from Pburg, and a writer for the Ashland Daily Independent and they were talking about JC and one of them said the same things this would be water under the bridge and written off as one person's opinion.
64SUR Wrote:Didn't hear nothing in plain day. :thanks: now going to go get my ears check

Granny Bear can hear it.... Confusednicker:

But for real..... it's really really low. But when you know what they are saying, and then you hear it. I promise, it is plain as day.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Somebody sent me a message last night.....

This person said that WYMT hasn't shown any of the JC game highlights on Sports Overtime this season.

Can anybody confirm or deny this?

Deny. They were at the Harlan Co. game for 45 seconds.
Paula Dean Wrote:We aren't peeved because it was said, because the Highlands part is true. We haven't beat them so you can sing it til the cows come home that we can't until we do. Just listen to the tone on how it was said. It was some bush league remark that was thrown out as a dang smack in the face and attempt to keep the program down. "Still can't beat Highlands....or CovCath. Or CovCath" you Mad Dog Tannon Gutless Yellow Terds. If it was total professionalism, giving analysis or comparisons, hey I'm Golden Pony Boy. But to throw it out as a jab at kids, KIDS, is bullshit.

No it wasn't.

They were talking among themselves.

If they said that during the broadcast I would agree, but this was not meant to be heard. They had no intent whatsoever at trying to belittle JC or take a shot at them because as far as thye know noone wa slistneing
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I did not hear them making fun of the kids at all. Whatsoever.

I heard two guys talking shop amongst themselves when they thought the mics were off.

Once again if there was a radio show on 98.9 with a group consisting of someone from the Paintsville newspaper, Spike from 98.9, someone from Pburg, and a writer for the Ashland Daily Independent and they were talking about JC and one of them said the same things this would be water under the bridge and written off as one person's opinion.

Yeah if it was part of a segment, not thrown out as a smartass comment and wanting it to be hidden from public view. I mean dang man, how about it if they said something about your family or two people called you something in an insulting manner, how would you feel? Would you not be peeved or would it be just shop talk?
EKUAlum05 Wrote:No it wasn't.

They were talking among themselves.

If they said that during the broadcast I would agree, but this was not meant to be heard. They had no intent whatsoever at trying to belittle JC or take a shot at them because as far as thye know noone wa slistneing

Listen to the tone of it and how it was said. HOW THEY SAID IT WAS BULLSHIT AND MEANT IN ANGST. NOT A DANG THING WRONG WITH WHAT WAS SAID!!!!!
Johnson Central need to play corbin next year give Haddix a :phone::phone::phone:
RunningClock Wrote:There's a difference between being biased and honest. If you say that Johnson Central can't beat Highlands you aren't being biased, you're being honest. If this was ESPN saying that the Angels aren't going to beat the Royals no one would bat an eye. But we aren't dealing with reasonable people here in Eastern Kentucky. We're dealing with Paula Dean.

Was the Highlands statement honest, yep. CovCath, nope. Are you too stupid that you can't discern what the difference in tone of professionalism and an insult is?
64SUR Wrote:Johnson Central need to play corbin next year give Haddix a :phone::phone::phone:

Good thinking. We are open 2 and 3. I'll give him a call.
Hope to see one of wymt reporters Dumb or Dumber at one of JC games!!! Well they may have to slip in!! We will for sure give them a big old home town welcome.