Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals v. Chargers (Round One)
Nope, not going to this version, but I was at the most famous version of Bengals v. Chargers!

In 1982 (Senior in High School), the Bengals hosted the Chargers in the coldest recorded game in NFL history. I sat in the right end-zone in the Green section wrapped so tight in clothing that I could hardly move. The -37o temperature was made more famous for what came as a result. Not far from me was a group DRUNK fans with no shirts on, maybe the craziest site that I had ever seen at that time. It was the dawn of the "Fan who goes all out!" that we now see every week! Second was seeing the Bengals offensive linemen come out with no sleeves on. This was just as incredible to see as the goofy fans and had most of us talking about that the whole game. After the fact, it was great reading in the newspaper (Many of our younger members have no idea what a newspaper is Wink ) to listen to the stories of PSYCHE that the offensive linemen played on the Chargers, and to this day Anthony Munoz and Max Montoya believe it was the key to the Bengals trouncing the West Coast Ocean Front Chargers! The mind-game of the offensive linemen on the Chargers Defensive Front is a staple of today's cold weather games, but I can only imagine what the shivering West Coast boys must have been thinking when they saw this goofy site.

This Sunday, the weather will be like the tropics in comparison to that game (40o this Sunday / -37o 1982 = 73o temperature difference), but I can guarantee you the broadcast will talk about that game a lot!

[Image: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-HsTcFqFSvgw/UD...inatti.jpg]

[Image: http://cmsimg.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcsi....eezer-Bowl]

Forrest Gregg, the great Bengal Coach and NFL HOF player from the great Green Bay Packers played in the original Ice Bowl against the Dallas Cowboys, but the ONLY got to -15o.....
[Image: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_JqK74ZE9RBw/Sy...GreggV.jpg]
Not me, but I did look something like this

[Image: http://cmsimg.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcsi....h=410&q=60]

Dan Fouts said that he could not feel his fingers after the first Quarter

[Image: http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/ph...i-1982.jpg]

Cris Collinsworth, Rookie from Florida, said he could not add all the cold days in his life together and it ever be as cold as it was on that day.

[Image: http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_roo...1275548705]
You would think that at -37, any skin that was exposed could have been subject to frostbite.

It seems almost impossible for anyone to get outside in -37 weather. I would have stayed home Confusednicker:
This highlight say's it was -50+. It said the Chargers practiced in Florida the week before with the temp over 80. That is a 130 degree difference! The NFL considered cancelling the game.

[YOUTUBE="Freezer Bowl"]sWUMv9m76eY&list=WL3F095E3F5BAF0682[/YOUTUBE]
I remember that day. I did not go to the game, but I watched it on TV thinking how nuts all those people were sitting out in the cold. I remember going out with my dad, I thought I was never going to make it to the car because I was so cold.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Stardust Wrote:This highlight say's it was -50+. It said the Chargers practiced in Florida the week before with the temp over 80. That is a 130 degree difference! The NFL considered cancelling the game.

[YOUTUBE="Freezer Bowl"]sWUMv9m76eY&list=WL3F095E3F5BAF0682[/YOUTUBE]
A man I work with is originally from San Diego. He was crying the other day at work saying that they should have never played that game due to the cold saying it gave the Bengals an unfair advantage.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jarons Wrote:A man I work with is originally from San Diego. He was crying the other day at work saying that they should have never played that game due to the cold saying it gave the Bengals an unfair advantage.

It's why teams with the best records, or division winners get homefield advantage. Take teams out of the dome, send teams from the East to the West Coast, or put Peyton in the cold, it is an advantage, but do your job in the regular season to avoid that advantage.

As for that game itself, the Chargers were at no more of a disadvantage than the Bengals. When the temperature is anywhere from -30 to -50, neither team has an advantage. Even with the Bengals being more of a cold weather team, nothing would have prepared you for that kind of Cold. I would rather say that the Bengals were more "MEN" on that day.

There is a comment from Forrest Gregg in the clip above saying it is the coldest he had ever been in his life, and this is a guy who spent his career in Green Bay. No, there was no advantage for either team.
Stardust Wrote:It's why teams with the best records, or division winners get homefield advantage. Take teams out of the dome, send teams from the East to the West Coast, or put Peyton in the cold, it is an advantage, but do your job in the regular season to avoid that advantage.

As for that game itself, the Chargers were at no more of a disadvantage than the Bengals. When the temperature is anywhere from -30 to -50, neither team has an advantage. Even with the Bengals being more of a cold weather team, nothing would have prepared you for that kind of Cold. I would rather say that the Bengals were more "MEN" on that day.

There is a comment from Forrest Gregg in the clip above saying it is the coldest he had ever been in his life, and this is a guy who spent his career in Green Bay. No, there was no advantage for either team.
I agree neither team had an advantage because of the cold. If San Diego wanted warmer weather they should have won their games. Like I stated earlier in the thread, it was the coldest day I have ever experienced.
Sad thing is if were to get that cold this weekend, Roger Godell (sp?) would probably move the game for "safety" reasons.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:You would think that at -37, any skin that was exposed could have been subject to frostbite.

It seems almost impossible for anyone to get outside in -37 weather. I would have stayed home Confusednicker:

Best looking sig you have ever had by design or otherwise.

GO BENGALS….one game at a time!

:Thumbs:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi

[Image: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/image...RAjzvwyS4N]
Charger 3
Bungles 0
I can remember that game very well just like it was yesterday!! Man it was so cold. I had a uncle that call the Friday before said he had two extra tickets. But my dad wouldn't go said it would be to dangerous to set on the stands in that type of weather... So we did watch it on tv.. I can remember Dan Fouts looking like he was froze to death.. Great game if you were a bengals fan.. Only to lose to San Fran in the Super Bowl.
I like guts avatar.. Can't wait to see what baller has for him next week!!!
I like the Bengals in this game.

Bengals - 31

Chargers - 21
Who dey think gonna beat them Bengals who won the AFC North and are unbeaten at home, but has trouble selling out a home playoff game in the jungle?
^
Mike Brown might give away some tickets...
toussaints Wrote:Who dey think gonna beat them Bengals who won the AFC North and are unbeaten at home, but has trouble selling out a home playoff game in the jungle?

Umm, Packers have more to sell than Bengals, and the Pack is ALL that Green Bay has in that city....
^
To be honest I think the coming cold weather may have something to do with it.. Believe there is a booze shortage in Wisconsin after New Years party.. Or everyone is still hungover!!! :puking:
Considering this could be another freezer bowl, it wouldn't surprise me.

I think there giving 7 degrees for Tuesday down here.
^I think it's a combination of things and honestly I don't think the Bengals or Packers are at fault.

With the holidays wrapping up, finances are tight. It's bad timing to raise ticket prices, but that's what the NFL does. Cold weather and stiffer security add in to the equation of the value of going to the game or staying at home listening on the radio.

For a big football fan who doesn't have a family to support like myself, this isn't a problem which is why I'm going. For someone who has to watch every dollar they get and isn't a big football fan, that's a different story.
Stardust needs to open his wallet and buy up the remaining seats so I can watch this game on TV.

Confusednicker:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-Mahatma Gandhi
Spirit100 Wrote:Stardust needs to open his wallet and buy up the remaining seats so I can watch this game on TV.

Confusednicker:

KROGER beat Dusty to the punch.

Anyone up for watching the game somewhere in NKY?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-Mahatma Gandhi