Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tornado Touchdown??
Some folks are reporting a tornado touchdown in the Elcomb community of Harlan County. I was at work when this thing blew through, and I can attest to only what I saw. My boss, who NEVER wants me to leave the computer, was pulling me away when our windows started bowing inward from the straight lined winds. Those winds were estimated at 85 mph.

I don't believe that the tornado has been confirmed yet, but we have lots of damage throughout the county. At one point in time, all electricity was off in the entire county except for Walmart, Don's Super Saver, Pizza Hut, KFC and Taco Bell. They are all in a line, and sort of isolated together across the river. Somebody was living right, I guess.

The rain was unbelievable. It flooded the streets in down town Harlan to the point where it ran a couple inches over the sidewalks. Sort of like a small river running down First Street!

The Evarts community was hit hard as well. There's lots of property damage there, and businesses that were heavily damaged. I haven't heard of any casualties, so there's a lot to be thankful for!

Anybody else have bad weather yesterday??

Wink
Granny Bear Wrote:Some folks are reporting a tornado touchdown in the Elcomb community of Harlan County. I was at work when this thing blew through, and I can attest to only what I saw. My boss, who NEVER wants me to leave the computer, was pulling me away when our windows started bowing inward from the straight lined winds. Those winds were estimated at 85 mph.

I don't believe that the tornado has been confirmed yet, but we have lots of damage throughout the county. At one point in time, all electricity was off in the entire county except for Walmart, Don's Super Saver, Pizza Hut, KFC and Taco Bell. They are all in a line, and sort of isolated together across the river. Somebody was living right, I guess.

The rain was unbelievable. It flooded the streets in down town Harlan to the point where it ran a couple inches over the sidewalks. Sort of like a small river running down First Street!

The Evarts community was hit hard as well. There's lots of property damage there, and businesses that were heavily damaged. I haven't heard of any casualties, so there's a lot to be thankful for!

Anybody else have bad weather yesterday??

Wink
We had great weather yesterday. However it is very unstable right now where I live. We had a tornado drill in the school I work in today, a tornado was spotted near the school. It is so humid right now, you can cut the air with a knife. It is supposed to be worse tomorrow. Can't wait.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
You be safe Jarons!

Meteorologists have determined that straight line winds in excess of 90 mph did the damage in Evarts. About the time my office windows were bowing inward, the airport had a report of winds at 85 mph.

I know that tornadoes do a ton of damage, but oftentimes you can forget just how harmful those straight line winds really are. There were a few windows actually blown out of buildings very close to my office.
Trees down, power out, and 60% of Dixie Heights baseball outfield fence was blown down. No twisters, loss of life, or reported injuries thankfully.

Thoughts and prayers to states of AL, and MS!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
And Arkansas; well all of them actually.
A friend of mine was killed while trying to get away from a tornado outbreak in Arkansas...she was in her vehicle. I was literally just talking to her on Facebook minutes before. Smh...
vundy33 Wrote:A friend of mine was killed while trying to get away from a tornado outbreak in Arkansas...she was in her vehicle. I was literally just talking to her on Facebook minutes before. Smh...

Sorry for your loss vundy and will be praying for you and her family.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
Me too vundy33. I'm so sorry you lost your friend.