Poll: Somerset or NCC
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
NCC
50.00%
Somerset
50.00%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Somerset @ Newport Central Catholic 11/29 class 2A Semifinals
30 going on 40 Wrote:I see that Somerset's (or Pulaski County) local paper has already built in the excuse that Somerset is playing a private school, and how unfair it is. Hilarious. Same arguments, same conspiracy theorists, different year.

It may not be completely "unfair" but it is definitely not "fair".
30 going on 40 Wrote:I see that Somerset's (or Pulaski County) local paper has already built in the excuse that Somerset is playing a private school, and how unfair it is. Hilarious. Same arguments, same conspiracy theorists, different year.

No Excuse. Prepare, Play and Win. Good Luck to the best Team. From what I've seen on film Jumpers are best Team!!!!Confusednicker:Confusednicker:

http://www.somerset-kentucky.com/localsp...oad-Region

The last paragraph sets the tone.....how sad.
If not for a drop pick by pburg that would have went for a TD, somerset squeaks by. Pburg may have been the better team, but the best team doesnt always win.
NKYfootballfan91 Wrote:If not for a drop pick by pburg that would have went for a TD, somerset squeaks by. Pburg may have been the better team, but the best team doesnt always win.

Hummmmmmm sorry but somerset WAS the better team? And I think these guys are going to be the better team in three days as well
Here we are 1 year later and NCC is still going to beat Somerset to go to another state championship game this year. The difference is, they will lose when they get there.
This year has already been a year for teams getting over the hump.. I also believe it continues as Somerset gets the W.
strawberryshakeman Wrote:http://www.somerset-kentucky.com/localsp...oad-Region

Agreed. That paragraph is a load of manure and ruined a good article IMO. I have no problems with the private schools. That's just the way it is so get over it. If you want to claim to be the best then beat all challengers, be it from the private or public schools.
mysonis55 Wrote:Here we are 1 year later and NCC is still going to beat Somerset to go to another state championship game this year. The difference is, they will lose when they get there.

Maybe that happens, and maybe it doesn't, but at least the Breds will be there in Bowling Green. Haters gonna hate!!
Do you really think the jumpers can get over the hump this year?
strawberryshakeman Wrote:http://www.somerset-kentucky.com/localsp...oad-Region

That's that guys opinion, not mine or most others.
mysonis55 Wrote:Do you really think the jumpers can get over the hump this year?

Yes I do.. They have won 3 away games in the playoff which is very tough and going for there 4th... They have played a brutal schedule and I think they can do it..
That article was written by a father of a current coach who was also a former player. He wanted to call us "Monday Morning Quarterbacks" out so I thought everyone should know who wrote that article. I know that the author of the article never donned the gold head gear. I'm not sure if he's upset because NCC ended his son's career or what. What I can tell you is I played against NCC in high school and lost. I never one time gave a second thought to the public/private debate. I was more concerned with beating Danville. I can guarantee you that the current players could care less about the public private stuff. They just want to beat NCC so that they can play one more week with their brothers. I watched these same kids 2 years ago say good bye to their seniors that included by son...I've watched my son's college team say good bye to seniors each of the last two seasons. It doesn't get any easier. I've seen him make friends with some of his college team mates from NCC like Chris Kelley, and Nate Rawe and realized that kids are kids. That's all there is. Our kids want to win, your kids want to win but they're just kids. Godspeed to them all.
mysonis55 Wrote:Here we are 1 year later and NCC is still going to beat Somerset to go to another state championship game this year. The difference is, they will lose when they get there.

Eating crow thread?
Walt Longmire Wrote:That article was written by a father of a current coach who was also a former player. He wanted to call us "Monday Morning Quarterbacks" out so I thought everyone should know who wrote that article. I know that the author of the article never donned the gold head gear. I'm not sure if he's upset because NCC ended his son's career or what. What I can tell you is I played against NCC in high school and lost. I never one time gave a second thought to the public/private debate. I was more concerned with beating Danville. I can guarantee you that the current players could care less about the public private stuff. They just want to beat NCC so that they can play one more week with their brothers. I watched these same kids 2 years ago say good bye to their seniors that included by son...I've watched my son's college team say good bye to seniors each of the last two seasons. It doesn't get any easier. I've seen him make friends with some of his college team mates from NCC like Chris Kelley, and Nate Rawe and realized that kids are kids. That's all there is. Our kids want to win, your kids want to win but they're just kids. Godspeed to them all.

Thanks for shedding the light on the situation. Would you agree this way of thinking is embedded in the Somerset coaching staff? Is Singleton getting his article information from his son?
Mr. Singleton needs a geography lesson. Newport Central Catholic is located approximately 2 miles from Highlands. Highlands is the public school for the largest city in Campbell County. They also are the most successful program in NKY. So...do students go to NewCath and pay tuition or go to Highlands for free and play in a much better atmosphere every Friday??? To the north is Newport High School. That would make sense for Catholic students in Newport to go to the Catholic school bearing the city's name. To the north east is Bellevue and Dayton. NewCath gets a few students from there. We'd get more, but we offer very little in tuition breaks and many can't afford it. To the west is Wilder, split b/n Brossart, NewCath, and Highlands. Also to the west is Southgate, split b/n Newport, NewCath, and Highlands. To the south is Highland Heights and Cold Spring. NewCath gets a split w/ Brossart for the St. Joe's kids. Very few if any public school kids start in the Campbell Co. district and move onto NewCath. It is more the other way around. Kids leaving Catholic schools to go to CC. Alexandria is about the furthest reaches and we get less and less from there w/ Brossart taking students. The VAST MAJORITY of our players are Catholic, coming from smaller Catholic feeder schools. Additionally, most are second, third, or fourth generation.

Approximately, 4 miles to the west is Covington Catholic. We NEVER draw kids from there. We get kids that were expelled for one reason or another, but if kids in Kenton County have a choice, they are Colonels. About 2 miles from CC is Beechwood. Again, you don't grow up in Ft. Mitchell and go to NewCath.

This isn't a school that has the leverage to go out and pick and choose athletes. There are bigger fish in our pond.
30 going on 40 Wrote:Mr. Singleton needs a geography lesson. Newport Central Catholic is located approximately 2 miles from Highlands. Highlands is the public school for the largest city in Campbell County. They also are the most successful program in NKY. So...do students go to NewCath and pay tuition or go to Highlands for free and play in a much better atmosphere every Friday??? To the north is Newport High School. That would make sense for Catholic students in Newport to go to the Catholic school bearing the city's name. To the north east is Bellevue and Dayton. NewCath gets a few students from there. We'd get more, but we offer very little in tuition breaks and many can't afford it. To the west is Wilder, split b/n Brossart, NewCath, and Highlands. Also to the west is Southgate, split b/n Newport, NewCath, and Highlands. To the south is Highland Heights and Cold Spring. NewCath gets a split w/ Brossart for the St. Joe's kids. Very few if any public school kids start in the Campbell Co. district and move onto NewCath. It is more the other way around. Kids leaving Catholic schools to go to CC. Alexandria is about the furthest reaches and we get less and less from there w/ Brossart taking students. The VAST MAJORITY of our players are Catholic, coming from smaller Catholic feeder schools. Additionally, most are second, third, or fourth generation.

Approximately, 4 miles to the west is Covington Catholic. We NEVER draw kids from there. We get kids that were expelled for one reason or another, but if kids in Kenton County have a choice, they are Colonels. About 2 miles from CC is Beechwood. Again, you don't grow up in Ft. Mitchell and go to NewCath.

This isn't a school that has the leverage to go out and pick and choose athletes. There are bigger fish in our pond.

In 2012 Somerset had a population of 11,320. That is in the city limits where only the kids of age can attend Somerset for free. While the county may have a larger population kids have to pay tuition of a dollar or two a day to attend Somerset after being on the waiting list. What the author was meaning is that Somerset can ONLY draw from kids that live in the city limits or a very few who pay to come from the county. If you wanna go to somerset and can't make the list you would have to move into the city limits. (I don't know what the maximum number of county residents that can attend Somerset). Geographically, Somerset can ONLY draw out of the City limits. The only thing the author was getting at there is the fact that you are a private school and with a population of 40,713 in the city, not only can you draw from this number but from any county or area around you. Therefor NCC is not "geographically" limited do to their private school status.

A little geography lesson for you as well.
Buffalo Bildos Wrote:In 2012 Somerset had a population of 11,320. That is in the city limits where only the kids of age can attend Somerset for free. While the county may have a larger population kids have to pay tuition of a dollar or two a day to attend Somerset after being on the waiting list. What the author was meaning is that Somerset can ONLY draw from kids that live in the city limits or a very few who pay to come from the county. If you wanna go to somerset and can't make the list you would have to move into the city limits. (I don't know what the maximum number of county residents that can attend Somerset). Geographically, Somerset can ONLY draw out of the City limits. The only thing the author was getting at there is the fact that you are a private school and with a population of 40,713 in the city, not only can you draw from this number but from any county or area around you. Therefor NCC is not "geographically" limited do to their private school status.

HERE, HERE!!! Well explained... We're not complaining just explaining the difference!
Buffalo Bildos Wrote:In 2012 Somerset had a population of 11,320. That is in the city limits where only the kids of age can attend Somerset for free. While the county may have a larger population kids have to pay tuition of a dollar or two a day to attend Somerset after being on the waiting list. What the author was meaning is that Somerset can ONLY draw from kids that live in the city limits or a very few who pay to come from the county. If you wanna go to somerset and can't make the list you would have to move into the city limits. (I don't know what the maximum number of county residents that can attend Somerset). Geographically, Somerset can ONLY draw out of the City limits. The only thing the author was getting at there is the fact that you are a private school and with a population of 40,713 in the city, not only can you draw from this number but from any county or area around you. Therefor NCC is not "geographically" limited do to their private school status.

Seriously? How many schools are there in Pulaski Co? NewCath has six other schools in Campbell Co. alone. Not to mention the amount of football playing schools in Kenton and Boone. His mesage was not that NewCath CAN draw, he is inferring that NewCath DOES draw from everywhere. I'm telling you that they do not b/c there are better programs up here. Sometimes people forget how many options there are up here. Outside of the Boone schools, every other one is Independent.

To attend Somerset schools, each out-of-district student pays $555 per year (or $3 per day), and a strict cap of 250 county-resident students is maintained (grades K-12) per year (hence, the waiting list).

FWIW, other than the "big two" parochials in Jefferson County (T and X), and maybe LexCath, I really think the smaller privates like NewCath, DeSales, OCath, Brossart, the Holy Crosses, etc.) face just as many challenges to maintaining successful football programs as small-town independents like Somerset, Corbin, Glasgow, Hazard Danville and Middlesboro do. The types of challenges might differ some, but their degrees of difficulty seem pretty equivalent.

I've watched and admired the NewCath teams for 30 years now and have nothing but respect for them. They play football the way it's supposed to be played, and their multiple state titles absolutely confirm the program's "excellence," not "advantage." As a Somerset fan I wouldn't want it any other way.

Great challenges are great opportunities. Go Jumpers!
30 going on 40 Wrote:Seriously? How many schools are there in Pulaski Co? NewCath has six other schools in Campbell Co. alone. Not to mention the amount of football playing schools in Kenton and Boone. His mesage was not that NewCath CAN draw, he is inferring that NewCath DOES draw from everywhere. I'm telling you that they do not b/c there are better programs up here. Sometimes people forget how many options there are up here. Outside of the Boone schools, every other one is Independent.

4 high schools.
strawberryshakeman Wrote:Thanks for shedding the light on the situation. Would you agree this way of thinking is embedded in the Somerset coaching staff? Is Singleton getting his article information from his son?

No and no. The staff at Somerset has always just focused on who they are playing Friday night--not what type of school it is. Their big thing is play this 48 minutes to earn another 48 minutes and go as far as you can. The public/private stuff is just from the fans--the coaches and players are just trying to win a game.

So I'm done talking about that. Let's talk about the game. How do any of you that has watched film see these teams matching up? What is the key to the game this time?
^thank you
Walt Longmire Wrote:No and no. The staff at Somerset has always just focused on who they are playing Friday night--not what type of school it is. Their big thing is play this 48 minutes to earn another 48 minutes and go as far as you can. The public/private stuff is just from the fans--the coaches and players are just trying to win a game.

So I'm done talking about that. Let's talk about the game. How do any of you that has watched film see these teams matching up? What is the key to the game this time?

I think this game will be won in the trenches. All of NCC's games they've lost they got destroyed on the line. If Somersets line plays like they did the first time against Mboro this could be a long night for NCC
I don't have a problem with the privates. Sure, SOME may have an advantage, but is that advantage any different than coal money financing the facility upgrades at some EKY schools? IMO, it is not. We all play with the cards we are dealt, and you'll never see me complaining about my hand.
NCC is a good football team. QB does a good job. #5 is a very good football player on both sides of the ball, better know where he is at all times. Line not real big but block well, I think our Def. will give them problems. #20 is a good football player all over the place. I don't feel that they are as good as last year, Some will say Somerset is not as good as last year. I think it will be a Great High School Football Game. Who ever makes the least mistakes and makes the plays they have to make will win this game. Could come down to who has ball last.
30 going on 40 Wrote:Mr. Singleton needs a geography lesson. Newport Central Catholic is located approximately 2 miles from Highlands. Highlands is the public school for the largest city in Campbell County. They also are the most successful program in NKY. So...do students go to NewCath and pay tuition or go to Highlands for free and play in a much better atmosphere every Friday??? To the north is Newport High School. That would make sense for Catholic students in Newport to go to the Catholic school bearing the city's name. To the north east is Bellevue and Dayton. NewCath gets a few students from there. We'd get more, but we offer very little in tuition breaks and many can't afford it. To the west is Wilder, split b/n Brossart, NewCath, and Highlands. Also to the west is Southgate, split b/n Newport, NewCath, and Highlands. To the south is Highland Heights and Cold Spring. NewCath gets a split w/ Brossart for the St. Joe's kids. Very few if any public school kids start in the Campbell Co. district and move onto NewCath. It is more the other way around. Kids leaving Catholic schools to go to CC. Alexandria is about the furthest reaches and we get less and less from there w/ Brossart taking students. The VAST MAJORITY of our players are Catholic, coming from smaller Catholic feeder schools. Additionally, most are second, third, or fourth generation.

I was talking to a CovCath dad at the game on Friday. His son is a freshman at CovCath. They live in Cold Springs. According to him, a good portion of his son's class at St. Joe went to CovCath.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Cannon Still Roars.....
Cellking Wrote:NCC is a good football team. QB does a good job. #5 is a very good football player on both sides of the ball, better know where he is at all times. Line not real big but block well, I think our Def. will give them problems. #20 is a good football player all over the place. I don't feel that they are as good as last year, Some will say Somerset is not as good as last year. I think it will be a Great High School Football Game. Who ever makes the least mistakes and makes the plays they have to make will win this game. Could come down to who has ball last.

They aren't in terms of that they don't have as much margin for error. They have to play much closer to perfect.
I have been back and forth on this one. I originally was going to pick NCC, but after looking over everything and taking all the injuries during the year for Somerset into consideration, I think Somerset can pull this one out. They are healthier than they have been all year. They have had a brutal playoff run. I just simply think everything is coming together for them at the right time. These boys just dont quit.

Somerset 28
NCC 20
The Prestonsburg fans have been absolutely top notch... We appreciate your support and even though we are just on the edge, we are and still can bring home another win for the mountains...