Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Class 1a in 2015 thru 2018
Based on current boy enrollments as of the 2013-2014 school year, if these #s stay true and the KHSAA stays with the smallest 32 team format, as they currently have, here's the teams that'd be in 1a for the years 2015-18:

1) Fulton City - 42
2) Dayton - 79
3) Fulton Co 85
4) Pineville - 85
5) Eminence - 85
6) Paintsville - 100
7) Jenkins - 101
8) Frankfort - 109
9) Phelps - 111
10) Harlan - 113
11) Caverna - 115
12) Paris - 118
13) Bellevue - 119
14) Williamsburg - 125
15) KCD - 127
16) Russellville - 135
17) S. Floyd - 138
18) Ludlow - 145
19) Lynn Camp - 151
20) Campbellsville - 152
21) Holy Cross - 153
22) Hazard - 154
23) Fairview - 168
24) Nicholas Co - 170
25) Raceland - 170
26) B.Brossart - 170
27) Bracken Co - 177
28) Bethlehem - 178
29) Berea - 180
30) Crittenden Co - 186 *
31) Betsy Layne - 189 *
32) Pikeville - 190
32) Beechwood - 190

Based on these numbers, B.Brossart, Crittenden Co and Betsy Layne would move down from 2a to 1a and Mayfield, Allen Central and either Pikeville or Beechwood would move from 1a to 2a. My guess would be that Pikeville would remain in 1a and Beechwood would be replaced in there district by B.Brossart. Allen Central would be replaced by Betsy Layne and Mayfield would be replaced by Crittenden Co and all the other districts would remain the same.

Thoughts?
My 1st thoughts on this would be that the power would swing from the west to the east with the west losing Mayfield and Beechwood. Betsy Layne would add strength to the east.

The west would likely come down to Frankfort, Russellville, Bellevue with Bethlehem, H.Cross, Paris and KCD occasionally challenging.

The east would still have Raceland, Fairview, Pikeville, Hazard and Williamsburg with an occasional challenge from Betsy Layne, Harlan, Camp'ville & Paintsville.

The east would definitely be the deeper of the 2.
It would close the gap in competition. Imo, Frankfort would become the favorite out of the West and be the most consistent force year in and year out. The east woukdnt chate a whole lot. Would like to see some sort of power in there though. NCC, Fort Campbell, Bwood, Mayfield, or even a Somerset or Desales. But if numbers dont allow it, it is what it is. I think it would make 2A the funnest class to watch, especially around playoff time.
If it were me, I'd swap district 6 and district 4. The Campbellsville district is a lot closer to being in the western half than the NKy district. You could have the regions swap also with the Frankfort district playing the Camp'ville district in region 2 and the NKy district playing the Raceland district for Region 3 and the Pikeville district playing the Hazard district for Region 4.
Do the other classifications.
I just did Class 2a.
Bye-bye Mayfield east will rise back to the top in 1a soon Confusedinglepar
Who would be in the nky district?
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Who would be in the nky district?

Bellevue, Dayton, Ludlow and B.Brossart.
Here's the most likely breakdown of districts

D1- Russellville, Crittenden Co, Fulton Co, Fulton City
D2- Holy Cross, Bethlehem, Caverna, KCD
D3- Frankfort, Eminence, Bracken Co, Paris
D4- Bellevue, Ludlow, B.Brossart, Dayton
D5- W'Burg, Camp'ville, Lynn Camp, Berea
D6- Hazard, Pineville, Jenkins, Harlan
D7- Raceland, Fairview, Nicholas Co, Paintsville
D8- Pikeville, B.Layne, S.Floyd, Phelps

I think I said earlier I'd swap D4 with D6, but, I meant swap D4 with D5. That'd put the W'Burg district on the west side of the bracket and the NKy district on the East side. Racelands district would then be D6 and the Hazard district would be D7, just swapping those regions around a little.
With the loss of a Mayfield and Beechwood with no addition of a true NKY power, it makes the 1A very weak in comparison to, well really, a hitorically tough WKY(MF), NKY(NCC, BW, Bellevue)...i think it makes the east far superior. With having Pikeville, Raceland, Wburg, Fairview, Hazard, and Fairview all having consistent top 5 or 6 squads, looking for a shot to play for the title. Part of me looks foward to something like this(if it indeed plays out this way), but the other part feels that unless a WKY or NKY team is knocked off(refering to the big dogs w multiple titles), somehow the 1A title gets a little cheaper. But with consulidation getting how it is for public and independent schools, i dont think it will get any better.
IMO, this is why you have classes. I think it makes things more winnable for alot more teams, which is exciting and while the big bullies on the block, Mayfield and Beechwood move on to bigger challenges, which I think is good for them, as well. I don't think it waters anything down. I think a W'Burg/Frankfort or a Russellville/Hazard type championship would be very competitive and fun to watch. I guarantee whoever came out with the title wouldn't feel it was cheapened any and that's all that really matters.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:With the loss of a Mayfield and Beechwood with no addition of a true NKY power, it makes the 1A very weak in comparison to, well really, a hitorically tough WKY(MF), NKY(NCC, BW, Bellevue)...i think it makes the east far superior. With having Pikeville, Raceland, Wburg, Fairview, Hazard, and Fairview all having consistent top 5 or 6 squads, looking for a shot to play for the title. Part of me looks foward to something like this(if it indeed plays out this way), but the other part feels that unless a WKY or NKY team is knocked off(refering to the big dogs w multiple titles), somehow the 1A title gets a little cheaper. But with consulidation getting how it is for public and independent schools, i dont think it will get any better.
If Raceland wins the title in the first year of realignment, would you feel cheaper? I wouldn't. I would be calling my parents or brother to buy me a championship shirt.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Idk. I would be proud if Raceland won titles in this alignment. Imo, with the current alignment, Raceland would have appeared in multiple state title games and probabky have won a few. 06 and 08 would both have beaten this years Raceland team by 3 or 4 scores. 06 was meaner and 08 was as bigger and faster at almost every position Robbie Logan(Georgetown), , The Swede(Marshall), Cody Grant, Cody Chinn, Cumpton, avges about 6'3" 270, but the all were as strong and quick as Risner. The only thing this past Raceland team has, is probably the best secondary in the last several years.

Like I said, I'd br proud just the same. Bc winning a title is winning a title and I am an avid believer in "play who u r scheduled" dont gripe about who it is, who thy have, are they recruting, arent the recruting, just play ball. But maybe its the old school i me that wishes there was a traditional nky/wky powere in there. But with Hazard, Pikeville, and Bellevue there is alot of rich playoff history and muktiple titles there. Just really want to be able to say that within last 20 years a neky or seky team managed to beat a wky or nky power in a title game. At this point, Hazard's win over MF is the only one I can think of in recent years. I would like to see the NkY region swapped with the seky region though. Heckid like to see the regions rotate every few years. Teams stay in the same region, but the regio match uo changes every 2 years or something like that.
That's a good point Scotty. The years Mayfield had to travel 5 1/2 hrs to Beechwood or vice versa, were brutal. I realize D5 isn't that much closer, but, at least every couple of years swap up the districts so the travel is fair on everyone.
Fulton City with 42 boys. How do they still have a team?
Even stranger, Fulton County is the third smallest with 85.
What is the point of having two schools that small in the same county?
Williamsburg needs to stay in the east.I would hate to cheer for the west...But i guess i would in 1A if I had too :Clap: :Sad04: :Clap:
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Idk. I would be proud if Raceland won titles in this alignment. Imo, with the current alignment, Raceland would have appeared in multiple state title games and probabky have won a few. 06 and 08 would both have beaten this years Raceland team by 3 or 4 scores. 06 was meaner and 08 was as bigger and faster at almost every position Robbie Logan(Georgetown), , The Swede(Marshall), Cody Grant, Cody Chinn, Cumpton, avges about 6'3" 270, but the all were as strong and quick as Risner. The only thing this past Raceland team has, is probably the best secondary in the last several years.

Like I said, I'd br proud just the same. Bc winning a title is winning a title and I am an avid believer in "play who u r scheduled" dont gripe about who it is, who thy have, are they recruting, arent the recruting, just play ball. But maybe its the old school i me that wishes there was a traditional nky/wky powere in there. But with Hazard, Pikeville, and Bellevue there is alot of rich playoff history and muktiple titles there. Just really want to be able to say that within last 20 years a neky or seky team managed to beat a wky or nky power in a title game. At this point, Hazard's win over MF is the only one I can think of in recent years. I would like to see the NkY region swapped with the seky region though. Heckid like to see the regions rotate every few years. Teams stay in the same region, but the regio match uo changes every 2 years or something like that.

I agree, the 12-1 08' team was a lot better then this year's 11-3 team and The Rams will great things no matter what district they get in.
HDE Wrote:Fulton City with 42 boys. How do they still have a team?
Even stranger, Fulton County is the third smallest with 85.
What is the point of having two schools that small in the same county?

Fulton City is in the city of Fulton and Fulton Co is in the city of Hickman, but, both in Fulton Co. It will amaze me if Fulton City has a team at all after next year. I would love to see a Fulton-Hickman HS somewhere in between the 2, but, from what I hear, neither side wants to consolidate. Even if they did merge, they'd still be a small to mid size 1a school, but, I think they'd be competitive, because both put out some good athletes. I think Fulton City dressed 15 kids last year and Fulton Co about 19 or 20. Just no depth and kids having to play every down on both sides and on special teams, as well. An injury or 2 and they'd be close to forfeiting. It's really sad to see those kids giving it all they have game in, game out, with little to no chance to compete.
KYHSFBFan Wrote:Fulton City is in the city of Fulton and Fulton Co is in the city of Hickman, but, both in Fulton Co. It will amaze me if Fulton City has a team at all after next year. I would love to see a Fulton-Hickman HS somewhere in between the 2, but, from what I hear, neither side wants to consolidate. Even if they did merge, they'd still be a small to mid size 1a school, but, I think they'd be competitive, because both put out some good athletes. I think Fulton City dressed 15 kids last year and Fulton Co about 19 or 20. Just no depth and kids having to play every down on both sides and on special teams, as well. An injury or 2 and they'd be close to forfeiting. It's really sad to see those kids giving it all they have game in, game out, with little to no chance to compete.

Wow have they allway been in Mayfield district..Confusederiously:
64SUR Wrote:Wow have they allway been in Mayfield district..Confusederiously:

Except when Mayfield has been in 2a. Actually, Fulton City had a really good team in 07 or 08. They're only loss was to Lone Oak that year and even beat Mayfield in district play. Mayfield returned the favor in the playoffs, but, that particular year, those guys were solid. However, it seems every year since, the #s have been getting lower and lower. S.Fulton, Tn is also only 1 mile from the Fulton City school and there program had a year or 2 that they were pretty good and some of the kids headed south to go there. Plus, they have a relatively new school and the facilities are quite a bit better. If the county and city can't come together and get a merger going, then it'd probably be just as well for Fulton City to close and open up that area of Fulton, Ky to the S.Fulton, Tn school.
I read that the two discussed a merger in 2011 but Fulton City backed out.
I don't know if they could build a new school when they would both probably fit in one of the old ones.
I think many of the teams that share a county will eventually consider or move towards consulidation.
There aren't many small- to medium-sized counties left that aren't already down to one high school.
Greenup is the last one in NEKY. The biggest, Greenup County, is a 4A football school, but only fields 30-50 kids. While the other two schools in the county, Russell(3A) and Raceland(1A), are still independent schools, but field between 50-70 kids consistantly. Greenup has been really bad over the last seceral seasons. They are moving in the right direction though. Raceland finally got over the regional hump and Russell suprised some people this year. I would expect to see Raceland and Russell consolidate into a Southern Greenup Co HS or come up with another joint name before the entire county consolidates. Simply because the greenup students are far more spread out into the county while Raceland, Worthington, Russell, and Flatwoods are all butted up against eachother.