Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Counties in Kentucky with a HS wrestling school team
There are 8 regions in Kentucky wrestling.... Some are spread out over a Three/Four hour round trip. And some are within the confines of One/Two counties.

This coming weekend is the regional wrestling meets across our great Commonwealth. Below is a list of counties by region that has a HS wrestling team. Chances are, you live in a county or live close to a county that has wrestling. However, there are only 8 sites this weekend that will be hosting a regional wrestling meet. Make an effort to get out and support your school and the growing sport of High School Wrestling.

Region 1 - Caldwell, Calloway, Christian, Graves, McCraken, Ohio, Trigg, Union.
Region 2 - Daviess, Barren, Hardin, Larue, Meade, Nelson, Taylor.
Region 3 - Bullitt, Jefferson.
Region 4 - Jefferson.
Region 5 - Anderson, Franklin, Grant, Oldham, Scott, Spencer, Woodford.
Region 6 - Boone, Kenton, Campbell.
Region 7 - Boyle, Fayette, Madison, McCreary, Whitley, Wayne.
Region 8 - Boyd, Pike, Bourbon, Johnson, Harrison, Letcher, Montgomery, Perry, Martin.
According to the khsaa website.... http://khsaa.org/wrestling/regionmanagers.pdf

Here is a list of the sites for the 2013-2014 Regional Wrestling meets.

Region 1 - Paducah Tilghman (McCraken County)
Region 2 - LaRue County
Region 3 - North Bullitt
Region 4 - Central (Jefferson County)
Region 5 - Western Hills (Franklin County)
Region 6 - Conner (Boone County)
Region 7 - Wayne County
Region 8 - Ashland (Boyd County)

And I'm sure if something isn't right or needs to be changed, somebody will post the correct information.
If my math is right....

There are 42 counties in our great Commonwealth with a HS wrestling team.
And there are 100 schools with an active wrestling team.

Jefferson County has 22 schools with wrestling.
Fayette County has 6 schools with wrestling.
Boone and Kenton both have 5 schools with wrestling.
Daviess, Hardin, Christian and Pike Counties each have 4 schools with wrestling.

Every corner of the Commonwealth has wrestling.... Actually every state that Kentucky borders..... there is a county in Ky. that has a school with a wrestling program.
McCraken and Graves are the farthest counties Western.
Boone, Kenton and Campbell are the farthest counties Northern
Wayne, Whitley, McCreary, Christian, Trigg, Calloway counties are on the Tennessee border.
And it doesn't get any further East than Phelps, Belfry and East Ridge.
The number one problem in getting a program started is finding someone with experience, and a lot of patience. Getting kids early is key, and they have to have a feeder system in order to work. At Letcher Central we started out with a great coach and had success. Once he left it has been a struggle to get a coach that has the knowledge to teach the technical part of the sport. When middle school basketball is going on they have no interest in k-5 wrestling. That is the downfall of getting a program started. Our current coach even asked me if I wanted to come and help even though he knew I know nothing about the sport.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
cougarpride08 Wrote:The number one problem in getting a program started is finding someone with experience, and a lot of patience. Getting kids early is key, and they have to have a feeder system in order to work. At Letcher Central we started out with a great coach and had success. Once he left it has been a struggle to get a coach that has the knowledge to teach the technical part of the sport. When middle school basketball is going on they have no interest in k-5 wrestling. That is the downfall of getting a program started. Our current coach even asked me if I wanted to come and help even though he knew I know nothing about the sport.

If Rex would have stayed at LCC... they would be right up there with Johnson Central in region 8 by now.

Feeder programs are where state championships are won. Getting kids mat time when they are in Elem. school pays huge dividins in high school.

Keeping kids active in wrestling in middle school is the hardest part.

Once a kid gets in to high school and they've wrestled since they could write their ABC's.... very few kids will leave the sport. And that's why teams like Union Co., LaRue Co. & Woodford Co. have more state wrestling championship banners hanging in their gym than they do basketball.
And that is why our school system don't give a crap about the sport. They claim they can never find a coach with experience, but the try to save money by getting a coach who is also a teacher. *give me a break*. Basketball hasn't done no better. At least we do have individual reg champs,and I think two wrestlers placed at state since the school consolidated.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

cougarpride08 Wrote:And that is why our school system don't give a crap about the sport. They claim they can never find a coach with experience, but the try to save money by getting a coach who is also a teacher. *give me a break*. Basketball hasn't done no better. At least we do have individual reg champs,and I think two wrestlers placed at state since the school consolidated.

Dakota Kincer placed 8th in 112lbs., not sure on the year.
Not sure who the other person would be.
Josh Back I think was also!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

I can't believe nobody is commenting on this thread.....
I know...basketball lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!