Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1-3a vs. 4-6a. Who would win?
I think it would be a very interesting game between the 2. Despite 3a and below being much smaller there are plenty of athletes still yet. With a limit on roster length i believe it would go either way. Who you got?
Fundamentals Wrote:I think it would be a very interesting game between the 2. Despite 3a and below being much smaller there are plenty of athletes still yet. With a limit on roster length i believe it would go either way. Who you got?

The difference wouldn't be in "number of athletes", it would be in the number of BIG players (linemen) who can RUN.

This comparison is between a pool of approx 18,000 boys (number of males in A-3A schools) vs a pool of 40,000 boys (number of males in 4A-6A schools).

It's nothing more than simple math. The larger group's team, all else being equal, should come out on top 69% of the time. The actual difference could be even worse because all things won't usually BE equal. A team put together for a game like this will have time for only the simplest of plays - plays which favor simple plays. The simplest entail running and blocking straight ahead. This plays to the bigger team's strength.
More kids more athletes. More fast kids more big kids. Simple principle. Mismatch.
How about 1a 3a 6a vs 2a 4a 5a?
chance_rollin Wrote:How about 1a 3a 6a vs 2a 4a 5a?

In the last game of the regular season, the 3A champ (Belfry) lost at home in a rout to Johnson Central. Which did not make it past the second round of 4A.

For what's that worth to the debate.
If you make up a roster from this season alone, of 55 players from the 4-6a finals games and the 1-3a finals games, I dont think there is any chance in hell an all star team from Mayfield/Wburg, NCC/Desales, and Wayne Co/Belfrey can beat any compilation of the 4-6a finals reps. I think the thought of 1 3 5 vs 2 4 6 would be alot more competitive. Morebalance of skill/size.
Thanks for the responses! I agree somewhat but still believe top players from smaller schools would match up just as well if not better than the bigger schools. It's really not simple math when you have athletes just as good and with a limit on the roster things could go either way. If you want to compare athletes look at central and Paducah tilghman along with mayfield and many other schools for speed. Belfry, somerset, wayne, and many other schools also have size as well that would match up. Merry Christmas to all, hope it's a good one!
And to be more clear I was referring to the entire state, not just championship teams