Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2013 AP All-State Football Team List
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:The Mayfield Messenger new guy is a big Graves fan and he used his 10 nominations on 10 Graves Co kids. He chose to ignore all the Mayfield kids

Wow, that's difficult to hear. Fan or no, I'd have a tough time living with myself if I pulled something like that.

The AP should really strive to get about 35-40 ballots from members (and non-members if necessary) to put together a solid team. It can't be that difficult to find 4-5 interested observers in each region to go along with voting media outlets.

No all-state team will ever be perfect. But I'd like to think that, with just a little effort, the AP could put out a much better product.
MayfieldCardinal,

Don't get me wrong: It looks HORRIBLE that Graves County had the most all-state picks. It looks worse when Mayfield beat Graves (10 picks) and McCracken and both teams had more picks.

I am in COMPLETE agreement Mayfield should have had somebody.

However:

- Even if the Mayfield Messenger voter used all his votes on Graves County, SOMEONE ELSE had to vote for all 10 of those kids. ONE vote is NOT enough to make HM. Simply being nominated does NOT get you HM. Two (at least) voters have to vote for you.

- When it comes to Mayfield as a team, the first name many throw out for All-State is Guhy. And like I pointed out before, I would have a hard time putting him in my top two QBS (an even harder time if I have a "hometown" QB to vote for, which I do NOT)
cksportsfan Wrote:MayfieldCardinal,

Don't get me wrong: It looks HORRIBLE that Graves County had the most all-state picks. It looks worse when Mayfield beat Graves (10 picks) and McCracken and both teams had more picks.

I am in COMPLETE agreement Mayfield should have had somebody.

However:

- Even if the Mayfield Messenger voter used all his votes on Graves County, SOMEONE ELSE had to vote for all 10 of those kids. ONE vote is NOT enough to make HM. Simply being nominated does NOT get you HM. Two (at least) voters have to vote for you.

- When it comes to Mayfield as a team, the first name many throw out for All-State is Guhy. And like I pointed out before, I would have a hard time putting him in my top two QBS (an even harder time if I have a "hometown" QB to vote for, which I do NOT)

I agree, the politics of it locally in recent years usually works like this you vote for mine nominees and I will vote for yours. In my opinion, I stress opinion, led to this as the other papers in the area have multiple teams to cover vs the Messenger that really only has 2. That said I may have it wrong but if you looks as the recent kids who made it and what a few of the local sports columnist have said in the past, this is what likely happened. That is not to say they all voted that way across the board but by and large they pull their votes to get local kids on the team.

As for Mayfield, I agree Guhy is the name you hear the most but he is a very good QB and anytime you have a very good QB on a title team his name is going to get thrown around a lot. Does Mayfield have any kids on this years team that are one of the top 2 at their position in the state, not likely, nor does Graves. Are there any HM's, tough to say.

Anyway, its done and I am going to let it go.