Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
13th Region Favorites-2014
Who are the favorites in region 13? Is it the same old, same old, with North Laurel and South Laurel the big dogs? What about Corbin, does Chris Hart finally win a title? Who are the darkhorses, such as Clay County? Let's hear it 13th region fans.
Well, considering that in the 19 years previously that there has been fast pitch that the Laurels have won every regional title contested (North 14, South 5), I think you have to lean towards them. (Many of those were as members of the 12th region). South is probably the favorite after winning last year, and returning a few more players than North. Corbin with Hart on the mound will be dangerous, and Clay Co. has made strides every year, and has had some really talented younger teams of late. If anyone is going to break the Laurel stranglehold in the next few years, I think they're the best bet. But this is a sport that North and South take very seriously, something I can't say about every school in the region. It's going to take a lot to take their throne away.
My Preseason rankings would go like this;

1. South Laurel-50th
2. North Laurel-49th
3. Corbin-50th
4. Clay Co-49th
5. Middlesboro-52nd
6. Harlan Co-52nd
7. Knox Central-51st
8. Jackson Co-49th
9. Whitley Co-50th
10. Harlan-52nd
11. Pineville-51st
12. Bell Co-52nd
13. Barbourville-51st
14. Williamsburg-50th
15. Lynn Camp-51st
16. OBI-49th
Nice job, wildcat. I could possibly flip-flop Corbin, South and North around in any combination. Clay could be a spoiler, but their pitching might not be dominant enough to win it.
I agree with the first 6 but knox central graduated there ace pitcher. Williamsburg beat jackson county pineville and barbourville last year and lynn camp has a new coach that was a really good player at north laurel. I don't think lynn camp will be great this year but they should be improved. And I don't see jackson county or knox central being better than whitley county. Whitley got better as 2013 went on and they got everybody back.
I agree with the first 6 but knox central graduated there ace pitcher. Williamsburg beat jackson county pineville and barbourville last year and lynn camp has a new coach that was a really good player at north laurel. I don't think lynn camp will be great this year but they should be improved. And I don't see jackson county or knox central being better than whitley county. Whitley got better as 2013 went on and they got everybody back.
Should be South again this season... North should be good - Corbin - lol - don't get me started on Corbin - Nothing against kids but come on Hart kid 2a player of the year past couple of years????? Sorry but no way.. Nice player but there were several kids way way better... Don't tell me it doesn't help that you coach the high school team with your kid and your buddy buddy with Mcalister.... I'll stop there.
Don't tell me it doesn't help that you coach the high school team with your kid and your buddy buddy with Mcalister.... I'll stop there.

You're definitely on to something there, outsidein. And as you said, I'll leave it there.
lol lol Walter you see what I see...................
outsidein Wrote:Should be South again this season... North should be good - Corbin - lol - don't get me started on Corbin - Nothing against kids but come on Hart kid 2a player of the year past couple of years????? Sorry but no way.. Nice player but there were several kids way way better... Don't tell me it doesn't help that you coach the high school team with your kid and your buddy buddy with Mcalister.... I'll stop there.

Amen, brother. She is a nice, somewhat above average high school pitcher that is a little too much for most of the usually weak region. But the last two years in regional play when it mattered against the big boys--run-ruled by North two years ago, run-ruled by South last year. Corbin occasionally makes the region title game just because North and South are not in the same district, so those two are sometimes on the same side of the regional draw, like a year ago.
This will be, overall, the weakest the region has been in a while. I can't see anyone being able to play with the big dogs out in the state. Could make for a very interesting in-region season, however.
Agree Walter
South and north will duke it out again
As fastpitchfan said north and south laurel will fight it out til the end. I just dont see Corbin having enough to beat one of those two teams for the top spot.
This could be a very,very interesting year in the 13th region. Lots of new faces that will greatly impact this season. This might be the year that the Laurel County stranglehold ends. North and South are still the teams to beat, but the gap is closing,and it's closing faster than many people think. We shall see as the season progresses, but I have a feeling that the tide has turned.
Did Corbin get a transfer pitcher this year from North or South Laurel? I think her first name was Megan.
South Laurel
Corbin
North Laurel
Clay Co.
Softball is all about pitching. The 13th has two of the best in the area. Burns at South and Hart at Corbin. For that reason I list them at the top. I think the defending champions - South Laurel are the team to beat. Corbin returns all there starters from last year and when Hart is pitching they are hard to score on. Clay has some very good players led by catcher Alex Roberts. North Laurel will be very young and has a new coach. It will be interesting to see how they mess together. Could be hard to beat by the end of the season.