Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
13th Region review/preview
Great article.
insideinfo Wrote:Great article.
Agree. Not much in this article to disagree with.
Awesome story about Morris' mom and aunt. Very interesting.
Very nice article.
Anyone else hear the Green girl from Middlesboro coming to Harlan Ind. next year? Talk hear in Harlan says may happen. I thought her dad was the coach?
:betterthanexpected:Good Article! Glad to finally see a newspaper pick their All Region Teams based on talent and not local politics! Thanks for restoring my hope in the local media.....
Very nice read...:rockon:
Pantherlifer Wrote:Very nice read...:rockon:

Welcome to the site. I hope your here to help Panthernation and I hold the fort down.LOL hope enjoy the site as much as I have over the years.
Basketball Wizzard Wrote::betterthanexpected:Good Article! Glad to finally see a newspaper pick their All Region Teams based on talent and not local politics! Thanks for restoring my hope in the local media.....

Glad someone settled the Whizzard's paranoia for a while.
Harlan County "COULD" be gaining someone that could put them over the hump, especially in the future. This incoming 8th grade bunch is very very talented, best class yet for Harlan County and if they are able to land a kid from another school who is looking to transfer, look out 13th region.
bear claw Wrote:Harlan County "COULD" be gaining someone that could put them over the hump, especially in the future. This incoming 8th grade bunch is very very talented, best class yet for Harlan County and if they are able to land a kid from another school who is looking to transfer, look out 13th region.

Is anyone going to be joining the staff?
nice read. Pretty clear top 5 though.
1. Bell
2. Harlan City
3. North Laurel
4. Clay County
5. Harlan County

Corbin, South, and maybe Middlesboro in the next group.
Did anyone go to the 12th 13th Region all Star game for JR's and Sr's? Who looked good for the jr's and who looked bad? Just wondering as I couldn't make it. I did here the sr's won and the jr's lost for the 13th.
Flicka Wrote:Anyone else hear the Green girl from Middlesboro coming to Harlan Ind. next year? Talk hear in Harlan says may happen. I thought her dad was the coach?

Both dad and mom coach. Mom is a Harlan City alumni, I believe.
JagNation Wrote:nice read. Pretty clear top 5 though.
1. Bell
2. Harlan City
3. North Laurel
4. Clay County
5. Harlan County

Corbin, South, and maybe Middlesboro in the next group.

Did we have this conversation about North being ahead of Clay this time last year, or was it another North fan?
North should continue to get better, but they aren't ahead of Clay or Harlan County at this point, and I doubt they beat Corbin or Whitley.
I hope north does well they have some good talent but to rank them 3rd is a little crazy. north won 15 games last year but the only one with a winning record was wayne co at 16-15 rest of wins was 3 wins against 3-22 jackson co, 2 wins against 9-19 obi, estill co 7-20, twice against middlesboro 9-19, knox 5-25, williamsburg 6-21, spenser co 7-22 and split with a 6-21 mcreary co and split with a 8-20 south laurel teams
I do think north played better and better as the year went and will continue to get better. north and south had two very competitive games last year with one winning on the others home court but neither team is near the top of the 13th region yet but I do think both teams time is coming. just not yet
I probably have them a bit high.... (as I did last year). They might not be better than Clay or Harlan County, probably aren't. But I'm showing my green tinted glasses! I do maintain we will be better at the end of the year.....
3rd is a little high for them for a preseason poll. They did play us probably better than even Harlan Ind. as I was holding onto my chair through most of the game and never felt comfortable even when up 6 going into the 4th. They just couldn't guard us man 2 man at the end or the score would have been very close. I will never sing the song of Clay's demise again until it is done. They will now only have two what I would call good players but that is only 1 less than last year when they played as well as anyone at the end. I think North will be better at the end like they always seem to be but not deserving of any major preseason acclaims. The difference I see from them and some of the other moderate teams is Bruner, Sheppard and Lawson. The 3 of those have higher top in potential than say South who I think have deeper talent. Also I know that both us and Whitley lost a lot but both will be competitive at the end of the year.
JagNation Wrote:I probably have them a bit high.... (as I did last year). They might not be better than Clay or Harlan County, probably aren't. But I'm showing my green tinted glasses! I do maintain we will be better at the end of the year.....

I think you maintained that last year.
It seems I remember Harlan's JV team beating North or playing them close early in the year. I don't know if North has enough depth to play with the top teams.
I've followed 13th Region girls basketball since it started and teams like Whitley do not fall off the map. They had a good young group behind the starters.
Clay just loses one starter. Didn't North have one senior, or maybe two.
It just doesn't add up.
North had no sr's and only one jr. North had no JV because the good 8th graders and FR all played only varsity. They will be good if no injuries to the key players but I could say that about any team in the 13th. Whitley and Harlan county typically are the only ones with depth. (Corbin had some this past year)
I didn't mention Harlan County earlier... Bella Noe from Harlan County I think will be the key to where Harlan County is ranked... I could see 3-6 for them depending on her play.
North is 7th or 8th at best. I'm not in the mood to doing any research but to the best of my knowledge they have not beat a team with winning record since they run the Old man off. If Knox will make a decent hire they will pass North in a couple years.
north had a jv team atleast when I watched them and one of the bigger girls started jv and varsity
It is way to early to be arguing over pre season rankings! North will be good, but not pre season 3 deserving. JagNation is a north homer, I'm a corbin homer (I like north after that) and most everyone on here is a homer somehow. It's May, and we are not even playing summer ball yet. I listed what almost every team lost last year and what they are returning this year on the other thread. Here is my belief for pre season...

Bell
Harlan Ind
Harlan County
Clay
North Laurel
Corbin (I think we will be better than some of the above by the end of season)
Whitley (same as Corbin will be better)
Middlesboro (if green stays)
South Laurel
Pineville
Lynn camp could take any of the last threes spot
Olred Wrote:It is way to early to be arguing over pre season rankings! North will be good, but not pre season 3 deserving. JagNation is a north homer, I'm a corbin homer (I like north after that) and most everyone on here is a homer somehow. It's May, and we are not even playing summer ball yet. I listed what almost every team lost last year and what they are returning this year on the other thread. Here is my belief for pre season...

Bell
Harlan Ind
Harlan County
Clay
North Laurel
Corbin (I think we will be better than some of the above by the end of season)
Whitley (same as Corbin will be better)
Middlesboro (if green stays)
South Laurel
Pineville
Lynn camp could take any of the last threes spot

Corbin and Whitley beats North in Summer ball. I don't even think it will be close still big gap between North and the top 5.
I hope your right with the first part of that statement. I just don't think so
You know what would really be refreshing next season.......to see the 50th District and
13th Region decided by the BEST TEAM and NOT THE STRIPES like has happened the last two seasons!!!! Maybe now that Whitley Co. isn't loaded with talent.....they will get a fair called game.....Since I'm in a dreaming mode....even at HOME!!!!:betterthanexpected:
Speaking of the 13th Region, why has KHSAA left Knox Central in the 51st district for so long with 3 1a schools, and left 1a Williamsburg in the 50th with 3 bigger schools in Corbin, Whitley County and South Laurel. Seems like it would make more sense to flip flop Knox Central into the 50th and Williamsburg into the 51st. Travel time wouldn't be much different as most of these teams play each other anyway.