Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 21 - Bourbon Co 13
Congrats to the Pirates. Great game once the offence got clicking. Good luck against Wayne Co., as you represent the East in 3-A
Had a blast at Bourbon County tonight! The place was packed and the Belfry crowd made it feel like a home game. Very disappointed that Bourbon had a good crowd but except for the students, only half the other fans decided to cheer for their team. Our fans definitely was the 12th man tonight. Both teams came out tight, I must admit Belfry seemed out of sync plus the zebras were just horrible! About midway through the first quarter Belfry's defense started clicking and it kept getting better. Offensively the second quarter Belfry woke up and do what they've done all year. The TD at the half and the opening TD of the second was the backbreaker for Bourbon. Pope threw decent passes...timing still off after being gone so long and the Receivers made him look really bad.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PantherTradition Wrote:Hope the Pirates bring home another title. Just a thought, if Belfry wins this one does Haywood retire and go out on top? Or does he come back to win another one?
Coach Haywood is not thinking of himself. He is not worried going out on top. I'd say as long as he has the ability to coach and can teach these boys to be men, he'll be on the Belfry sidelines. Here's for wishful thinking anyway.
Congratulations Belfry!

Best of luck next week.
What a beautiful field Bourbon Co. has ..if they ever add adequate seating that place will be top notch.
First off I'll say this, Its already been said a couple of times but it needs emphasized, THE REFS WERE AWFUL!!!!!!!! ILL leave it at that... Great game Pirates. You all never let up and kept your nose to the grindstone and wore BoCo down as the game went along.. You could def tell as the 2nd half progressed that BoCo was getting winded.. Belfry Did what Belfry does, RUN IT AT YA ALL NIGHT LONG. Hats off to ya BoCo. Nice team, just not the better team tonight... Like some have said i seen speed but it was nothing like Belfry hasnt already seen in Central... On to Bowling Green Pirates... Lets bring it home for these Seniors... They have been to the BIG DANCE every single year of their highschool career... ITS TIME THEY GO OUT ON TOP!!!!!!!!!!!
I would love to know who had more fans there, BELFRY or Boco. There was def no more room to sit down...
I was at game and good job Belfry. I have to bring up one thing. How does an adult sit in the press box and hold the clock and cheat on teenagers. This person at Bourbon County really has a lot of class trying to cheat teenagers and I'm surprised if Bourbon County would let anyone like this have anything to do with their school athletic program. This has been reported to the KHSAA and they have game tape. Once again Bourbon County in a weak district and region. Mountain football just wore this city school down. Can't hang with the mountain boys?? Bourbon County 13-1 and Big Red moving on to Bowling Green. See you next year when you bring your undefeated record to Belfry and take another but whopping.
I have to admit Bourbon was better than I expected them to be, that was one heck of a ball game! A lot of the fans from Bourbon left with 7 minutes to go in the 4th which was pretty disappointing because it was still anyone's ball game at the point.

Belfry's ad played well tonight, stepped up snd controlled the LOS, although wrapping up is still an issue for the pirates. Multiple times they had the ball carrier in the backfield and let him slip away. Luckily it didn't come back to bite us tonight. Our secondary also got caught sleeping a few times, which can't happen next week.

Offensively I thought we did well minus the first few possessions. The backfield did excellet toniight. Hatfield really is a game changer. The kid is a BEAST at FB. He wasn't stopped all night. Johnson was explosive as always, had some really nice carries. Carr came up big as well. Their D was a little to fast for Dari to break the corner and get into open field.

Looking forward to next week!
Congrats to the Pirates.

After a rough 1st quarter, really for both teams, Belfry settled down as a team. Bourbon did not, which the Belfry D had to with that.

IMO, Haywood and staff simply came in with a game plan and worked it to near perfection. Bourbons high powered offense was simply shut down by the Belfry D. I heard a stat after the 3rd quarter ended that Bourbon had 94 total yards of offense.

Belfrys offense, which is their 12th man on D, just pounded the ball down field eating up several minutes on each drive. Like i have said many times before, "you know whats coming,but you still have to stop it", and not many do.

Bourbon did prove they are a better ball club than many thought. I knew they would give the Pirates a game, but as i said in my prediction "the Pirates had faced adversity all year and found ways to win". When you have the "National Coach of the Year" on your sideline you tend to find ways to win.

Congrats and good luck in BG Pond Creek Nation!!! This Blackcat will be pulling for you.

Congrats Bourbon on a great season. Your program is definitley on the rise.
If Belfry doesn't move early or put it on the ground, they are tuff to keep from moving the chains.

Horton, Duty, and Hatfield played great on the front line.
Grate job pirats!!
PaytoPlay Wrote:If Belfry doesn't move early or put it on the ground, they are tuff to keep from moving the chains.

Horton, Duty, and Hatfield played great on the front line.

Graet players with a great coach who knows how to use them... Great win!!
I try to be reasonable on here, and it certainly isn't my intent to denigrate Bourbon County. That said, the clock operate took direction from the Bourbon coach on several occasions to add time to the clock - and I did not see the ref involved in any way. I thought it was unusual, but perhaps there is a good explanation.

The game is over and sometimes fans make too much over minor things, but I did notice that in particular.
PaytoPlay Wrote:I try to be reasonable on here, and it certainly isn't my intent to denigrate Bourbon County. That said, the clock operate took direction from the Bourbon coach on several occasions to add time to the clock - and I did not see the ref involved in any way. I thought it was unusual, but perhaps there is a good explanation.

The game is over and sometimes fans make too much over minor things, but I did notice that in particular.

There were a few stoppages by the refs and they came over telling the Bourbon coaches to add time to the clock due to it running after going out of bounds and things like that. I saw it 3 or 4 times at least where the refs did that.
HSFOOTBALL Wrote:Calm down buddy its over, fumbles are part of your offensive scheme, I would be anxious to know when the last time Belfry played a game without fumbling, not turning it over, just fumbling, its part of the Belly read.... and it wouldn't have been a blowout either way.

I was just noting that Johnson burned Warren 3 times for what is usually 3 touchdowns, and tonight it wasn't. I am by no means making excuses, I thought Belfry (outside of the first quarter) executed to near perfection, and Bourbon didn't.

I gave Belfry and Haywood their props, you should learn to take a compliment

I'm very calm buddy, yes it is over. Yes, fumbling the ball is part of the game, just as overthrows and dropped passes are. What I wrote, I wrote in sarcasm. Because from reading what you wrote did indeed sound as excuses to me. I take as a fan compliments very well, as long as they don't sound backhanded. Congrats to Bourbon County and prayers to the young man that hurt his leg.
After a good nights sleep and thinking on the game. I would like to say that the QB #15 for BC is a gamer, enjoyed watching him play. The kid never quit and continued to try to make plays.:Thumbs: Bourbon County has a very good football team and the game finished about the way I thought and hoped it would. I never make predictions in the prediction thread, but this game in my mind could have went either way.I really liked Bourbons field, it was beautiful. My only complaint was the seating. I hate paying $28 to watch a ballgame only to be looking at the backs of players over half the game. Shame there is not better seating for fans in a game of that scale. The officials seemed bad, but again, I could not see much of what was going on.
Crossbones Wrote:After a good nights sleep and thinking on the game. I would like to say that the QB #15 for BC is a gamer, enjoyed watching him play. The kid never quit and continued to try to make plays.:Thumbs: Bourbon County has a very good football team and the game finished about the way I thought and hoped it would. I never make predictions in the prediction thread, but this game in my mind could have went either way.I really liked Bourbons field, it was beautiful. My only complaint was the seating. I hate paying $28 to watch a ballgame only to be looking at the backs of players over half the game. Shame there is not better seating for fans in a game of that scale. The officials seemed bad, but again, I could not see much of what was going on.

I felt the same way. I honestly couldn't see most of the game and that's not a good thing for a state semi-final game.
I'm impressed with Belfry. I had them going down in this one.
HSFOOTBALL Wrote:As noted, I don't think Belfry handled Bourbon's speed as well as they did last year. If you were at the game, then you saw the misses and the long touchdown called back. And those statements you made are true statements, Bourbon was much better than last year, and they had demolished all of their competition.

I have wished your team good luck, show some class and move on to your Wayne County thread.

On a different note, Prayers for Brent Holman as he did in fact break his leg in the fourth quarter tonight.

You're such a pansy. You talk crap all week long and want to pull the "show some class" move when called on it?

Get over your self little guy. Eat your crow like a man and afterwards continue being the female dog you naturally are.
Yes, it was one of if not the worst venue to watch a football game that I have been too.
My perspectives

The BAD
1. The Zebras were horrible
2. The seating - horrendous
3. The school (Those kids deserve a nice school)
4. BOCO Fans - 80% didnt stand up and cheer their team enough and they started leaving with 8 minutes to go in the game...sad.

The GOOD
1. The 20% of BOCO fans that cheered their team til the end - hats off to you!
2. The field was beautiful
3. The BOCO administration for the extra bleachers..although could have used about 5 more sets of them
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Haha nice comment coming from the tough guy who made gay comments about the team video. I would love to eat crow except I made no predictions.

I bet Pirate1991 #2 would be the fastest on the field. True
I said Bourbon was much better than last year. True
I said Belfry would not blow them out this year. True
HSFOOTBALL Wrote:Haha nice comment coming from the tough guy who made gay comments about the team video. I would love to eat crow except I made no predictions.

I bet Pirate1991 #2 would be the fastest on the field. True
I said Bourbon was much better than last year. True
I said Belfry would not blow them out this year. True

Hang your hat on all the above.

I'll take the W every time. Get ready for some BoCo basketball.

I'm booking my room in Bowling Green alongside the same people with WV license plates who made the trip to Bourbon county.
There was about 15 or so Belfry fans sitting near me on the home side.

I was proud of how well Belfry travelled.
Leonidas Wrote:Hang your hat on all the above.

I'll take the W every time. Get ready for some BoCo basketball.

I'm booking my room in Bowling Green alongside the same people with WV license plates who made the trip to Bourbon county.

Thats nice, and I congratulated you, I'm not sure where you are getting confused here?
Game is over trash talk needs to stop. The only thing makes me have no respect for BoCo fans is the ones that were overheard saying very bad comments to some of the Belfry fans. I know there's good and bad in all fan bases. But to call someone incest. C'mon. That ain't right.
A lot of people talked junk all week from both sides. If we were on the losing end I'd have expected to take a little ribbing from Bourbon fans. That comes with the territory, but the first time somebody brings it up in this thread you act like they're classless.

That's not the way it works man.
Kaleb Edwards had a very nice game defensively. He was playing on the edge of a penalty a couple of times but I liked his aggressiveness.

Justin Johnson played very well for Belfry. Very happy for the young man. I hope he goes off next Friday.

With all due respect to D. Dari, the Hatfield, Carr, JJ backfield is the go to.
Now that I have slept on it, here is my take away and final post in this thread since it's now State Title week!!

Bourbon Co :
- The Colonels hang the moon on the big play. It seemed that all night long the Colonels would run 1 - 2 decent plays, seemed like they were going to settle down and start to drive they would turn right back and take 1 - 2 shots at the home run and then Belfry had the ball. Besides the final BoCo desperation drive of the night they did not execute very well in my eyes.

Dakota Mitchell is a beast and the Defense was well prepared for what Belfry was going to be doing early on. They however suffered from a weak schedule that did not test them al year long. This showed as the 3rd and 4th quarter rolled on when BoCo defense just seemed defeated and hung their heads several times on Belfry first downs.

Belfry:
I said earlier this year (I think in the JC pre game thread) that Belfry has been sloppy with ball control and penalties but the offense and defense had been good enough to overcome those mistakes most of the year. Tonight was no different. Some in the update thread where happy with what BoCo was doing defensively early in the game by stopping Belfry on 1 - 2 yard gains. Anyone who has watched Belfry in big games knew it was only a matter of time until things opened up and the opposing defense wore down. It was Sani to Keaton on about 2 plays in which Keaton made tacklers miss that really got the Pirates moving. Once BoCo defense had to cover Keaton on the quick pass, the middle and the outside things got ugly for them.

Defensively the Pirates played excellent football, aside from the secondary getting beat deep about three times they executed well, took the much needed big play away from BoCo and made them play their kind of football.

Final:
Controversial but needs if's and buts need to be said. BoCo was gifted the first 6. A pretty bad dead ball call on Belfry during the drive and a horrible no call on the opening TD run. The final 7 came from another lucky stroke when Hatfield uncharacteristically coughed it up. BoCo could have very easily been blanked in this one. On the other hand Belfry got very, very lucky on about 3 of the BoCo home run attempts. Had Pope and his receivers clicked any at all on the deep ball or the long Holman play not been called back then this is an entirely different ballgame and could have gone down to the wire.

Excellent game overall, Bourbon needs to face adversity in the future to overcome the Belfry's and I hope they travel to the CAM next year, these last 2 years have been fun.