Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2014 Team Rankings - Updated in Summer
Thought it would be a good time to start a new thread now that Summer Ball has started....

Lots of player movement and changes.... So based on that, here's my latest ranking.

1. Bell County - Maci Morris simply the best player, makes this team tops. But they are not a runaway #1
2. Harlan County - I know who Harlan City has, but I think new coach and new style will make the difference for Lady Bears.
3. Harlan City - the Brock girl is crazy good
4. Clay County - if it gets physical, they are hard to beat.
5. North Laurel - I'm a homer for sure, but the Lady Jags are finally ready to take that step forward
6. South Laurel - Same for Konnie's Krew. Nobody improved more from start to finish last year than South.
7. Corbin - lost a lot, but LOTS of experience returning.
8. Whitley - Solid not spectacular
9. Knox Central - the new coach will really elevate this young team
10. Lynn Camp - lost a lot, but veteran coach will have them in most games
I saw Whitley beat up on Harlan County and Leslie County (probably the top team in the 14th Region) yesterday. I can promise you they are a top five team.
Both East Carter and Ashland Blazer of the 16th region could both vie for top 10 spots this year
I know that many 13th region teams are playing at Union but has anyone seen any play already this summer? I'm going to go to Union just to watch on Monday. I know I heard of some that has played in team camps and heard they played well but that was against teams from other states.
Bell, Harlan City and Harlan Co. Will be 1,1a, and 1aa in no predicable order. It would not surprise me if they each had losses to each other, and one of them is not going to make it out of the district. Clay, Corbin, and Whitley will be 4, 5 , 6. In no predicable order. And then probably North, South,and then Knox Central. I hope with the new coach Knox start moving up through the season.
Olred Wrote:I know that many 13th region teams are playing at Union but has anyone seen any play already this summer? I'm going to go to Union just to watch on Monday. I know I heard of some that has played in team camps and heard they played well but that was against teams from other states.

If you find out some times I would appreciate it if you would post them.
HDE Wrote:I saw Whitley beat up on Harlan County and Leslie County (probably the top team in the 14th Region) yesterday. I can promise you they are a top five team.

Whitley has always been loaded with talent. You would be amazed at the talent that has been through Knox Central over the last few years, that either did not play or transferred.
Ok, I have second hand info so if any of it is wrong I apologize.

Bell without Morris lost to Whitley county and beat Harlan Ind. (the massengill transfer played but did not start for Harlan Ind.) Was told Whitley looked very competitive with good young pieces.

Bell with Morris beat North 61-58 (was told north was up most of the game and bell caused some turnovers on the press to get the win). Extra quarters that was played was won by north but starters only played part of the time.

The two teams I really would like to hear about is my own Corbin and South Laurel. I believe south is doing a summer league again this year. Curious about Knox Central too but I just know it will time to fix the mess she walked into. Like I said all info is second hand so I apologize if any is wrong. If I hear more I will share.
insideinfo Wrote:Whitley has always been loaded with talent. You would be amazed at the talent that has been through Knox Central over the last few years, that either did not play or transferred.
If Whitley could just get a fair called game in the 13th during the regular season.....they might live up to the hype they always get in pre-season! I guess they just aren't willing to put a price on their integrity like some school systems and ref's.......:pondering:
South looks about like we did last year beat a not very good hazard twice and got beat by clay twice. clay beat us 20 each time. south did have several girls out and a couple that just got out of middle school softball and first time being in the gym in awhile. should get better
Basketball Wizzard Wrote:If Whitley could just get a fair called game in the 13th during the regular season.....they might live up to the hype they always get in pre-season! I guess they just aren't willing to put a price on their integrity like some school systems and ref's.......:pondering:

I was hoping that you had moved on. Guess you are still around embarassing the whitley co fans.:Sad04:
Basketball Wizzard Wrote:If Whitley could just get a fair called game in the 13th during the regular season.....they might live up to the hype they always get in pre-season! I guess they just aren't willing to put a price on their integrity like some school systems and ref's.......:pondering:

Whitley problem has never been the Refereeing, there problem has been sitting on the Bench,just a few of there fans would rather make excuses,rather than face the facts.
HDE, how is Harlan County doing this summer? I would assume they are starting off slow with learning a new coach and system.
They won a couple of games at LMU today.
They lost two at home last week against Whitley and Leslie.
I'd have them around fifth or sixth in the region right now. Green isn't playing yet. Noe is on vacation, and she's the only returning starter.
It's a great freshmen class and some very good older players, but it will take a little while to get everyone on the same page.
HDE, do you know when Green will be released for practice do to her surgery and when will Bella Noe be back? Those two makes a HUGE difference in a starting line-up.
The Outsider Wrote:I was hoping that you had moved on. Guess you are still around embarassing the whitley co fans.:Sad04:
Who's embarrassed???? The FACTS are THE FACTS!!!! No matter how you try and sugarcoat it! Players don't win the games in the 13th......it's the money that does!!!! Just ask our proud Region Champs of the last 2 years!!:biglmao: What's embarrassing is how this keeps happening and KHSAA does nothing to stop it!!!:flush:
insideinfo Wrote:Whitley problem has never been the Refereeing, there problem has been sitting on the Bench,just a few of there fans would rather make excuses,rather than face the facts.
See my previous message to Outsider! Those are the FACTS!!! :Thumbs::biglmao:
Just curious as to how the 13th region teams are doing this summer so far. Any surprises? I am particularly interested as to how Harlan County is doing. HDE, I know you can help me out. I know Blair Green has not played any this summer but just curious as to how things are going with the team with new coaches and system. I talked to a parent yesterday and she was so excited about what was going on at HC BUT, that is coming from a parent. I need to know from you HDE.
Bell County beat Leslie County at Letcher County Central by the score of 51-49
bear claw Wrote:Just curious as to how the 13th region teams are doing this summer so far. Any surprises? I am particularly interested as to how Harlan County is doing. HDE, I know you can help me out. I know Blair Green has not played any this summer but just curious as to how things are going with the team with new coaches and system. I talked to a parent yesterday and she was so excited about what was going on at HC BUT, that is coming from a parent. I need to know from you HDE.

I just saw HCHS scrimmage once so far. It was the first day. They have a long way to go to be in the top three, which is where I rated them at the end of last season.
I'm curious to see if they can maintain the same kind of effort on defense they had the past couple of years. Coach Nolan had turned them into one of the best defensive teams in the region. They need to maintain that to be a contender in the region.
kba summer state tourny today clay beat harlan city 46-38. casey beat clay 44-41 and henry clay beat casey n the finals 58-49 I think thats all right correct me if i am wrong
Clay beat Bell by 2 earlier in the week at Union College.
after seeing and hearing... I've revised them a bit

1. Bell County - Maci Morris simply the best player, makes this team tops. But they are not a runaway #1
2. Clay County - starting 5 will be very good. Definitely can win Region. Summer has been impressive so far.
3. Harlan City - might stumble a bit early until they figure out how to best use new rotation. But starting five will be as good as anyone in the Region.
4. Corbin - Looks like they will be better than thought.
5. North Laurel - Guards will be as good as anyone.
6. Harlan County - Loss of leading scorer from last year a blow. They'll move up as Green plays and Green coaches.
7. South Laurel - Really came on at end of last year.
8. Whitley - They will battle to move up
9. Knox Central - definitely a different vibe around their team
10. Lynn Camp - by default... I can't think of another team that will be decent in 13th this year.
South jv won their pool at kba but couldnt find a bus driver to go back for tourny sunday. sacred heart won jv and south beat them by 9 in pool play. south decided to just play jv when none of the older girls could play that weekend but as I say that the girls that played jv sat will play alot of varsity too. they was without 3 girls 2 srs to be and a soph to be they have a chance to be ok this year maybe upset somebody
Any updates on summer games this week?
JagNation Wrote:after seeing and hearing... I've revised them a bit

2. Clay County - starting 5 will be very good. Definitely can win Region. Summer has been impressive so far.
3. Harlan City - might stumble a bit early until they figure out how to best use new rotation. But starting five will be as good as anyone in the Region.
4. Corbin - Looks like they will be better than thought.
5. North Laurel - Guards will be as good as anyone.
6. Harlan County - Loss of leading scorer from last year a blow. They'll move up as Green plays and Green coaches.
7. South Laurel - Really came on at end of last year.
8. Whitley - They will battle to move up
9. Knox Central - definitely a different vibe around their team
10. Lynn Camp - by default... I can't think of another team that will be decent in 13th this year.

Whitley will be better than North Laurel and probably Harlan County. Whitley was a much better team at Union than North. The problem North Laurel has is that if they aren't hitting outside shoots they aren't going to score. Good teams are going to take away their shooters.

Did Knox win a game at Union?
Corbin lost to mercer co. by 20+
On June 11th & 18th. 11th was better game
Than yesterday.
Mercer 64
Whitley 28
Today at Asbury.
Ouch.
PapaSparks Wrote:Whitley will be better than North Laurel and probably Harlan County. Whitley was a much better team at Union than North. The problem North Laurel has is that if they aren't hitting outside shoots they aren't going to score. Good teams are going to take away their shooters.

Did Knox win a game at Union?

I agree whitley probably will be top 5 most of the year, but it will be a neck to neck with corbiin Harlan county and North. I wasn't at any of the games at union but heard North didn't play well without ONE kid and lost by 3 or 4 and then beat whitley at Rockcastle sometime earlier this week by 4 I was told. I don't know if they were hitting 3's or nit but the key for them is no depth. It will be the problem for them all this coming season. Corbin, Whitley and Harlan County have more depth. None have a girl like the Bruner girl for North, but if ANY one of the starters go out for North its a massive drop off. Corbin will be better off after this summer when the Wilson girl comes back which will start at pg. This summer without her will only help the team in the long run if she comes back healthy. I really LOVE Whitley's ball movement it may be the best I have seen in a LONG time. I just don't see a massive increase for this team this year but they may have the best team concept to watch. This is truly the most open I can remember the region being. My preseason pick to win in March will surprise many who know me... Clay County. They have horrible depth but the physical play that they have will hurt most region teams . They no longer are the most talented team but they still play physical. As long as clays pg can keep herself under control and mathis doesn't leave again.

Here is my try at another pre-season top ten after taking to people but I would still love to hear more updates on summer games. If you see any post them or pm me. Thanks!

Bell. (But I have not been very impressed this summer)

Harlan Ind.
Clay County

Corbin
North Laurel.
Whitley
Harlan County

South Laurel

The teams in groups can be interchanged.

Everybody else is below
I said no one has anyone like the Bruner girl on Harlan county, but temporarily forgot about Blair Green. Sorry, I don't know how I did that.