Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trading Brandon Phillips??
Yankees, Reds reportedly discussed Phillips deal
New York rejects trade offer from Cincinnati, asking for Gardner in exchange
Mark Sheldon / MLB.com12/12/13 10:31:41 AM EST

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- The Reds and Yankees have held trade talks regarding All-Star second baseman Brandon Phillips, MLB.com confirmed via an industry source on Wednesday night.

Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com first reported that New York declined a trade offer for Phillips in exchange for outfielder and potential leadoff hitter Brett Gardner. Heyman also reported that Phillips asked for his contract to be reopened to give him more money to agree to a trade.

A person with knowledge of the Yankees' thinking said that reports of the discussions about a deal involving Phillips and Gardner were "way overblown."

The person said that the Yankees do not plan on trading Gardner, saying, "[If they did,] it would have to be in a valuable pitching capacity."

An MLB.com source revealed the Yankees are one of the teams listed in Phillips' limited no-trade clause. The Reds would need his approval before they could deal him to the Yankees.

New York has a void at second base after losing out on re-signing Robinson Cano, who agreed to a 10-year contract with the Mariners. The Yankees have touched base with free agent Omar Infante as a possible replacement.

The Reds, who expect to lose free agent Shin-Soo Choo, are in need of a center fielder and leadoff hitter with a short-term contract that can let them take their time to develop prospect Billy Hamilton.

Gardner, who batted .273 with a .344 on-base percentage in 145 games last season, is arbitration-eligible for a third time and can become a free agent after the 2014 season.

Phillips, 32, has four years and $50 million remaining on his contract. In 2013, he batted .261 with 18 home runs, 103 RBIs and a .310 on-base percentage.

Reds general manager Walt Jocketty told Phillips last week he was not actively shopping Phillips for a trade, but he did also say he would look at opportunities if they're presented.
Is he there come spring training??? It don't look like it IMO!
Thoughts
Also saw rumors that he was proposed to the Dodgers along with Bailey for Matt Kemp. I feel that is too much for an injury-prone guy.
I honestly just think the Reds should keep him
Phillips regressed offensively last season, and shown some major bad signs by complaining about the front office.

I'm just unsure right now.
If he is a cancer he needs to go. If not I would try to get a top line starting pitcher for him or keep him.
If the Reds trade Phillips, then they better get a really good amount in return. An all-star and multiple gold glove winner for just a lead off hitter?
First off, it is ridiculous to call Phillips a cancer to the team! He is outspoken, and the awesome thing about BP is he accepts blame and puts it all on his shoulders, something that NO ONE else in that locker room did. As for regressing last year, the guy was inured the whole season. He stepped up and played, yet never got credit for it.

It was his outspokenness that finally led the Reds to get rid of Dusty for being a failure to lead! So what do the Reds do, they look to deal the most charismatic player that this organization may have ever had! In a city that bitches that our athletes are not leaders and won't speak up, guys like Phillips and Boomer Esiason were ridiculed when they did!

There is no way that BP is back next season! Once you start putting this guy out on a line like your washed underwear, there is no way they can put him on a Spring Training field! It's a shame, this guy meant too much to the team. He will be the best defensive 2nd baseman in Reds history, and will be 2nd to only Joe Morgan offensively! But just like Barry Larkin, Pete Rose, Tony Perez, they will shun him like he meant nothing!
I doubt he's getting traded now, the market for 2nd baseman is limited.

They tried to deal him to the Yankees (who lost Robinson Cano, therefore in dire need of a 2nd baseman) and even they couldn't agree to a deal.

So I think Phillips will remain a Red.