Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 25 Most Misunderstood Rules in High School Basketball
cksportsfan Wrote:I love the five-second closely guarded call ... mainly because people don't understand it.

A player can maintain possession for more than 12 consecutive seconds (actually about 14.7) without the call IN THE SAME SPOT.

Here's how:
- Player catches pass from teammate. Count starts. Player holds ball for 4.9 seconds.
- Player dribbles, but not in a particular direction. Count restarts. Player dribbles for 4.9 seconds.
- Player picks up his dribble. Count restarts. Player holds ball for 4.9 seconds before passing.
- The teammate player passes too can be across the court and as long as the pass was thrown NOT RECEIVED before the five-second count has elapsed, no violation.

So actually more than 15 seconds could go by -- assuming the pass takes more than .3 or .4 seconds -- with only one player being closely guarded touching the ball.

Also...
If there is a defensive switch and as long as one player is the minimum distance away at all times...

The count does NOT restart.
If player is in backcourt picks up his dribble and no one to pass to can he throw ball off opposing teams backboard and recover ball?
59Boomerang Wrote:If player is in backcourt picks up his dribble and no one to pass to can he throw ball off opposing teams backboard and recover ball?

ARE YOU SERIOUS????? I truly had no idea you could do that. That's easily the craziest rule I've ever heard!!! Learn something everyday I guess.
^
He was asking, not telling.
Not saying you can but asking.....,Does anyone know?
^oh, my bad. I need to learn how to read better. Sorry.
Seen a lot of instances this year where a kid goes up for a LeBron block (chasing down the player with the ball and trying to swat it off the backboard) and fails to make contact with the ball, however the goal shaking as a result causes the ball to miss. This should be goaltending but is not clearly stated in the rule book anywhere that I can find.
Sometimes I wonder if the refs completely understand these rules.