Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelby Valley Close To Naming New Coach
Lots of good convo going on here, but gotta get this out...heard from a near and dear friend they are possibly thinking about an in-house candidate too. It's their offensive line coach they just got this year. Not sure of his name, but he said he did play ball division 1 somewhere. Has anyone heard this too? Is it crazy to think a young 1st year head coach could do something with that group?
Why didn't they hire sur64?
What this team needs is some excitement. They need a coach that loves to be out there with them on Friday nights and will be just excited as them when something positive happens. These are some very hard working boys and it's hard to keep busting your *** and keep an optimistic attitude when no one shows any interest in you or your team. The hire needs to be someone who is dying to get this job and turn this program around. Someone who wants to see them succeed. The "big guy" that played D1 ball that helped coach this year IMO cares more than almost anyone on the staff other than their D-coordinator. The right attitude just needs to be established in Shelby valley and they need to realize that the program can be turned around. No, not in a year or two and that's where I feel they mess up. They give no time to head coaches, but then again I have saw nothing spectacular of the ones that have been there. I know the guys that play bust theirs to try and make this program succeed, they just need someone behind then with just as much heart as them. Best of luck to the wildcats this season, I'll be there every Friday night, as always.
DonaldDuck Wrote:What this team needs is some excitement. They need a coach that loves to be out there with them on Friday nights and will be just excited as them when something positive happens. These are some very hard working boys and it's hard to keep busting your *** and keep an optimistic attitude when no one shows any interest in you or your team. The hire needs to be someone who is dying to get this job and turn this program around. Someone who wants to see them succeed. The "big guy" that played D1 ball that helped coach this year IMO cares more than almost anyone on the staff other than their D-coordinator. The right attitude just needs to be established in Shelby valley and they need to realize that the program can be turned around. No, not in a year or two and that's where I feel they mess up. They give no time to head coaches, but then again I have saw nothing spectacular of the ones that have been there. I know the guys that play bust theirs to try and make this program succeed, they just need someone behind then with just as much heart as them. Best of luck to the wildcats this season, I'll be there every Friday night, as always.
Been to SV game (SV-ER) last season, the fan support was there! Seemed like the coaches decided to play not to lose instead of playing to win. Some bad defense late in game,boys were looking towards d- coach on sideline and the play was already started. Good Luck SV. You do deserve a coach that is a kid at heart and shows he loves the game
I heard Dave Osborne would be the head coach while Sam Billiter would be the Offensive Coordinator.
^^^^I saw where someone posted that but the post disappeared. I have tried to confirm that but have not been able to do so.
BIG TONY Wrote:Not bashing anyone but Stepp was pushed out the door so Ratliff would get the job. Terrible way for a very good coach and a great family to leave a community. SBDM should just say u have to be buddies with the principal to be considered. Make it a school policy. Friends only will be considered. Piss on ability. Stepp will be coaching somewhere. :lame:

Are you saying that JimHicks (basketball coach at SV) and the principal were big buddies and that hire was political?
David Osborne isnt interested in the head coaching job from what I hear. He would make an excellent coach though. You wouldnt find a better guy that loves the community and kids over there either.
JEFF NORMAN I think he is assistant at PCC. He may want to get back in it as a HC.
What happen to Eric Ratliff to Shelby valley?
Who knows maybe some more political favors were needing to be handed down by the all mighty principal. Maybe Ratliff got the shaft.
Hearing Ratliff will wind up at Pike Central. Still a shot he could Head Shelby Valley
All I want to ask is Who is Jim Bentine?
I heard that former SV coach Kevin Saunders has applied. He won a state title in Virginia so if he does not get it then we know that it was a "fixed" process from the beginning.
Mjolnir Wrote:Been to SV game (SV-ER) last season, the fan support was there! Seemed like the coaches decided to play not to lose instead of playing to win. Some bad defense late in game,boys were looking towards d- coach on sideline and the play was already started. Good Luck SV. You do deserve a coach that is a kid at heart and shows he loves the game

Not saying this never happened but it was a very rare occasion. Anyone can get the winning attitude in a close game but can they keep it on a consistent basis?
Also heard Pikeville's Defensive Coordinator (Shawn Thacker) applied for the job. Just from what I have heard he sounds like he would fit the bill.
I am telling you Dale Jarrell is the next head coach and his OC is going to be Derwood Ratliff. They are bringing back the thunder of the 1999 team. Who they claim was the best team to ever put on the Wildcat uniform
Haddix leaving PCC may have a domino effect on coaching jobs in the mountains.
Just heard coach to be named tonight.
hardcore1 Wrote:Oh I need not cry or complain. And I can assure you there is nothing that would make me ever want to come to PIKE CO. least of all the politics that goes on there. I am not complaining just telling the truth. Huge difference. I wish the Wildcats the best of luck this fall and many falls to come. But it will not change the fact that you are getting ready to witness Pike Co. politics at its best. Now I do not know who applied but it was just posted a week ago and now they are ready to hire. Looks like they are not looking for a candidate since they already have one.

Sounds like you were here and think you've outgrown little ol Pike Co.
I out grew small town small minded people like you Mjolnir the day I was born because my parents raised me correctly. I am better off not having to come to or be in Pike Co. I am certain that if you live in Pike Co. you know exactly the politics I am talking about or you are part of the politics yourself. All I am saying is this is no way to build a football program and I have it from a high source that Leaders in the community and school have said that SV will never be a football school and that it does not matter who the coach is. Take it or leave I don't care, just sad for the kids.
hardcore1 Wrote:I out grew small town small minded people like you Mjolnir the day I was born because my parents raised me correctly. I am better off not having to come to or be in Pike Co. I am certain that if you live in Pike Co. you know exactly the politics I am talking about or you are part of the politics yourself. All I am saying is this is no way to build a football program and I have it from a high source that Leaders in the community and school have said that SV will never be a football school and that it does not matter who the coach is. Take it or leave I don't care, just sad for the kids.

Don't seem like you've out grown small towns at all seeing how your so concerned about this school, that resides in a small town. Maybe your parents should have raised you to not be judgmental towards others or not to worry about things that is none of your business. Unless your a parent, coach, teacher, or player you have no reason to have the concerns you do. I know the politics in pike county, I live here. I also know that if you don't have a winning season after 3 years; you shouldn't be coaching. Your pretty high on Stepp, every post you make is complelty biased towards him. You have not had an opened mind from that start of your first post. And I agree, it is hard to be a football school and have people to support it when there are people like you that are only concerned for 1 coach, instead of the team as whole. You obviously care, other wise you would not be making these remarks. If you really want to see Shelby valley to be a football school and care any at all, you should stop complaining and start supporting these kids and their new coach.
Gator95 Wrote:Don't seem like you've out grown small towns at all seeing how your so concerned about this school, that resides in a small town. Maybe your parents should have raised you to not be judgmental towards others or not to worry about things that is none of your business. Unless your a parent, coach, teacher, or player you have no reason to have the concerns you do. I know the politics in pike county, I live here. I also know that if you don't have a winning season after 3 years; you shouldn't be coaching. Your pretty high on Stepp, every post you make is complelty biased towards him. You have not had an opened mind from that start of your first post. And I agree, it is hard to be a football school and have people to support it when there are people like you that are only concerned for 1 coach, instead of the team as whole. You obviously care, other wise you would not be making these remarks. If you really want to see Shelby valley to be a football school and care any at all, you should stop complaining and start supporting these kids and their new coach.
Thank you Gator95, people like that do not anger me and don't let them anger you.They are obviously a pawn of someone who is is here and are hearing one side of a story. Friend or Foe all are entitled to speak,but should speak with a knowledge of the subject. He obviously was wronged or feels like he was here in Pike Co. Thanks again you are intelligent and seem to have good insight to how things transpire.I would venture to say you are a football players with great leadership ability. Continue to learn life's lessons and grow as a person. Attitude isn't everything it's the ONLY thing.
Any news on this? When will hire be made?
The hire was made and the new head coach at Shelby Valley will be Eric Ratliff. Decision was made Thursday evening.
Good Luck to the SV Football team and new coaching staff. Gator95,if you are a football player, keep on keeping on!
Well Valley got one of the best coaches in this side of the state running their show. They'll definitely be a good ball club next season.
Real Badman Wrote:Well Valley got one of the best coaches in this side of the state running their show. They'll definitely be a good ball club next season.

One of their backs transferred to Pikeville and one may go to Pike Cent. If Stepp goes there. This hurts the team with just the one back left. A lot of work to be done at SV.
Real Badman Wrote:Well Valley got one of the best coaches in this side of the state running their show. They'll definitely be a good ball club next season.

:hilarious:
Hopefully this team can open up and buy into what's getting ready to take place. I sure hope the best for the wildcats!:1: