Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ryle- Who becomes HC
Canes Wrote:Highlands Def coordinator is not ready for a head coaching job of this magnitude.

I agree I think outside of Woolf no coach without HC experience at a 3a or bigger school will even be looked at. (Excluding Beechwood)
TNT-MB1 Wrote:I agree I think outside of Woolf no coach without HC experience at a 3a or bigger school will even be looked at. (Excluding Beechwood)

There in could be the problem with Northern Kentucky Football as a whole. Everybody (Coaches) is recycled, no new blood or ideas thus we are unable to compete with Lexington, Louisville, and Ohio. Just a thought. Has progressive football passed us by? Are we playing catch-up with everyone else? Do we need some new blood?
Raiderforlife Wrote:There in could be the problem with Northern Kentucky Football as a whole. Everybody (Coaches) is recycled, no new blood or ideas thus we are unable to compete with Lexington, Louisville, and Ohio. Just a thought. Has progressive football passed us by? Are we playing catch-up with everyone else? Do we need some new blood?

Some truth to this.
My question for this is what new blood are you speaking of? Who? Where?
Boone County did that this season and the style was such a drastic change they went 0-11.

In Lexington;
We compete with everyone in Lexington but Scott County. You have to remember Scott County is the only high school in the district they have 2,400 kids to chose from compare to Ryle's 1649. They have 400 more boys to choose from.

In Louisville;
Trinity has 1400 boys and St. X has 1300 Boys and they can "recruit" those boys.
Male & Manual are about the same size as Ryle but different caliber of athletes
The other Louisville schools all have between 1500-1900 students and once again different caliber of athletes.
Don't believe me watch a state track meet.

In Ohio;
Colerain has 2200 students and a different type of athlete and Ryle wasn't obliterated by them like they thought they'd be.
Sycamore has 1850 students and is the level of high school team we should play from Ohio. We only lost 28-0 and it was really 28-7 besides the worst officiated call I've ever seen.
Woolf would be an excellent coach and an easy transition. Ryle had nothing this season that's the hard truth we were too young from the start. You can't win many games with 75% of your Senior class out for the season in week 2. Woolf is a proven Defensive coach and will remain no matter who the new coach is. When the new coach asks for applicants for a new DC. How will he turn down Woolfs resume? Woolf also I am certain has learned from Bryson's mistakes with the offense Bryson ran you won't win in Louisville.
I think Woolf would be able to attract a top level OC to help build the program back.
All I know is that Pop Morgan was shopping his kid around to other local N Ky high schools before they left for Hazard. Not meaning that in the financial sense of course- just seeing who would be interested and how he would fit in the program. Rumor was that Mr Morgan wanted to play a bigger role in the offensive play calling but wasn't going to get it thru Warner. Talk about the very definition of Daddy ball coaches. Wish them the best of luck down in Hazard- heard he just had a bad automobile accident.
bluedad1 Wrote:All I know is that Pop Morgan was shopping his kid around to other local N Ky high schools before they left for Hazard. Not meaning that in the financial sense of course- just seeing who would be interested and how he would fit in the program. Rumor was that Mr Morgan wanted to play a bigger role in the offensive play calling but wasn't going to get it thru Warner. Talk about the very definition of Daddy ball coaches. Wish them the best of luck down in Hazard- heard he just had a bad automobile accident.

A lot of that is bad rumors. They moved due to personal issues absolutely nothing to do with the football situation. Of course TM was incredible so a lot of speculation was attributed to the sudden move. I'm not one to air people's dirty laundry so I will let someone else put up what happened.

But,
Ask yourself why would you move to Hazard for Football when you would of seen varsity time as a Freshman at a 6a School that's on the weak side of the 6a bracket the next 2 years.

And yes He was in a very serious accident but he will be alright thru power of prayer last I had heard.
Ryle is excepting applicants till Jan 6th and will start the Interview process-

Ryle has an AD that will not be leaving anytime soon so any speculation for a Head Football Coach/AD please leave out.
Bluedad
Your information teeters on being punitive. It's almost accurate with a tasteless twist. Morgan May have had some issues with Warner. He may have been "shopping his kid around" but he was doing that because he was not going to be allowed to do exactly what you are accusing the program of doing. You have made your own counter argument. You are also coming off as a hater. That may be your intent, I hope not but it is the picture all are painting of you based on your comments.
Look guys- not to get the thread sidetracked but Pick 6 brought it up and I answered. It is true that the RUMOR was Sr Morgan wanted to play a bigger role and was refused- of that I can't be certain. But it is an absolute fact that he was also talking to area coaches about young Morgan Attending another school besides Ryle. I used a term that probably shouldn't have been used but thought I clarified it. I certainly don't see anything "punitive" or inflammatory about what I've said. He wanted his kid to play in an offense more conducive to his sons skills- is that even debatable?
I think you bring up an interesting point. Private schools and public schools are apples and oranges. I am not sure what the enrollment is at Cov Cath but Ryle has 1649 students with over half being girls. That means they actually only have 800 boys in the school. Add to that the Ryle can only take students within its borders and you do have some clear competition issues. Having said that I believe that Ryle can and will compete in the near future. The new HC is going to have to look at using speed and deception to compensate for size. That will require a bit of a change in philosophy. It does not mean that you have to eliminate the run game it just means you have change the approach to the running game. I am not sure any of the local coaches have the experience to make those kind of radical changes. Having said that I do believe that Woolf would be open to that kind of OC. I believe that gives him a real shot at the HC job. I would add that the community seems to be a little hesitant with Coach Woolf because they are concerned he will keep some of the assistants. I think that perception will be his biggest hurdle.
Ps. I did not say anything about the passing game because we did not have one. I think it is obvious that we must have a passing game and a running game to be competitive.
The idea that parents are shopping their kids around is rather appalling. The reality is that very few NKY football players receive any athletic scholarship dollars to attend D1 schools to play football. Less than 1% will play college football. Parents have taken the joy out of the game for these kids. When they realize that they are not D1 talent they become disenfranchised with the game. When I was a kid I played because I loved the game. My parents never once had a conversation with my high school coach other than to shake his hand at the end on my high school career. I do not have an issue with Dads who are coaches- I have been one. I do have an issue with a Dad who became a coach while their son played. That reeks of selfishness. If Dads want to help their sons teach them a strong work ethic, to have respect for authority, and how to be productive whole men. If Dads do that it won't matter who the coaches are every young man will be successful in life.
I agree with what you have said.
At the risk of creating a side topic, I do want to further clarify the "shopping around" term I used. If a young person in the 8th grade is unhappy with where they might be going, and the area school districts support an infrastructure that allows them to check out other options, I see no problem with taking advantage of that scenario. I used the term to imply checking out the options, seeing where your son could help the most and be helped in return with solid coaching and terrific academic support. Good, bad or indifferent, this is the lot that Ryle faces- existing in an area surrounded by a county who accepts open enrollment and with several private schools to boot.
bluedad1 Wrote:I agree with what you have said.
At the risk of creating a side topic, I do want to further clarify the "shopping around" term I used. If a young person in the 8th grade is unhappy with where they might be going, and the area school districts support an infrastructure that allows them to check out other options, I see no problem with taking advantage of that scenario. I used the term to imply checking out the options, seeing where your son could help the most and be helped in return with solid coaching and terrific academic support. Good, bad or indifferent, this is the lot that Ryle faces- existing in an area surrounded by a county who accepts open enrollment and with several private schools to boot.
The issue is the same. With the exception of Beechwood we (Ryle) has the best academic program in northern KY. Don't take my word for this look up the 2014 state statistics. If parents are moving kids for athletic reasons I would question the lesson they are teaching their children. That is why we have generations of kids who are almost un-coachable. They think they are better evaluators than the coaching staff further they put their personal goals in front of team goals. That just cannot and does not work in superior programs.
Raiderforlife Wrote:I think you bring up an interesting point. Private schools and public schools are apples and oranges. I am not sure what the enrollment is at Cov Cath but Ryle has 1649 students with over half being girls. That means they actually only have 800 boys in the school. Add to that the Ryle can only take students within its borders and you do have some clear competition issues. Having said that I believe that Ryle can and will compete in the near future. The new HC is going to have to look at using speed and deception to compensate for size. That will require a bit of a change in philosophy. It does not mean that you have to eliminate the run game it just means you have change the approach to the running game. I am not sure any of the local coaches have the experience to make those kind of radical changes. Having said that I do believe that Woolf would be open to that kind of OC. I believe that gives him a real shot at the HC job. I would add that the community seems to be a little hesitant with Coach Woolf because they are concerned he will keep some of the assistants. I think that perception will be his biggest hurdle.

So, in your opinion, which coaches need to go, which ones need to stay if Coach Woolf gets the job?
CJTank74 Wrote:So, in your opinion, which coaches need to go, which ones need to stay if Coach Woolf gets the job?

I say do away with everyone but Woolf, Colley, Harden & Belk.
Yes I said Belk because he has coaches majority of this upcoming senior class for the past 6 years. He was made out to be the bad guy a lot but he is a solid defensive coach.
Dudes a military vet and played at South Carolina deserves more credit than he's given.

I say do away with everyone else because that is what it will take to shut up the parents of Union. There good coaches but if I'm the new Coach I want no ties to the recent Warner offensive era.
I think Woolf keeps Harden, Colley, and Ryan. I don't think that the others are bad I just think this will help with some of the community critics. I also think that this would eliminate all father coaches with the exception of Woolf. I happen to like many of the other coaches and think they are very good coaches and will be missed. I think eliminating several of the freshman coaches will hurt the program but will help with some of the perception issues. This is why I think an unfamiliar HC might be the better answer. Woolf would not be put in this awkward position if hewed not the HC. I do not believe that we lose Woolf and Harden no matter what.
Raiderforlife Wrote:The idea that parents are shopping their kids around is rather appalling. The reality is that very few NKY football players receive any athletic scholarship dollars to attend D1 schools to play football. Less than 1% will play college football. Parents have taken the joy out of the game for these kids. When they realize that they are not D1 talent they become disenfranchised with the game. When I was a kid I played because I loved the game. My parents never once had a conversation with my high school coach other than to shake his hand at the end on my high school career. I do not have an issue with Dads who are coaches- I have been one. I do have an issue with a Dad who became a coach while their son played. That reeks of selfishness. If Dads want to help their sons teach them a strong work ethic, to have respect for authority, and how to be productive whole men. If Dads do that it won't matter who the coaches are every young man will be successful in life.

Union needs more people that think like this...

Standing ovation:rockon::rockon::notworthy:Clap::Clap:
bluedad1 Wrote:I agree with what you have said.

the personal problem would stop them from being able to go to a private school or move to another county.
Looking at the list of coaches on the football site, I think Woolf will keep a few more of the coaches than you guys think he will.
I do not pretend to know who Woolf would keep or add. I like and would like to keep several more of the existing coaches however that might not be a prudent idea with the existing community sentiment. I believe that he could add some of the freshman coaches and create a very solid team. That being said he needs the autonomy to do whatever he feels is necessary to create a solid program.
I don't understand what you mean "the personal problem would stop them from being able to go to a private school or move to another county."
If a middle school kid in N Ky has not played varsity minutes (which effectively locks them in to that High School) what's stopping them from going outside their district?
:eyeroll:I think Dale Mueller is going to stick it to Highlands and come to RyleTongueirateSho
bluedad1 Wrote:I don't understand what you mean "the personal problem would stop them from being able to go to a private school or move to another county."
If a middle school kid in N Ky has not played varsity minutes (which effectively locks them in to that High School) what's stopping them from going outside their district?
Students in the Boone county system are required to attend the school they are zoned to attend. The only exception is if they have an exceptional need ie... The Mosses. They can all attend private schools but that is an out of pocket expense. They are not permitted to attend Kenton County unless they live in the county. I would suggest that parents who move their kids illegally are teaching their kids to cheat.
Why is Ryle viewed as a good job? 10 losing seasons in 22 years?
Thunder Lips Wrote:Why is Ryle viewed as a good job? 10 losing seasons in 22 years?

Financial backing, community support, size of school, facilities, fan base, Best school colors in NKY, newer school chance to build a solid reputation, only one losing season with less than 3 wins, 1 more state title appearance than Dixie or Campbell or Boone in the past 15 years. A superior upcoming Junior/Sophmore group to almost all NkY programs. 6a, $$$$$$$$, location, community growth,

Winning 12/22 seasons in a schools first 25 years is impressive especially when those 10 losing seasons weren't terrible aside from this season. I bet if you look at Dixie, SK, Boone & Campbell's first 22 years of football Ryle has a better playoff record and more title or semi final appearances than them. And Ryle has probably beat Highlands more than them as well 2x in 22 years lol

Cooper was built and cut into the schools population but Union is still growing and will continue to which will continue to expand on the schools size.
Worst season in Ryle History as they went 2-9 and is the first year they have only won 2 games. Ryle has had only two 3 win seasons & only one 4 win season.

Otherwise they have finished with atleast 5 wins. Ryle's overall record since 1995.

126 - 95 regular season
57% winning record
56 - 53 vs district opponents
14 - 18 in the playoffs
TNT-MB1 Wrote:14 - 18 in the playoffs

Ryle has advanced past the 2nd round of the playoffs just twice in 22 years.

Sounds like a job where the affluent community thinks it is a much better job than it really is. Money can buy nice facilities and uniforms, but it can't make the Jim's and joes better players.
Thunder Lips Wrote:Ryle has advanced past the 2nd round of the playoffs just twice in 22 years.

Sounds like a job where the affluent community thinks it is a much better job than it really is. Money can buy nice facilities and uniforms, but it can't make the Jim's and joes better players.
Not far off with the last comment. The affluent/type "a" trait that gets you there tends to give some a sense of knowing it all.
Do not underestimate the value of supportive parents and boosters. They can make the job of Head Coach easier, or , a lot harder. Under Thompson at Boone , he decided that he simply had too much responsibility to directly interface with parents and boosters. He was completely inaccessible. This resulted in a very tense relationship between parents, boosters and the coaching staff.

I contrast this with our experience with Marksberry, who is extremely accessible and responsive to parents and boosters. I believe a big component of the next Ryle HC will how will they approach parents and boosters? Will they try and isolate themselves or will they be accessible? Will they be able to cultivate the boosters as supporters?

If a head coach also has a full time teaching position, will it be even possible to be accessible to parents and boosters?