Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bell County's All Time Greats
I still can't fiqure out who is Shawn Jones? When did he play?
Line Jason Green was a real stud on both sided of the ball
WR everyone is forget about Ray Stepp
QB not yet mentioned probably cause he only played one year Shawn Woolum
RB Chaney reggie and shawn robbins
Best line Fred Hoskins Tutor Authur Carter
Defense Crit Calebs was by far the most spectacular D athlete to every walk on the field at Bell High

The Twin mention early where the muncey twins I think Robert and Carlos Dad and William's dad They played with Larry Elder pretty mean defense
The Muncey twins also helped get the Jr. League program started in Bell Co. Great players and very important in getting Football going for the younger kids in Bell Co.
TopCat Wrote:I still can't fiqure out who is Shawn Jones? When did he play?

You gotta go way back to the mid 80s for him..
Objective Wrote:Line Jason Green was a real stud on both sided of the ball
WR everyone is forget about Ray Stepp
QB not yet mentioned probably cause he only played one year Shawn Woolum
RB Chaney reggie and shawn robbins
Best line Fred Hoskins Tutor Authur Carter
Defense Crit Calebs was by far the most spectacular D athlete to every walk on the field at Bell High

The Twin mention early where the muncey twins I think Robert and Carlos Dad and William's dad They played with Larry Elder pretty mean defense

I forgot about Ray Stepp. Him and his brother Shawn were great athletes. Wish their dad was still allowed to do the prayer before the game!
Rosco Perkins any body ever heard of him?
Yea he was actually mentioned in about 3 of the posts.
topnotch Wrote:Rosco Perkins any body ever heard of him?

I never saw him play, but I do remember when he came back to be an assistant coach at Middlesboro after he left the Dolphins. My older brother was a freshman on that MHS team (1967) and he still talks about Roscoe's "intense demonstrations" on the practice field, lol. He was an assistant for the Jackets through the mid-70s (coached Kenny Roark at MHS) and then became HC at "old" Bell County HS for a few years before joining the staff at Somerset. He had a couple sons who played for the Jumpers in the early 80s.

He came back to Middlesboro as HC after Ed VanHoose left (1985) and then took over as HC at Mercer County in the late 80s. I think he got out of coaching after that. He must be living in Somerset now, because I saw him last fall at the Middlesboro-Somerset playoff game. Great player (I'm told) and great coach.

If you haven't read the book "The Thin Thirty" about Charlie Bradshaw's first UK team, give it a look. Both Roscoe and Russell Miracle appear in it pretty prominently.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:From my standpoint, which is 20+ years of watching high school basketball, I think Robbins was the best player to come out of Bell County from a high school player standpoint.
Even though hes a kicker, Monte Merrick was responsible for more wins than anyone to come threw Bell County. You knew you were starting from the 20 and had no chance. He could alieso nail it from 50.

Without a doubt, THE single most underrated part of the game. That and having a Punter who can flip the field.
I was talking to my son the other day and he said Coach Hilton loved Crit Caleb's and thought he was one of the best to put on the Bell County jersey.
Plain and simple Crit was a football player. He knew how to play the game, not a great athlete but he can play.
I would say that you have to put Coach Hilton there even though he isn't a player just got voted into the KHSAA Hall of Fame. Congrats!!!!
I've always liked all the big thick physical skill players that were tough both ways like:

Shawn Jones
Joe Smith
Lance Burnette
Jason Crockett
Brandon Coomes
Jeremy Collett
Kevin Napier
Brent Barton
Matt Simpson
John Dudley Hilton

Those guys were all men out there playing.
There wasn't a Shawn Jones!!
Shawn Robbins
Hello everyone, I went to EKU with Derek Jones and have been trying to track him down.

Any help would be appreciated.
Gotta have Jason Bingham at RB one of the greats played and Knox Central but came to bell he's my cousin #2 the deuce is loose!!
RB: Shawn Robbins, Coery Davenenport, Russell Miracle
FB: Brent Barton
QB: not sure that there was a great...
Spe: Harvey Miracle, Joe McGeorge
OL: Dan Turner, Joel Woods
TE: tommy Crockett, Darren Clark, Brent Slusher
Defense:
LB: John Dudley Hilton, kevin Smith
DB: Dallas Greer, Cody Davenport, shawna Zachary, Matt Ely
DL: Joe Smith, Arthur Carter
This is the list of best at their position!!!
My nominee is Floyd Southerland.

As a 5'9" 160-pound defensive lineman, he was UPI 1st team All-State his senior season. Look it up: http://www.kyhssports.freewebspace.com/fb1978state.pdf

You don't see many of those any more.
Jacob Johnson ap first team all state, 5"11 ,255 right guard.
ArJay Wrote:Bell County has had so many players you about have to go with Mount Rushmore for positions!

HB-Phillip Green, Lance Burnett, Jonathan Polly, Dwayne Good, Shawn Robbins, Scott Chaney, Cory Davenport, Reggie Robbins,
QB-Derek Jones, Shawnta Zachery, Jason Crockett, Ben Madon
FB-Ben Brooks, Kevin Napier, Justin Goodin, Joe Smith, Brent Barton
WR-Joe McGeorge, Harvey Miracle, Buckeye Hunter, Cody Davenport
TE-Darrin Clark, Tommy Crockett, Eric Ely, Brent Slusher
OL-Arthur Carter, Justin Boatright, Jason Green, Dan Turner, Jordan Marcum, Joe Hammontree, Jacob Warren, Caleb Carter
DL-Billy Lawson, Will Henderson, Fred Hoskins, Joe Smith, Kevin Napier, Arthur Carter, Robert Muncy, Tyler Harbin
LB-Crit Calebs, Shawn Jones, Jeremy Collett, Brandon Coomes, Brent Barton, John Dudley Hilton, Jonathan Polly, John David Lefevers
DB-Derek Jones, Ben Madon, Dallas Greer, Jason Crockett, Matt Ely, Keith Nelson, Harvey Miracle, Clint Chedester
K-Monte Merrick

I know I've forgot a lot of good players, but this is off the top of my head. Some positions I went ahead and put 8 players down for. My favorite 0player to watch play was Scott Chaney though. And Keith Nelson because he was an Arjay boy like me.
- See more at: http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/sho...LAKtd.dpuf

I'll go ahead and repost this. HaHa

I thought I’d share this. Hopefully we can add some names to this list in the next couple years!
Typical Bell Thread.... How good are we?! Surprised that Dudley name isn’t on here way more than it is.... he would be mad if he read this, y’all not giving the old man recognition or the money he deserves. Smile
bcpc Wrote:Typical Bell Thread.... How good are we?! Surprised that Dudley name isn’t on here way more than it is.... he would be mad if he read this, y’all not giving the old man recognition or the money he deserves. Smile

Just celebrating our tradition. Coach Hilton gets criticized and disrespected more than any coach that is actually a top of the line coach. He came to a place that was annually terrible in football (I remember those days) and turned Bell into 1 of the best programs in the state. We have fallen off some, but with him back we are headed in the right direction.
ArJay Wrote:Bell County has had so many players you about have to go with Mount Rushmore for positions!

HB-Phillip Green, Lance Burnett, Jonathan Polly, Dwayne Good, Shawn Robbins, Scott Chaney, Cory Davenport, Reggie Robbins,
QB-Derek Jones, Shawnta Zachery, Jason Crockett, Ben Madon
FB-Ben Brooks, Kevin Napier, Justin Goodin, Joe Smith, Brent Barton
WR-Joe McGeorge, Harvey Miracle, Buckeye Hunter, Cody Davenport
TE-Darrin Clark, Tommy Crockett, Eric Ely, Brent Slusher
OL-Arthur Carter, Justin Boatright, Jason Green, Dan Turner, Jordan Marcum, Joe Hammontree, Jacob Warren, Caleb Carter
DL-Billy Lawson, Will Henderson, Fred Hoskins, Joe Smith, Kevin Napier, Arthur Carter, Robert Muncy, Tyler Harbin
LB-Crit Calebs, Shawn Jones, Jeremy Collett, Brandon Coomes, Brent Barton, John Dudley Hilton, Jonathan Polly, John David Lefevers
DB-Derek Jones, Ben Madon, Dallas Greer, Jason Crockett, Matt Ely, Keith Nelson, Harvey Miracle, Clint Chedester
K-Monte Merrick

I know I've forgot a lot of good players, but this is off the top of my head. Some positions I went ahead and put 8 players down for. My favorite 0player to watch play was Scott Chaney though. And Keith Nelson because he was an Arjay boy like me.
- See more at: http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/sho...LAKtd.dpuf

I'll go ahead and repost this. HaHa

I think we are about to need to add some names to this list. :biggrin:
That's a ton of good players the Josh Brown kid at LB was a good one as well mean as a copperhead snake tough as nails
Someone left off that should be on there is Trey Harbin. He coaches now and was a very good player. I agree on Josh Brown too.
Bunch of good players have come through
Joe Smith on defense was relentless. Imo heart and soul of the 91 team.
Two pages and nobody has mentioned Durrell White. Or are you Bell Co fans giving him to Middlesboro?

Either way he was by far one of the nicest young men I’ve ever encountered, and a heck of a talent.
Yes he was a Middlesboro boy. ��
Tr Christopher