Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KBA 11th Region Tournament?
I don't normally venture over to this part of the board, but I heard this past weekend that the KBA put on a tournament open to all of the 11th Region feeder schools in 6th, 7th and 8th grades. Also heard Scott County won all 3 age groups. Sounds like they must have a good program going over there with I'm sure a lot of good teams in the Lexington, Frankfort and Richmond area! Anybody know anything about players/coaches over there? Also, is this a new thing that the KBA puts on or has it been around for awhile?
Scott County middle does a great job. They have 3 quality coaches who teach Billy Hicks basketball to the letter and get the most out of their players. They have some great players as well. I know 6th grade is led by Cade McKee( coach Jim McKee son), Sam Daniel (brother to Scott Daniel, Mr. Football finalist). 7th grade who won the state championship the week before is led by a very good and up in coming star in Michael Merano, Cameron Fluker who's dad helps the high school and sharp shooter Bryce Long.
The 8th grade is loaded with great players, their starting 5 is very good and their team is undefeated with over 30 plus wins this season. They have a great point guard in Sam Sutton who's dad is Sayre girls basketball coach, Cooper Rabe who is quick as lighting and can score from anywhere, Bryce Fryman who is a great and explosive player, Josh Davis who played for AAU D3 state champs last year and can throw it down 2 handed and step out and hit the 3 ball. and their big man in the middle Stiglish who is big and bulky but can run the floor and score from the post or outside. They also have a reserve in Zane Wilson who played a great weekend of ball this weekend. Now this is just one middle school. They have 2 others that will send some talent to the high school. But SCMS does it the right way and their coaches do a great job getting the most out of them. This is not playground basketball. They teach the game the way it is supposed to be played. I saw coaches from other school this weekend coaching on the sidelines in sweats, with a cap on and even one coach had his flat bill cap cocked to the side. Maybe they are volunteers I don't know but the professionalism that is in the SCMS program is bar none. Another thing is these kids are multiple sport athletes and all excel in the other sports they play. Kudos to all the SCMS teams for great seasons.
Thanks for the rundown, hardcore1! That is always a plus I imagine when a middle school program teaches what the high school program does. I have a friend whose son plays on a Lexington 6th grade team and also goes out to a lot of the local high school games too. He tells me that the SC 6th grade coach is also an assistant at the high school for Coach Hicks. Is this correct? If so, what's his name? That is a great way to get the kids ready for the high school system by teaching the kids the same thing at a younger age.