Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open Jobs
Please pose all open/filled jobs in this thread.

Thanks
Open
East Jessamine
Estill County
Graves County
Lee County
Montgomery County
Russellville
Silver Grove
Todd County Central
Trinity (Lou)
I hear Breathitt County could be open
Added Graves County, Lee County, Russellville, Silver Grove, Todd County Central, Trinity (Lou) to the open jobs list
Has any coaches been hired in the past few weeks?
Shawn Hager replaced Mike Hall as head coach at Sheldon Clark
Any open positions opening up? Especially in the 13th, 14th, and 15th Regions.
Not sure if posted but Letcher Central is open.
Quentin Morgan has taken over as Head Coach at East Ridge. Losing Compton is a blow to the tribe, but they will be fine and so will Jordan Compton.
Did he play for Leslie?
Bluecat Wrote:Did he play for Leslie?
Yes
Seems like a good place to ask this question:

If the rumors of Shawn Hager being named football coach at the new Floyd Central school are to be believed, one would have to assume he would no longer be the baseball coach at Prestonsburg.

Anyone know if this is true and who, if anyone, is being considered to replace him?
cat86 Wrote:Seems like a good place to ask this question:

If the rumors of Shawn Hager being named football coach at the new Floyd Central school are to be believed, one would have to assume he would no longer be the baseball coach at Prestonsburg.

Anyone know if this is true and who, if anyone, is being considered to replace him?

The administration at Prestonsburg should be ashamed of themselves. I never met the Simpkins guy, but looking back, he inherited a team with a losing record that just lost in the first round of the district. His first season they were 18-11, won district very easily and lost in the semi finals of the region. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, Simpkons never lost a district title. It took him less than two years to take a team with a losing record and win the 15th region tournament. Having a losing record in the 15th region is pretty bad. There has always been a debate about whether or not the 14th or 15th was the worst region, but the 15th has pulled away from that I'm the past decade. Regardless, if you have a losing record in that part of the state, things are in pretty bad shape. For him to turn that around and win the region in less than two years, is pretty impressive. It still amazes me how the administration at Prestonsburg treated him. So now, one year removed, they lost the district championship and first round exit in the region. Not too mention they may be looking at another coaching change. They certainly haven't done that program any favors.
baseball1974 Wrote:The administration at Prestonsburg should be ashamed of themselves. I never met the Simpkins guy, but looking back, he inherited a team with a losing record that just lost in the first round of the district. His first season they were 18-11, won district very easily and lost in the semi finals of the region. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, Simpkons never lost a district title. It took him less than two years to take a team with a losing record and win the 15th region tournament. Having a losing record in the 15th region is pretty bad. There has always been a debate about whether or not the 14th or 15th was the worst region, but the 15th has pulled away from that I'm the past decade. Regardless, if you have a losing record in that part of the state, things are in pretty bad shape. For him to turn that around and win the region in less than two years, is pretty impressive. It still amazes me how the administration at Prestonsburg treated him. So now, one year removed, they lost the district championship and first round exit in the region. Not too mention they may be looking at another coaching change. They certainly haven't done that program any favors.

Agree X1000.
baseball1974 Wrote:The administration at Prestonsburg should be ashamed of themselves. I never met the Simpkins guy, but looking back, he inherited a team with a losing record that just lost in the first round of the district. His first season they were 18-11, won district very easily and lost in the semi finals of the region. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, Simpkons never lost a district title. It took him less than two years to take a team with a losing record and win the 15th region tournament. Having a losing record in the 15th region is pretty bad. There has always been a debate about whether or not the 14th or 15th was the worst region, but the 15th has pulled away from that I'm the past decade. Regardless, if you have a losing record in that part of the state, things are in pretty bad shape. For him to turn that around and win the region in less than two years, is pretty impressive. It still amazes me how the administration at Prestonsburg treated him. So now, one year removed, they lost the district championship and first round exit in the region. Not too mention they may be looking at another coaching change. They certainly haven't done that program any favors.

Imagine how good Simpkins could have made them had he been allowed to teach during the off season. The jealousy of him being a WINNER along with the love and support from the kids was over the top. The funny part is the jealousy hasn't ended even with his departure. :biglmao:
UpYours Wrote:Imagine how good Simpkins could have made them had he been allowed to teach during the off season. The jealousy of him being a WINNER along with the love and support from the kids was over the top. The funny part is the jealousy hasn't ended even with his departure. :biglmao:

One thing you will see at every school is that kids are drawn to winning. When Prestonsburg was tearing it up on the football field I'm sure their numbers were very high, and baseball numbers were down. As soon as that flipped, it seems a though it was "nipped in the bud" very quickly in order to maintain numbers in football. I'm not sure if the new school played a role in that or not or what the case was, but everyone saw how it was handled. It's no secret, football coaches want their entire team out for spring practice, and over a few decades I have seen coaches threaten playing time, and have seen some stoop as low as to threaten college opportunities if these kids didn't show up. It's a very passive aggressive way of doing things. Little comments like "you don't have to show up, but I can't promise you colleges will see that as a good thing." That was an actual quote from a football coach to one of my baseball players 20 years ago, and it's only gotten worse with year around practicing. In reality, 95% of college coaches prefer multiple sport athletes, but young kids do not know that. I can't stand the manipulation that goes on. I will admit playing basketball as a second sport can create problems for players early on, but even then they eventually catch up by mid April. There is absolutely no reason why kids can't play both football and baseball.
Has there been any rumors as to who will be hired as the baseball coach of the new school in Lexington? I think the name they decided on is "Frederick Douglas High School."