Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WYMT Sports OT Hot Mic Friday(10/3)
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I did not hear them making fun of the kids at all. Whatsoever.

I heard two guys talking shop amongst themselves when they thought the mics were off.

Once again if there was a radio show on 98.9 with a group consisting of someone from the Paintsville newspaper, Spike from 98.9, someone from Pburg, and a writer for the Ashland Daily Independent and they were talking about JC and one of them said the same things this would be water under the bridge and written off as one person's opinion.

The bolded....
Like I said earlier, if they were talking about JC's recent play-off history on the actual show, that would be different. But the way they said it and the tone the used when they thought they were off-camera is the worst part.

The radio show reference is the same as the example I used above.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Paula Dean Wrote:Listen to the tone of it and how it was said. HOW THEY SAID IT WAS BULLSHIT AND MEANT IN ANGST. NOT A DANG THING WRONG WITH WHAT WAS SAID!!!!!

Once again you aren't comprehending what I am saying.

No doubt they said it with a sarcastic tone when they were talking to each other when they thought they were off the air. Noone can refute that.

The fact remains though this was never meant to be heard. They were not intending to upset or belittle JC to the general public. They never called out any individual. This was a conversation between two men.

It doesn't change the fact it was heard. It is pretty clear what their feelings are and when JC gets a win over those teams they should be privy to some good natured ribbing. Heck I don't even have a problem with JC making signs and banners to mock WYMT much like you would see on College Gameday. Clearly they didn't run a tight ship that night and criticism is warranted.

But to play the card that this was a tragedy or scandal and for people to insinuate they will never watch again and spew venom on a news channel who is simply trying to do their job over an honest mistake I do not stand behind.

To me here is what needs to happen. WYMT needs to apologize. The Johnson Central community needs to accept. When JC beats Highlands or CovCath the JC fans should flood social media with good natured ribbing. If JC loses WYMT should handle it professionally and not say a word.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Once again you aren't comprehending what I am saying.

No doubt they said it with a sarcastic tone when they were talking to each other when they thought they were off the air. Noone can refute that.

The fact remains though this was never meant to be heard. They were not intending to upset or belittle JC to the general public. They never called out any individual. This was a conversation between two men.

It doesn't change the fact it was heard. It is pretty clear what their feelings are and when JC gets a win over those teams they should be privy to some good natured ribbing. Heck I don't even have a problem with JC making signs and banners to mock WYMT much like you would see on College Gameday. Clearly they didn't run a tight ship that night and criticism is warranted.

But to play the card that this was a tragedy or scandal and for people to insinuate they will never watch again and spew venom on a news channel who is simply trying to do their job over an honest mistake I do not stand behind.

To me here is what needs to happen. WYMT needs to apologize. The Johnson Central community needs to accept. When JC beats Highlands or CovCath the JC fans should flood social media with good natured ribbing. If JC loses WYMT should handle it professionally and not say a word.

Except to each other off the air.Confusednicker:
Here's the other thing if I am a JC fan I LOVE THIS.

Jim Matney lives for stuff like this!

Noone...and I repeat NOONE... plays the whole chip on the shoulder.."nobody respects us"... "noone gives us a chance".. "they all want to see you lose" card better than Matney.

He cherishes the underdog role and there are very few people in the state better at embracing the role like Matney.

WYMT just gave him an entire playoff's worth of chips on his shoulder to play and you bet your bottom dollar he will.
Who cares what they said? This is all getting blown out of proportion. It isn't the first nor will it be the last time that someone has bashed JC. Yes, it is disrespectful to down a group of youngsters like that but if they are as tough as I think they are it'll be like water rolling off a duck's back. This will only motivate them more. Furthermore, if they want to talk a little smack, maybe they should do a fact check first. Central has had the Cov Cath monkey off of their back for a few years now.

I still think that Sports Overtime has drastically gone down hill since the days when Brian Milam was the host. He actually new what he was talking about and I think he genuinely cared about the games, the kids, and their success. It used to be a joy to rush home and watch the program after a game on Friday night. Now I think I would rather watch reruns of the Golden Girls.
What's wrong with the Golden Girls??
:Clap:
Nothing at all Granny, Betty White is my hero
I have listened to the clip over and over and I don't hear any "tone" that would tell me they are mocking JC. Even if they used the same tone and replaced JC with Belfry and highlands with central I still wouldn't be mad. And how do you know for sure it is JC they are talking about. Yeah sure JC has played them both but so has a lot of other teams. Just because they are a mountain television station doesn't means they talk mountain football all the time. I'm just wondering how you know for sure its JC they are talking about. If I missed it in a previous post, my bad.
Looks like WYMT is apologizing.

http://www.wkyt.com/wymt/home/headlines/...07511.html
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Looks like WYMT is apologizing.

http://www.wkyt.com/wymt/home/headlines/...07511.html

That apology seriously just made me LOL. A certain schools "inability to beat a northern Kentucky team" :hilarious:
So, PD you are calling for the heads of two young men for a comment during a private conversation (which accidentally made it on air)? Because you view it a a disrespectful jab that could hurt teenagers feelings. However, you then took to a public forum might I remind you and belittled Williamsburg, Belfry and Whitley County in a post. Granted it was to display examples but it makes you no bigger of a person. I personally think this is being blown WAYYY out of proportion. For those who say you aren't going to watch WYMT anymore good luck getting coverage anywhere else because Lexington and SAZ sure as heck aren't going to take the initiative to drive an equal 1 to 2 hours to get the kids exposure.
This whole thing is much ado about nothing.

In the immortal words of Sgt Hulka the big toe.

"Lighten up Frances."
This has been blown way out of proportion. Apology made. Accept it. Move on. Play ball.
If I had a nickel for everytime a JC "grown up" made fun of Paintsville's football program, I could retire real early. Who cares? Does it affect our players who are kids? Not at all. Actually, they laugh at them. When kids know from their coach that what they're doing is good, what others say really doesn't matter to them. And, you have to consider who it's coming from. Now, if Bear Bryant had told them they suck, that may have had an impact, but 2 guys at WYMT? Seriously? Let it go and get ready for Friday night!
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Let's assume they said Johnson Central is beating up on these nobodies but it doesn't matter because they can't beat Highlands.

ARE THEY WRONG?? :hilarious:

No!!!!!!! Confusednicker:
JC fans just a bunch of drama queens seeking attention. They should be entitled to an opinion just like we are. I do not think JC will beat Highlands this year. I would love for them to but I just don't see it this year or in the near future.
Who cares.
A11 Wrote:So, PD you are calling for the heads of two young men for a comment during a private conversation (which accidentally made it on air)? Because you view it a a disrespectful jab that could hurt teenagers feelings. However, you then took to a public forum might I remind you and belittled Williamsburg, Belfry and Whitley County in a post. Granted it was to display examples but it makes you no bigger of a person. I personally think this is being blown WAYYY out of proportion. For those who say you aren't going to watch WYMT anymore good luck getting coverage anywhere else because Lexington and SAZ sure as heck aren't going to take the initiative to drive an equal 1 to 2 hours to get the kids exposure.

I don't think the issue has anything to do with two men's opinions or even who it was about? All this did was highlight WYMT's inability to hire competent sports people. Brian was great, and one thing that made him great was objectivity. He did a good job of supporting all the eastern KY programs and wanted them to succeed. These guys on air are capable of having their opinion like that and they should. However, once you put the headset on you're no longer a casual fan and you're going to be held accountable for anything you say while representing WYMT. Just because the mic should have been off doesn't mean their not still representing their company at that time. If they want to have that type of conversation then go talk about it at a bar after the game? It is the same concept with coaches being accountable for their actions by the school they coach for even if something they do is not related to athletics or the school. Anytime they go into public they are still an ambassador for the school they coach for and should act accordingly. Stations like WYMT rely on their relationships with programs in their viewing area in order to report good credible stories. That's why the apology was necessary. I doubt Matney will be willing to help them out with quotes and things of that nature in the future. Also, during state tournaments the press are given passes to attend of course. They are also given certain areas where their suppose to be during the games. However, most coaches will allow their local press to be on the sidelines or at the end of the bench or dugout to give them a better advantage, just simply as a way to show support on their end. These are the types of things maybe they should think about when voicing their "opinions?"
baseball1974 Wrote:I don't think the issue has anything to do with two men's opinions or even who it was about? All this did was highlight WYMT's inability to hire competent sports people. Brian was great, and one thing that made him great was objectivity. He did a good job of supporting all the eastern KY programs and wanted them to succeed. These guys on air are capable of having their opinion like that and they should. However, once you put the headset on you're no longer a casual fan and you're going to be held accountable for anything you say while representing WYMT. Just because the mic should have been off doesn't mean their not still representing their company at that time. If they want to have that type of conversation then go talk about it at a bar after the game? It is the same concept with coaches being accountable for their actions by the school they coach for even if something they do is not related to athletics or the school. Anytime they go into public they are still an ambassador for the school they coach for and should act accordingly. Stations like WYMT rely on their relationships with programs in their viewing area in order to report good credible stories. That's why the apology was necessary. I doubt Matney will be willing to help them out with quotes and things of that nature in the future. Also, during state tournaments the press are given passes to attend of course. They are also given certain areas where their suppose to be during the games. However, most coaches will allow their local press to be on the sidelines or at the end of the bench or dugout to give them a better advantage, just simply as a way to show support on their end. These are the types of things maybe they should think about when voicing their "opinions?"
It was supposed to be a private conversation. They did not know the mics were hot. If you really think Milan or any other journalist or sportscaster doesn't have personal opinions and that these two were the only ones who do, I hate to say this, but you would be ignorant. Having this type of conversation "in a bar" as you propose would actually LESSEN their credibility, since they would have no reasonable expectation of privacy. Goodness. I'm not saying people should ignore the mistake, because it was a bad one indeed. But everyone needs to chill a bit. Those in support and not in support. I've not heard this much wailing and gnashing of teeth since Middlesboro and Williamsburg fans last year in the great "orange jerseys in the sun" and "the bus ride to Pikeville was the modern day "Trail of Tears" trip brouhaha last year. Big boy pants. Put them on. Gut. Suck it up. Move on. It doesn't make them less professional it makes them HUMAN. They screwed up and they know it.
PHSForever Wrote:It was supposed to be a private conversation. They did not know the mics were hot. If you really think Milan or any other journalist or sportscaster doesn't have personal opinions and that these two were the only ones who do, I hate to say this, but you would be ignorant. Having this type of conversation "in a bar" as you propose would actually LESSEN their credibility, since they would have no reasonable expectation of privacy. Goodness. I'm not saying people should ignore the mistake, because it was a bad one indeed. But everyone needs to chill a bit. Those in support and not in support. I've not heard this much wailing and gnashing of teeth since Middlesboro and Williamsburg fans last year in the great "orange jerseys in the sun" and "the bus ride to Pikeville was the modern day "Trail of Tears" trip brouhaha last year. Big boy pants. Put them on. Gut. Suck it up. Move on. It doesn't make them less professional it makes them HUMAN. They screwed up and they know it.

I hope williamsburg wears orange when they play pike. And williamsburg is coming to play somebody not sure if it will be pike...just sayin PHS :blabbermo
PHSForever Wrote:It was supposed to be a private conversation. They did not know the mics were hot. If you really think Milan or any other journalist or sportscaster doesn't have personal opinions and that these two were the only ones who do, I hate to say this, but you would be ignorant. Having this type of conversation "in a bar" as you propose would actually LESSEN their credibility, since they would have no reasonable expectation of privacy. Goodness. I'm not saying people should ignore the mistake, because it was a bad one indeed. But everyone needs to chill a bit. Those in support and not in support. I've not heard this much wailing and gnashing of teeth since Middlesboro and Williamsburg fans last year in the great "orange jerseys in the sun" and "the bus ride to Pikeville was the modern day "Trail of Tears" trip brouhaha last year. Big boy pants. Put them on. Gut. Suck it up. Move on. It doesn't make them less professional it makes them HUMAN. They screwed up and they know it.

I'm sure he did have those opinions, but have you ever heard them? There is a reason for that. What happened was absolutely unprofessional. Thinking that something like that is okay or just "someone being human" is part of the reason why their broadcast doesn't have the credibility it once did? These guys are not doing what they do for fun? They get paid for it, and there has to be accountability for things like that. People make mistakes and I get that, but it doesn't take away from that fact that it was a screw up. Nobody is blowing it up, their calling it what it is. Almost every time you see things like this happen it results in someone getting fired. I don't think that's necessary here because the comment wasn't that bad, but it does affect things going forward for them and WYMT and I think that's why the apology was made?
baseball1974 Wrote:I'm sure he did have those opinions, but have you ever heard them? There is a reason for that. What happened was absolutely unprofessional. Thinking that something like that is okay or just "someone being human" is part of the reason why their broadcast doesn't have the credibility it once did? These guys are not doing what they do for fun? They get paid for it, and there has to be accountability for things like that. People make mistakes and I get that, but it doesn't take away from that fact that it was a screw up. Nobody is blowing it up, their calling it what it is. Almost every time you see things like this happen it results in someone getting fired. I don't think that's necessary here because the comment wasn't that bad, but it does affect things going forward for them and WYMT and I think that's why the apology was made?
And I absolutely think an apology was owed. Milam and others were probably just fortunate that a tech didn't make the same mistake when they worked at YMT. I'm not excusing it, calling it what it is, a mistake, a bad one, but Paula Deen and others need to chill best way to make a mockery of the comment is DO something about it on the field to change the perception/truth. Look, I'm going to get slammed for what I'm about to say, but it doesn't make it any less true. Johnson Central has done NOTHING on the field to change anyone's attitude. When they win a title, or two, or 3 like Belfry and Pikeville and Highlands and Cov Cath, they can howl at the moon all they want. It will have been EARNED. Call me a nattering nabob of negativism, a hater, or any other plethora of names I've already been called. It's the TRUTH until it is changed. And for what it is worth, although I used to love Sports OT, I don't like it now. Haven't for several years.
Bring back Brian Milam. The show has sucked since he left. Derek Forrest was ok but the show has been going downhill since Milam left.
PHSForever Wrote:And I absolutely think an apology was owed. Milam and others were probably just fortunate that a tech didn't make the same mistake when they worked at YMT. I'm not excusing it, calling it what it is, a mistake, a bad one, but Paula Deen and others need to chill best way to make a mockery of the comment is DO something about it on the field to change the perception/truth. Look, I'm going to get slammed for what I'm about to say, but it doesn't make it any less true. Johnson Central has done NOTHING on the field to change anyone's attitude. When they win a title, or two, or 3 like Belfry and Pikeville and Highlands and Cov Cath, they can howl at the moon all they want. It will have been EARNED. Call me a nattering nabob of negativism, a hater, or any other plethora of names I've already been called. It's the TRUTH until it is changed. And for what it is worth, although I used to love Sports OT, I don't like it now. Haven't for several years.

Just to be clear I was coming from the station's point of view on this. I could care less about what was said, and I agree with you, Johnson Central has had some really good teams, but they haven't laid claim to what really counts, championships. After I retired from coaching, I started working in the press world and I know how serious they take stuff like this. They will actually bring everyone in a room and explain that unless you have a weekly column and the content has been approved, then nobody cares what your opinion is. That's why I knew the hell they'd probably be getting from this, regardless of how trivial it is. Just to make sure your covered, its really best that you don't express opinions like that because you never know where one of your bosses graduated from? Haha
baseball1974 Wrote:Just to be clear I was coming from the station's point of view on this. I could care less about what was said, and I agree with you, Johnson Central has had some really good teams, but they haven't laid claim to what really counts, championships. After I retired from coaching, I started working in the press world and I know how serious they take stuff like this. They will actually bring everyone in a room and explain that unless you have a weekly column and the content has been approved, then nobody cares what your opinion is. That's why I knew the hell they'd probably be getting from this, regardless of how trivial it is. Just to make sure your covered, its really best that you don't express opinions like that because you never know where one of your bosses graduated from? Haha
I call bull hockey on the objectivity of the Sports OT show. I tell you why. The Mountain Top 10 is a perfect example. It is based on opinion. There are always a team or two on it that makes you go "huh?". Why? Because they've got an opinion that someone is more deserving than someone else. Yes, highlights, video are factual, but the rest is mostly opinion. But mostly I think we agree. I just don't think any more needs to be made if it than what it was. A major clusterflop on their part. Move along I say
Truth you can't handle the truth!!!!
WYMT has always been the main avenue for mountain schools and athletes to get exposure, and that's great. The problem that has been shown by this event is the fact that the quality of programming for Sports Overtime and other sports programming has drastically slipped over the last few years. I am in no way discounting all of the good that comes from their coverage, just pointing out the fact that it's nowhere close to what it was in the past, quality wise.
One local radio station used to have a scores show that was twice as good as WYMT. In fact WYMT used to contact that show to try and get scores on Friday nights because they couldn't get them as fast.
This thread has blown up almost as bad as when Ashland beat JC in the Softball Tourney!
PHSForever Wrote:And I absolutely think an apology was owed. Milam and others were probably just fortunate that a tech didn't make the same mistake when they worked at YMT. I'm not excusing it, calling it what it is, a mistake, a bad one, but Paula Deen and others need to chill best way to make a mockery of the comment is DO something about it on the field to change the perception/truth. Look, I'm going to get slammed for what I'm about to say, but it doesn't make it any less true. Johnson Central has done NOTHING on the field to change anyone's attitude. When they win a title, or two, or 3 like Belfry and Pikeville and Highlands and Cov Cath, they can howl at the moon all they want. It will have been EARNED. Call me a nattering nabob of negativism, a hater, or any other plethora of names I've already been called. It's the TRUTH until it is changed. And for what it is worth, although I used to love Sports OT, I don't like it now. Haven't for several years.

too much butter is clouding Paula's judgement.