Poll: Somerset or NCC
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
NCC
50.00%
Somerset
50.00%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Somerset @ Newport Central Catholic 11/29 class 2A Semifinals
5th straight for Somerset in the semis
I don't believe that kid (Doan)is their number one running back that has been out since Danville. The Lange kid #22 a senior is the number one running back but has been hurt all year until playoffs. He beat us last year with a kick return and than beat us this year with a great catch near end of regulation and than the overtime touchdown. I think he had a good game last night against pburg also. He is a difference maker for Somerset .
^^Correct. Lange had both tying and winning touchdowns last night against Pburg. Played 1 game in regular season against Glasgow and was reinjured. I'm thinking Somerset is glad to have him finally back!!
Lang was projected as #1 running back, has been hurt, Doan carried most of the load while he was healthy. Lang back for play-offs and has played Great. Hope Doan will get back next week then we will be rolling an all 4's.
Mark me down for Somerset, great program, great fans.
Ncc
Somerset are straight up fighters, I can't think of many teams who endured what they have to win region, brutal schedule, devasting injuries, winning on the road in hostile enviornments three straight weeks, they are mentally one of the toughest teams around, I respect NCC, not taking anything away from them, but the Jumpers are peaking at the right time and have the "it " factor, I think they win a tough one against a great NCC team 24-22..

TWO great teams equal ONE great game!!! Best wishes to both!!!
Always stick with the Northern Kentucky team- NewCath
Somerset is glad to have Lane back and Doan will not play. Doctors say they won't release him until 6 weeks post surgery and it has only been 4. I'm pretty sure his season is over.
Briar jumper bd Wrote:Somerset is glad to have Lane back and Doan will not play. Doctors say they won't release him until 6 weeks post surgery and it has only been 4. I'm pretty sure his season is over.

Tough break for him and the team, he really stepped up in a big way this season...not worth taking a chance on his future to play him no matter how much he may want to. Take care of him and get him healthy for the rest of his career.
Deja vu!
This Williamsburg fan picks Somerset 21 to 14
If I'm not mistaken, when Somerset played holy cross two years ago wasn't that on NCC's field? If Somerset won this game it would do a few things,
1) beat a NKY school
2) revenge on NCC for last year
3) win on NCC's field from two years ago.

the 3rd one is more of a personal desire for me.....

...i mean them....Confusednicker:
NCC 24 Somerset 20....I hope im wrong
Depends on which NewCath team comes out to play. Sounds about the same for the Briars. Hoping for a good Breds team and a bad Briars team gets on the road.
Buffalo Bildos Wrote:If I'm not mistaken, when Somerset played holy cross two years ago wasn't that on NCC's field? If Somerset won this game it would do a few things,
1) beat a NKY school
2) revenge on NCC for last year
3) win on NCC's field from two years ago.

the 3rd one is more of a personal desire for me.....

...i mean them....Confusednicker:

Newport Catholic doesn't have a field. Neither does Holy Cross. That was Newport High School's field. I think sometimes they play games on Holmes' field as well (at least Holy Cross does) but you'll have to get NKY91or Shakeman to verify for sure.
You are correct. NCC uses Newport High as their home field. Holy Cross plays at Holmes for some of their games, but I'm not sure if they utilize another facility. Holy Cross does have a field with limited seating and no lights but I've never been to a varsity game there. I think they use it for practice, freshman and jv. The only parochial school who has a facility on campus is Cov Cath.
KHSAA says it is at Newport
Would love to see the jumpers pull off the upset as they have had a great run in these playoffs. However I don't see them getting it done. Too much talent from ncc. But don't ever can't out the jumpers
No Heart, No Chance Wrote:Would love to see the jumpers pull off the upset as they have had a great run in these playoffs. However I don't see them getting it done. Too much talent from ncc. But don't ever can't out the jumpers

I know NCC has a Great Program and until someone beats them they are king. Just like Lou. Central was in 3A, little old school named Wayne Co. put a stop to that:Thumbs:. Somerset may just pull off the Upset, I know this bunch have won 4 Regional Championships and won a whole lot of games in their 4 years in High School. So Men work hard this week and prepare to do battle with the King. Beat NCC!!!!:Cheerlead:Cheerlead:Cheerlead
For those who cannot attend in person, this game is scheduled for video broadcast on ihigh.com at the following link: http://www.ihigh.com/nkysports/broadcast...verlight=1
As of this morning this was the only KY playoff game posted.

Good luck to both teams. I'll predict a Somerset win 35-28. But if the game time temp. is in the 30's, I'll reduce the score to a Somerset win 28-21.
I think that Lang has returned at just the right time.. IF SHS can/will throw the football, and the combination of Evidston no longer calling the plays for NCC.. This could be the year Somerset get's over the hump. However SHS HAS to find a way to get the ball in the hands of their playmakers.. #83, #22
Agree Footballguy24 we are going to have to be able to throw for completions. Continue doing what you are doing defense!!
I'll take Somerset 35-21
Obviously Somerset is having another good year to get to the semi's and people have spoken about "getting over the hump". I know there has been a lot of talk about this senior class and their accomplishments. What kind of team will they have next year and will they be able to keep this level of success after this class graduates?
There is something about this Somerset team which leads me to believe this will be the year they get back to Bowling Green, and bring home the gold. They have talent, senior leadership, and most importantly, they know how to win close games. Also, they are finally getting healthy, which they have not been all year. Somerset defeats NCC by a score of 28-21. Good Luck this Friday to the Briar Jumpers!!!!!!!
Best of luck to the bunnies!
I see that Somerset's (or Pulaski County) local paper has already built in the excuse that Somerset is playing a private school, and how unfair it is. Hilarious. Same arguments, same conspiracy theorists, different year.
We won't need that excuse this year!!! This Team Belives and they are Battle tested and ready for NCC!! I'll take the Jumpers 24-13 Lets end this curse Jumpers!!!
30 going on 40 Wrote:I see that Somerset's (or Pulaski County) local paper has already built in the excuse that Somerset is playing a private school, and how unfair it is. Hilarious. Same arguments, same conspiracy theorists, different year.

Fall back excuse if (when) they lose. NewCath wins this one. They too have had many injuries throughout this season. But all are back and ready for Action. The senior leadership on this team is one of great inspiration. They are true leaders, on and off the field. Some on here talk about how other teams have had to fight to get to the playoffs, well NewCath had fought hard also to get to where they are now. People have counted NCC out because they stated the season 1-4, which were against 4,5, and 6A schools. When public schools lose against private schools, there are always those who complain and use the excuse that they lost because they played a private school, instead of admitting they got beat by a better team.

For the record, I wouldn't count coach Wagner out, just because Eddie Eviston isn't the one calling the plays, doesn't mean anything. The coaches NCC have now are the same coaches they had the past 3 years, only difference is who is at the helm. Coach Eviston didn't win those 2 state championships, the players did, with the backing of all the coaches that are still there except Eviston.