•  Previous
  • 10(current)
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who will be the new Coach at Russell?
Is it official, or all speculation that Tj took the job. I see Raceland has a next coach thread. Does being interviewed mean he definatly has the job? I would assume they would interview all of the applicants.
Will McGlone support the new hire? He was pretty pissed off the way he was let go. One must wonder, before they cut McGlone loose was this a "done deal"? Happens all the time, someone will appear loyal then stab you in the back. From what I know, I absolutely think there is a good chance this to be possible. I heard many times,if Tj were to leave,it would be after this last group of seniors. Apparently a legend wasn't ready to go so the timing begs the question. The loyalty wasn't to the program,school or assistants but to some players, obviously not all.
mightydog Wrote:Is it official, or all speculation that Tj took the job. I see Raceland has a next coach thread. Does being interviewed mean he definatly has the job? I would assume they would interview all of the applicants.

Its not official, as far as black and white with a press release. But from what i gather it is. It was his job to turn down. They wanted a decision earlier than now, but regaurdless they got the result they wanted. As to the comments from the other thread about "where loyalty stands, buying into a program, etc"...i have no issue with someone leaving for another job. No matter the circumstances. As a coach, loyalty always lies with players. Not a particular school. The kids make up the school, not the other way around.
This will be fun watching this train wreck, replace a coach who won 2 state championships with one who has won nothing except a 1-A district in a watered down division.
This was predicted a couple of years ago. When the series between the schools ended the wheels were in motion.
I may be wrong, but didn't Raceland win their first region championship in school history just last year? I am pretty sure they did.
Big Blue 4 Life Wrote:I may be wrong, but didn't Raceland win their first region championship in school history just last year? I am pretty sure they did.

that is correct! in a watered down 1-A no games vs LCA as before. The year before......after beating Pikeville by 40 points, we lost 2 months later to the same team. That was due to the coaches not having their team prepared. Only a fool underestimates their opponent.
What was TJ's record against Coach McGlone while he was at Wasteland?
4-0! Maynard never lost to McGlone. Only time Russell beat the Rams was in the first matchup. Raceland then won 5 straight over the Devils.
FBALL Wrote:What was TJ's record against Coach McGlone while he was at Wasteland?

matter of scheduling while they were down....we beat Ironton this year and Coal Grove.....good luck, these wheels were in motion for awhile. Will McGlone attend and support the new coach? Hopefully his back has healed from the back stabbing wounds.

No doubt Russell is a better job, McGlone had done enough to go out on his own terms. Once he passes on, we will see the hypocrites line up who hastened his demise.
Now I agree that coach MCGlone earned tge right to go out on his own terms. I played for and love the man. And I know Coach Maynard does to. But that is not the way it worked out. I think Coach McGlone will approve of his replacement just not with the timing of it.
FBALL Wrote:Now I agree that coach MCGlone earned tge right to go out on his own terms. I played for and love the man. And I know Coach Maynard does to. But that is not the way it worked out. I think Coach McGlone will approve of his replacement just not with the timing of it.

Totally AGREE...I also played for Coach McGlone and love him. I also think that the idiot fans bashing TJ for taking the job have no clue. First off, I worked and coached with the man and he is a class individual and a top notch coach, not to mention a good guy and a good friend. I've never seen a better preparation guy than TJ.
Secondly, if you think this was an easy decision for him, you are wrong. He loved coaching at Raceland, and loves the guys on his staff. Being from (and playing at) Russell, I understand maybe a little better than most what it meant for him to go back home, but that didn't mean he didn't love Raceland. If it were so easy, he could have made the decision in 24 hours. I also know he changed his mind a few times, and struggled today telling the kids at school. Trust me, it's easily possible to love a place where you work, but also still love where you're from.

TJ will do a great job at Russell, & I (along with the rest of his staff and Raceland friends) will miss him. To bash a guy for going home for the reasons he felt it necessary (leaving one place he loves for another) is just stupidity.

Raceland will survive and will be fine, & TJ's friends in Ramland will always be his friends.
Looks like Coach Maynard will make one more trip to Hambley, should be a good one!
I agree Slic Ric. We must realize as well that probably only 1% of Russell fans post on this site. It's the "Topix" of the sports community lol. People will be upset with TJ leaving or staying. People just like to gripe. People have to realize that it's not only players that struggle with their emotions but coaches as well. Russell will accept TJ with open arms and a "welcome home" pat on the back. These same fans would also give him a salute for remaining at Raceland. We may bicker on here but it all comes down to what TJ wants and we should all respect the mans decision.
Topix?

Now I just feel dirty.
^ You are dirty FBALL.
Tweets: Maynard to Russell

Staff report
The Independent

RUSSELL — By all indication as of Monday, T.J. Maynard is Russell’s next head football coach.

As indicated by several Raceland football players’ Twitter accounts on Monday, Maynard is returning to his roots. The coach played at Russell from 1984-87.

Russell, Raceland and Maynard all declined to confirm or deny the move.

The Russell position became available in January when 38-year coach Ivan McGlone and the school couldn’t agree on a contract.

It is Maynard’s third head coaching stop in the area. He was at Greenup County from 1998-2004, compiling a 42-34 record with the Musketeers.

He spent time as a defensive coordinator before becoming the head coach at Raceland in 2010. In his fourth season at the helm, Maynard guided the Rams to the program’s first ever region championship in 2013.

Overall, Maynard was 34-16 in his four years as Raceland’s head coach.

Russell athletic director Sam Sparks said last week that the job will be posted on the KHSAA website until this Thursday, and that the school hoped to name its next head football coach by March 1.

Some of Maynard’s former players at Raceland wished him luck on Twitter on Monday.
How will this work? Will he be able to come in immediately and start preparing the kids, or is he obligated by contract to stay at Raceland until the end of the school year. Or, can he be at both places?
Coach Maynard will be welcomed with arms wide open. Russell is ready for a change and we all know it deep down inside. We can still love Coach McGlone and move on with Maynard. I'm ready for the change and excited to see what happens.
Hearing that a couple of ams may follow Maynard to Russell?
How much affect could this have on Raceland? Does a long drawn out hiring process hurt Raceland in hanging onto these athletes. Their hire will be crucial IMO
I would say Raceland will retain all their players. One would think kids play for their pride in their school, team and friends.
RHS having a reception on Friday at 3 to introduce the new coach.
DevilWatcher Wrote:RHS having a reception on Friday at 3 to introduce the new coach.
Will it be broadcast on the internet?
I don't see any Raceland players leaving
So now with it all but "official", I wonder if any of the former assistants will be a part of T.J.'s new staff? I think Coach Morris and Coach Hurley would consider it, but I may be wrong. What does everybody else have to say?
Russelldad Wrote:So now with it all but "official", I wonder if any of the former assistants will be a part of T.J.'s new staff? I think Coach Morris and Coach Hurley would consider it, but I may be wrong. What does everybody else have to say?

I say Coach Morris, Coach Evans, & Coach Edwards will be retained.
2 of those 3 would be good choices IMO. Lol
  •  Previous
  • 10(current)