•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who will be the new Coach at Russell?
FBALL Wrote:The right thing to do would be rethink this decision though and allow McGlone to finish on his own terms. To me the man has more than earned that.

Totally agree...I talked to coach last night at the basketball game and his mind is as sharp as ever. We were talking about games during the time I played for him in the mid 80's and he will go right into a scenario without missing a detail...amazing. I also thought it showed the kind of class that he possesses by being at the game supporting the very school that had just fired him, not to mention taking the high road in the paper by making light of the scenario that was forced upon him. Total class...but of course that's What Coach McGlone is.
I have been gone for several years but thought I would come back to see what onlookers are saying about the end of the McGlone Era. After reading all the posts it is just about what I expected. The beloved Coach in gone...

I for one think he was let go because of the play book. Run right run right run right. You can do that when you have the talent.

When is the last time anyone has seen Russell fake a punt. I've been watching Russell football for 15 seasons now and have missed about 20 games. I have never seen a fake punt. Even when Josh Gross was the punter and the defense all bailed they would not run one.

I hate what happened but am not surprised. Ivan McGlone will always be the Head Coach at Russell in my mind.
Fball, Evans is probably the only guy on the staff that could be the head coach. Morris is qualified but can't be the head coach because it would not represent a change. Evans hasn't been there long enough to entirely be seen as Mcglone continued.

I personally believe this thing is already a done deal. I can't see the super firing mcglone and not having done the leg work to make sure the guy he wants is on board.
PaytoPlay Wrote:Fball, Evans is probably the only guy on the staff that could be the head coach. Morris is qualified but can't be the head coach because it would not represent a change. Evans hasn't been there long enough to entirely be seen as Mcglone continued.

I personally believe this thing is already a done deal. I can't see the super firing mcglone and not having done the leg work to make sure the guy he wants is on board.

I would say you're exactly right.
Anyone heard of any front-runners or rumors as to who is going to get the nod as HC?
Sean Horne is a smart man. I do not think he would have went into this blind. I still could see Morris taking it. Horne and Morris were pretty good friends at one time. Morris doesn't want to disrespect McGlone and I can understand that but come next year someone else will be at the helm. If I were McGlone I would at least give Morris my blessing and say "I'd rather you apply for the position rather than someone I don't know". That's just my hypothesis.
Personally I think TJ would be the best pick, if he would come. He is a Russell Alumni and very aware of our tradition. He spends time with the kids year round. Pushes them to better themselves year round in the weight room. He is a firey coach and lives and breathes football. If you recall he beat Russell 5 out of 6 times he played them. He has built a heck of a program at Raceland. He is very involved in there youth program. If he would come, he would be my choice, but thats just my apinion.
Devil68 Wrote:Personally I think TJ would be the best pick, if he would come. He is a Russell Alumni and very aware of our tradition. He spends time with the kids year round. Pushes them to better themselves year round in the weight room. He is a firey coach and lives and breathes football. If you recall he beat Russell 5 out of 6 times he played them. He has built a heck of a program at Raceland. He is very involved in there youth program. If he would come, he would be my choice, but thats just my apinion.

I agree 100%. He is a great coach and a great guy. The riff between Raceland and Russell doesn't really involve him IMO. He loves Coach McGlone and would uphold every Russell tradition. I just think he is comfortable at Raceland. I guarentee he's at least thought about it. Would love to have him though.
I think anyone wouldne glad to have Maynard. Very involved with the feeder systems. Very involved with the jr high and stays on top of things as far as the coachig goes as well, on jr high frosh and jv. I dont see him leaving. He is finally finding his identity as a coach and within the system, other coaches ate being put in place to make a difference as well. He has alot of tallent speed and size coming up, though in that regaurd Russell probably has the edge speed wise. Raceland is always missing that burner, imo, but i digress.

I too would find it hard to believe that a school like Russell, who much like Raceland is primarily a football school, and outside of acedemics are always preparing for the next practice, next game, next season, i'd be shocked if they dont alread have a firm foundation on who is coming in. The way things are going, I kind of have a feeling it may end up beig Evans. Or someone else within the system.
It really is probably already in the can, but if not I hope Cecil gets a look. Familiar but does it just differently enough.

I do not endorse this, but if Matney truly is interested, despite his warts, Russell should take a look. He would win ALOT of games.
With matney your wide open offense everyone seems to want is out the door. Your going to trade the wing t for the belly read. Still gonna run 99% of the time.
If Russell was going to hire someone on staff I think they would have already made it clear they had their guy. Like I've said before, the top two on my list would be Maynard and Buchanan. I just don't see Horne making that move without an Ace in his pocket..
Anyone that knows Sean will tell you he is a Gambler. He's not above taking risks but to my knowledge he doesn't have a lot of football knowledge so I am sure he has done his homework. Everyone that knows Ivan could have told you he wouldn't take the 1 more year to be paraded around. Sean could have known this as well. This is just my theory. Lol
If this was the same deal he was offered last year, he had to know it was his last year and he accepted it then. Why would he think things would change
Because his health was improving.
Coupon21 Wrote:With matney your wide open offense everyone seems to want is out the door. Your going to trade the wing t for the belly read. Still gonna run 99% of the time.

Not enough money:please:
I agree Matney has a nice setup at JC and if TJ has most of his players returning then I don't see him leaving so it might be Cecil. But who knows Russell may throw out the money
Devil68 Wrote:Personally I think TJ would be the best pick, if he would come. He is a Russell Alumni and very aware of our tradition. He spends time with the kids year round. Pushes them to better themselves year round in the weight room. He is a firey coach and lives and breathes football. If you recall he beat Russell 5 out of 6 times he played them. He has built a heck of a program at Raceland. He is very involved in there youth program. If he would come, he would be my choice, but thats just my apinion.

It's TJ's job to turn down...time will tell. A lot of things to consider. As a Russell Alum, I can see both sides of the fence. Regardless of what happens, TJ is a great friend, and a great coach.
If Maynard makes the move, does he bring the spread offense with him? I don't see Salmons coming with him as OC. Maynard was a wing-t guy prior to being at Raceland.
Slic Ric Wrote:It's TJ's job to turn down...time will tell. A lot of things to consider. As a Russell Alum, I can see both sides of the fence. Regardless of what happens, TJ is a great friend, and a great coach.

So are you saying that TJ has been offered the job or are you speculating that he will be offered the job.
Jeepman Wrote:So are you saying that TJ has been offered the job or are you speculating that he will be offered the job.

Just speculation, but I don't think it's any secret he's Russell's first choice above anyone else who would apply for obvious reasons:

1. Former Russell player
2. Successful coach everywhere he's been
3 Does things the right way & legally
4. Great rapport with the players and his staff
5. Would have the support of the community
6. One of the VERY FEW coaches who could follow a legend & be successful
As far as I know TJ hasnt been offered a job yet. I know the family pretty well, graduating with his nephew. It's all been very tightlipped though. But as far as I know he hasnt been offered the job. I will say this, in regaurds to who leaves and goes with him, IF HE WERE TO LEAVE, I think Fannin, Salmons, Beek, Francis, Lewis and the rest of the staff, minus the new guys that have come on in the last few years, would stay. I do know that Raceland did some full-time sub hires. Whether or not it has anything to do with creating jobs for coaches or not, idk. All i know is it happened before in the past. Imo, Russell needs to make a move soon. Spring will be here before we know it.
I agree. If TJ would come to Russell it wouldn't be because he wasn't happy at Raceland. I believe it would be for nastalgia reasons. To come full circle and be coach at the place where the roots of his football began. I don't think people from Russell or Raceland would be upset with whatever decision he makes. He's a good guy and if he was approached with the offer I'm sure he will make the best decision for him.
Raceland has a great staff, IMO the best in the area, one of the top in class A. The paid coaches at Raceland -Maynard, Lewis, Salmons, Fannin, and Grizzle have all worked hard to build a great culture at Raceland. TJ is an outstanding coach but he will tell you, it's the entire staff that makes the program go. IMO Raceland and Ashland are the two top coaching staffs in this area without question.
I'm hearing if Maynard goes, Grizzle could be his pick for offensive coordinator. I believe Maynard is his uncle.
I also feel that TJ would be a great fit at Russell. McPeak could also be a good pick not knowing just how much he was aware of at Fairview. If McPeak can prove to the powers at Russell that he had no knowledge they might give him a shot. Who knows what might happen.
Everything is speculation at this point.. I don't think anybody really knows what going to happen. I'd like to see Maynard, Buchanan, or Cecil get a shot. All three would do well IMO.
Joey Ceicel is the principal at Louisa middle and head coach and probably makes very good money so I don't see him going anywhere but who knows. If he does go I would have zero problem with coach Short getting the job.
TJ and Scott are cousins I believe. I do think that he would go with TJ if he leaves. Scott is a good friend and a great football mind. He did wonders with Elkins. He knows player personel very well too. Knows where guys should play. TJ is a master of that as well. Imo, though, Russell will be successful with whoever they get at the helm.
Russell will be successful because of their schedule.. they should win at least 6 games every year, and 7+ when they have some talent. I think Russell admin is looking for a coach that can take them further than 7 & 8 game win total each year. I'd say they are wanting 9 & 10 win regular seasons and no less than a district championship on yearly basis, advancing to 3rd round of playoffs each year. That is how Russell will once again get respect as one of the top 3a teams in the state.
  •  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next