Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Team's Intimadation at home
charlie22 Wrote:I wouldn't find that intimidating but it would be really, really cool to get to play in that environment. Loved the atmosphere when we got to play in your old stadium. The Harlan County fans were very gracious and the players played hard, clean football. It was really neat. Loved, and agreed with, the PA announcing "coal keeps your lights on". Hope to watch a game in your current stadium. It sounds really special.

Happy Easter Granny Bear and all the best.

Thanks Charlie; I hope your Easter weekend is the best!!

We've changed stadiums, but have the same announcer. You are welcome any time.
Have some wonderful memories of the Hill and Leslie County Football. Those were wonderful Times and Great Kids to Coach.
I always thought playing at Sheldon Clark's old field (The Rock) was a tough place to play.
Real Badman Wrote:I always thought playing at Sheldon Clark's old field (The Rock) was a tough place to play.

The worst field in the Nation.....

The Rock had to be one of the best "Intimidation" factors in high school football.

The turf is great... but teams hated playing there when it was muddy during a drought.
charlie22 Wrote:I guess we have different understandings as to the word intimidating. I just never thought it was intimidating to opponents. Hated it? Sure. But adversely impacting their play by getting into their minds (which is what I consider intimidation)? Nah, at least not in my opinion. Heck, if anything it probably motivated more opponents to play harder to silence the dang thing because they hated it so much.

And for the record, I don't think loud music, fireworks, fake smoke, a tunnel, inflatable helmets, etc. is intimidating to players either. At least it wouldn't be intimidating to me. Great show of support of the home team though.

Interesting that the players and coaches when you played called it Ole Betsy and I'm not saying you didn't. It's just that I've been close to the program for a pretty long time and had never heard it called that until John's article. My Dad was on the Cannon Crew back in the 70's and he'd never heard it referred to Ole Betsy. The family that owns the cannon and has been very close to the football program since the 40s (and if you know who I'm talking about, you know how close they have been and are) never heard it called Ole Betsy.

Makes sense that John referred to it as Ole Betsy in his article if you are correct about old cannons being generally referred to as Ole Betsy. John was in the Navy in his younger years.

Funny thing about cannon, when the family drove to Union Springs, Tenn to purchase it in 1968 for the purpose of firing it at the games, they didn't tell the school administration what they were doing or what they had planned, because they knew the administration would say no. The administration was not fond of the cannon at first, but came to really love it until the last couple of years of its use due to some incidents.

But if you and the players and coaches on your team called it Ole Betsy, than obviously others than just John Deering called it that. Can I ask when you played?

late ninety's. I remember multiple times it being called ole Betsey by coach mountain (have a jolly) and few players ... Im guessing this is some misnomer if the owners did not call it so. I just assumed that was true.

Anyways I did mean intimidating in the realm of fireworks, balloons and inflatables... it blows everything out the window. Effecting the players by intimidation I would say the real factor at highlands is walking into the stadium under the sign with all of the state champ years....
I would have to say the overall environment of Belfry is mind altering.
A Russell High School the Red Devils release balloon and set off fireworks pumping music but I wouldn't say it's intimidating. When I played it was always Ashlands Putnam Stadium. The team wasn't intimidating but the rich history of their grass field was. Now maybe not so much now that it's being redone.
I can remember my jr year we played Johnson central at the old stadium, for the region championship. that place was rocking. the most people I have ever witnessed at a football game.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:The worst field in the Nation.....

The Rock had to be one of the best "Intimidation" factors in high school football.

The turf is great... but teams hated playing there when it was muddy during a drought.

I watched Whitley County play them in the mud.
Most people ive ever seen at a game was my junior year in 2000 when Bell came to Whitley.
Both sides were full, and standing room only all the way around the field. Ive never seen more people than that at a football game.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:The worst field in the Nation.....

pjdoug Wrote:I watched Whitley County play them in the mud.

I know a lot guys who played at SC back in the day of "The Rock"... and for them, it's a pride thing. Saying they played "on the rock"

The Rock suited Sheldon Clark. In the heart of coal country playing on a field that some states would probably deem 'unsafe for use'. On a rainy night, you could forget seeing any numbers or running your typical offense.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed