Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cumberlands Patriots- NAIA Championship
I notice the NAIA level is rarely recognized on here so I just wanted to bring up the fact that the University of the Cumberlands football team is playing in Rome, Georgia this Saturday against Grand View University for the NAIA title. The Patriots have already set school records this season for most wins in a season and they are looking to remain perfect on the year and bring their first title home.
Best of luck to them and I hope they can bring the title back home with them to Williamsburg.
Skimps Wrote:I notice the NAIA level is rarely recognized on here so I just wanted to bring up the fact that the University of the Cumberlands football team is playing in Rome, Georgia this Saturday against Grand View University for the NAIA title. The Patriots have already set school records this season for most wins in a season and they are looking to remain perfect on the year and bring their first title home.
Best of luck to them and I hope they can bring the title back home with them to Williamsburg.

Skimps,

Will we be able to watch this game online? If so, can you share a link please. Thanks in advance.

Good luck Patriots!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
I was down there last weekend for a track clinic, tons of excitement on campus. Williamsburg was on cloud 9 with Cumberland and Williamsburg's success on the gridiron this season.

Best of luck to the Patriots!
Spirit100 Wrote:Skimps,

Will we be able to watch this game online? If so, can you share a link please. Thanks in advance.

Good luck Patriots!!!

I haven't seen anything yet. I know Cumberlands had their semi-final game broadcasted but I think it cost $10 to watch it. I went to the naia website and saw that you can watch it on ESPN3
I have been posting every score for UC games all year.

Theres a thread dedicated to the NAIA playoffs I started and you can find all the threads by scrolling down.

The game will be on ESPN3.
UC usually broadcast there games live on there site, but Im guessing since ESPN is involved, they most likely wont be able to.
ROME, Ga. – (Press Book | Complete FCS Schedule | ESPN3) For the second-straight year, the 58th annual Russell Athletic-NAIA Football National Championship features a pair of title game newcomers as No. 1 Cumberlands (Ky.) and No. 2 Grand View (Iowa) square off. Kickoff from Barron Stadium is set for 4:34 EST and will be broadcast live on ESPN3. The event is hosted by the Rome Championship Committee for the sixth-consecutive season.

Cumberlands and Grand View enter Saturday as the NAIA’s only remaining unbeaten teams with 13-0 records and were the top two teams in the final regular season NAIA Coaches’ Top 25 Poll. This is the first time two undefeated teams, and the nation’s top two squads have played for the national title since perennial powerhouse Carroll (Mont.) and Sioux Falls (S.D.) met in 2010.

Cumberlands enters Saturday with a 5-6 all-time NAIA Football Championship Series (FCS) record in seven appearances. Prior to 2013, the Patriots, who are the first team out of the Mid-South Conference to reach the title game since Georgetown (Ky.) in 2002, had never advanced beyond the quarterfinals.

The Patriots feature the NAIA’s most potent rushing attack, averaging an NAIA-best 359.2 rushing yards per game and compiling 4,669 rushing yards this season. Cumberlands has run for more than 300 yards in 10-of-13 games this season, including a season-best 475-yard effort against Pikeville (Ky.) on Sept. 26. In the playoffs, the Patriots are averaging 366 rushing yards per game and 6.0 yards per carry.

Freshman quarterback Adam Craig, who was named the Mid-South’s Freshman Offensive Player of the Year, paces the team with 1,157 yards and 24 touchdowns on 208 attempts. Senior running back D’Angelo Jordan is second on the team with 1,130 rushing yards and 11 touchdowns. Jordan raced for a career-high 270 yards on 25 carries in the Patriots 28-14 win against Saint Francis in the FCS Quarterfinals on Nov. 30.

In addition to Jordan and Craig, tailbacks Hunter Lewis and Terrance Cobb have more than 500 yards on the ground. Lewis is third on the team with 578 yards on 72 carries, while Cobb is fourth with 529 yards on 92 carries. Cobb, an AFCA-NAIA All-American and the team’s leading rusher with 1,991 yards last year, has battled injuries all season and will not play in the championship game.

The Cumberlands’ offense also ranks among the top 10 nationally in third down conversion (1st; 53.8 percent), total scoring offense (1st; 593), scoring offense per game (2nd; 45.6), total offense per game (6th; 478.8), first downs per game (6th; 24.4) and pass efficiency (9th; 155.8).

Defensively, the Patriots rank 11th in the NAIA in scoring defense, allowing an average of 19.6 points per game. Cumberlands has held seven opponents to 17 points-or-less this season, including a 38-0 shutout win against Kentucky Christian on Nov. 9. Additionally, the unit surrenders 345.1 yards of total offense per game, including 128.5 yards on the ground.

Linebacker Weston Hazelhurst, a first team All-Mid-South East Division selection for the second-straight season, leads the team with 114 tackles (45 solo), 17.5 tackles for loss and 6.5 sacks. Arguably his best performance of the season came in the FCS Semifinals against Carroll, when the senior registered a season-high 17 tackles and a sack.

Grand View is the third-straight team from the Mid-States Football Association to play for the title, with Marian (Ind.) in 2012 and Saint Xavier (Ill.) in 2011 being the other two. A Viking victory on Saturday would also make it three-straight crowns for the league.

Much of the Vikings success this season is predicated on a defense that ranks first in the NAIA in sacks (53) and second in rushing defense per game (85.2), total defense per game (266) and scoring defense per game (14.8). Grand View has only allowed one opponent to score more than 21 points this season, and registered a 35-0 shutout of defending national runner-up Morningside (Iowa) on Dec. 7.

Senior linebacker and Mid-States Football Association Midwest Defensive Player of the Year Jason Gladfelder is the cornerstone of the Vikings’ defense. He leads the squad with 76 tackles (61 solo), 25.5 tackles for loss and 15 sacks, while ranking second on the team in interceptions with three.

Sophomore quarterback Derek Fulton, who is in his second full season as the starter for Grand View, is the sparkplug for the Vikings’ offense. He enters Saturday ranked seventh in the NAIA in total offense (3,784) and passing (3,151). Fulton is completing 64.2 percent (231-of-36) of his throws this season, including 30 touchdowns. He has thrown for more than 275 yards six times this season, including a season-high 312-yard effort against Morningside in the FCS Semifinals on Dec. 7. He also leads the team in rushing with 633 yards on 153 carries.

Fulton’s favorite target this season has been junior wide receiver Brady Roland. Roland leads the Grand View receiving corps with 76 catches (fourth-best in the NAIA) for 1,220 yards (third-best in the NAIA) and 13 touchdowns. Roland caught at least one touchdown pass in 10-of-13 games this year.

As a team, Grand View averages 37.5 points and 458.5 total yards per game – both of which rank among the top 10 in the NAIA.

Both squads have wins against eight ranked opponents this season.
Don't forget UC's QB is just a frosh. You will see him for 3 more years.

Also, Terrance Cobb, arguably the best player in the country has been hurt all year for UC.
With him, im not sure UC even struggle with anybody. Its very possible he gets drafted.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I have been posting every score for UC games all year.

Theres a thread dedicated to the NAIA playoffs I started and you can find all the threads by scrolling down.

The game will be on ESPN3.
UC usually broadcast there games live on there site, but Im guessing since ESPN is involved, they most likely wont be able to.

My bad, guess I didn't really look before posting this haha
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Don't forget UC's QB is just a frosh. You will see him for 3 more years.

Also, Terrance Cobb, arguably the best player in the country has been hurt all year for UC.
With him, im not sure UC even struggle with anybody. Its very possible he gets drafted.

I heard Cobb's injury was a possible threat of ending his career. I hope not though. He had a bright future.
Skimps Wrote:My bad, guess I didn't really look before posting this haha

No need to apologize to Gut other than to say sorry he's a Ravens fan. Good job on picking up his slack when he fell asleep at the Patriot wheel Confusednicker:.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
Want to congratulate former JC player, Jimmy Preston, who has worked his way into the starting defensive lineup as a true freshman too.
Halftime, down.21-17. Im really hoping for a Cumberlands win, Im currently completing my MAT through them. :-)
Final?