Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the Jewell show over in Corbin?
OCB89 Wrote:Did Waddle play or was he done for the season ??????

I don't think he touched the ball the first three quarters but I'm not sure. Late in the fourth they started giving it to him. This is confusing because if he was still hurt why give it to him when the game is pretty much over with. He played defense the whole game but still looked like he was favoring his ankle. It wouldn't had mattered much though. Wayne whipped us in every aspect of the game.

E's Army Wrote:Corbin is not going to fire Jewell for having 80 kids out, being an excellent Biology teacher, and going 9-3 including 2 losses against an excellent Wayne County team. Corbin should be very good next year with a senior laden team.

You're right, Coach Jewell would have to decide to step down before there is a head coaching change at this time. He obviously knows the game very well, but what I keep hearing is that he needs to relate better with the kids and to be more positive with them.
Check out my avatar another thing to blame on Jewell!!!
"A lot of talk in Corbin about Dudley coming to Corbin next year. Several rumors about him taking head job with Greer running to defense and Duncum running the offense."

Three things that would likely have to happen before this would occur:

1. Jewell would have to be fired because I can't believe that he would voluntarily
turn over the reigns to Hilton.
2. Greer would have resign as a Principal.
3. Coach Hilton would have to willing to accept less money than he could get elsewhere.

I don't see this as a likely scenario.
#3 in that scenario would not happen.
I think most of the fans think it's time to update that offense, I would go after the best young coach in the mountains Justin Haddox of Perry Central you give him the talent Corbin has and keep them interested, along with 65 kids on the roster and Corbin would be back in a hurry. I don't think Jewell is going nowhere unless he decides himself to step down, but the pressure is mounting all those middle school championships and can' t finish even runner up in the district,and then all eyes on his youngest son and how much playing time daddy is going to be giving him, then looking at about 1/2 of Williamsburg team are Corbin boysConfusedhh: If WHitley makes the right hire,and Williamsburg continues to be successful you could see a lot of these kids setting on their helmets in practice heading south
Nothing to indicate Jewell is being fired or resigning. This is a non story.
If he wasn't fired last year what makes you think it will happen this year?
Jewell is not going anywhere, neither is Farris. If you have a yougin real serious about football you better look elsewhere I guess?
There is one good thing that I notice after reading this thread. Corbin fans get on the coach pretty hard but they dont talk negatively about any of the kids and thats the way it should be. A coach knows when he takes a head coaching job that he is opening himself up to criticism by the fans. So go ahead and blast the coaches (in the right way) and leave the kids out of it. I was reading the thread about the Somerset/NCC game and it got completely out of hand. Im glad the administrators had the good judgement to close it down. People need to remember that the kids read this stuff also! Congratulations to Corbin on a good season. Regardless what anyone says, if you are looking to pad your schedule, you sure dont schedule Corbin. They are capable of beating anyone on a given night. Not many people can say that about their team!
Quickkickonthird Wrote:There is one good thing that I notice after reading this thread. Corbin fans get on the coach pretty hard but they dont talk negatively about any of the kids and thats the way it should be. A coach knows when he takes a head coaching job that he is opening himself up to criticism by the fans. So go ahead and blast the coaches (in the right way) and leave the kids out of it. I was reading the thread about the Somerset/NCC game and it got completely out of hand. Im glad the administrators had the good judgement to close it down. People need to remember that the kids read this stuff also! Congratulations to Corbin on a good season. Regardless what anyone says, if you are looking to pad your schedule, you sure dont schedule Corbin. They are capable of beating anyone on a given night. Not many people can say that about their team!

Well said!
SEKYFAN Wrote:"A lot of talk in Corbin about Dudley coming to Corbin next year. Several rumors about him taking head job with Greer running to defense and Duncum running the offense."

Three things that would likely have to happen before this would occur:

1. Jewell would have to be fired because I can't believe that he would voluntarily
turn over the reigns to Hilton.
2. Greer would have resign as a Principal.
3. Coach Hilton would have to willing to accept less money than he could get elsewhere.

I don't see this as a likely scenario.
I'm still hearing a lot about this. Something is brewing. Big Red...what are you hearing.
Go Big Red! Wrote:The pride and tradition go way way way back. It all started in 1916 the Corbin railroaders went to play their first game in pineville we lost 142-0 and William Cadle a Corbin player actually passed away due to injuries he substained in the game. Our first win was two weeks later against barbourville baptist institution. In 1929 Nick Denes came to town that's what started Corbin's tradition. Then along came the selvey's, birds, Roy Kidd,and about 30 other all Americans over the next 30 years!!! Which led to 1939 undefeated, 1955 state champs, 1960 undefeated, 1962 state runner up, 1976 state champs, 1980 state Champs, 1982 state champs, 1990 runner up, 2002 runner up. Usually about 15 years from one state championship to the next in the down years. It's been 31 years since we put any paint on the wall and as long as the Jewell show is in town it will be another 31 years. We want to be respected again in the great state of Ky!! Teams don't fear Corbin the way they did before. If we were not winning titles we were still a tuff out and you could guarantee they wouldn't lay down for nothing!!!! Santa please bring us a new coach so we can start a new dynasty!!!

Is there any records you can give me mine are incomplete;
Corbin
1975 8-2
1976 11-1
1977 10-3
1978 9-1
1979 11-1
1980?
1981?
1982?
1983 8-1
1984 8-2
1985 11-1
1986 10-3
1987 6-4
1988 10-2
1989 9-3
This thread is nothing but lies, Jewell will be back at Corbin and should be. Talked with Greer at basketball game and said that he has not said one thing about Dudley coming to Corbin or mills. Greer said that there is a bunch of gutless individuals on this site that spread rumors. Corbin got beat out by state runner up, pretty good year.
redstorm Wrote:This thread is nothing but lies, Jewell will be back at Corbin and should be. Talked with Greer at basketball game and said that he has not said one thing about Dudley coming to Corbin or mills. Greer said that there is a bunch of gutless individuals on this site that spread rumors. Corbin got beat out by state runner up, pretty good year.

Amen!
I too think Jewell will be back and when it comes to overall record and pure coaching ability, I think that he should be back. While growing, Corbin is still a smaller school so talent does come in waves even though there are many more up years than down.

When it comes to X and O's, I would argue that you could only find a handful of staffs better than what Corbin has. That being said, a lot of the losses, at least appear are due to the coaches outsmarting themselves.

The biggest issue doesn't seem to be results, but instead seems to be personal relationships. I'm not in the locker room so I don't know what goes on but after so much talk, you have to think there has to be some fire where the smoke comes from. I certainly do not think Jewell and staff verbally abuse the kids but there has been talk of unfair amount of blame being put on the kids for losses. The blame should go from the kids to the staff. Nobody is perfect.

Coach Jewell is a good man. However, while he is fine in a one on one setting, he's not a big personality. It towns like Corbin where football is so big, you are a public figure and almost the face of the town. I think that where Steve is more of an introvert, that causes a lot of the chatter about him not being the man for the job. You can't let inmates run the asylum but you also need to be more of a figure head in the community. It's kind of like how Gillispie to Calipari in Kentucky. Gillispie would stay out of the lime light and wouldn't connect, where Cal is always out and about shaking hands and kissing babies.
HAROLD Wrote:I too think Jewell will be back and when it comes to overall record and pure coaching ability, I think that he should be back. While growing, Corbin is still a smaller school so talent does come in waves even though there are many more up years than down.

When it comes to X and O's, I would argue that you could only find a handful of staffs better than what Corbin has. That being said, a lot of the losses, at least appear are due to the coaches outsmarting themselves.

The biggest issue doesn't seem to be results, but instead seems to be personal relationships. I'm not in the locker room so I don't know what goes on but after so much talk, you have to think there has to be some fire where the smoke comes from. I certainly do not think Jewell and staff verbally abuse the kids but there has been talk of unfair amount of blame being put on the kids for losses. The blame should go from the kids to the staff. Nobody is perfect.

Coach Jewell is a good man. However, while he is fine in a one on one setting, he's not a big personality. It towns like Corbin where football is so big, you are a public figure and almost the face of the town. I think that where Steve is more of an introvert, that causes a lot of the chatter about him not being the man for the job. You can't let inmates run the asylum but you also need to be more of a figure head in the community. It's kind of like how Gillispie to Calipari in Kentucky. Gillispie would stay out of the lime light and wouldn't connect, where Cal is always out and about shaking hands and kissing babies.

I think that you are spot on for the most part.

A lot of Corbin fans got a little bit of an inflated view of the team due to their easy wins over Danville and Perry Central, two decent teams, but hardly title contenders. Then you throw in teams that frankly were not very good in Trimble, South Laurel, McCreary, Casey Co., plus the close loss to a very good Wayne Co. team and people thought they were a state title contender, which they were not.

If Corbin is going to get to the next level, I would think they need to improve in some of these areas, now whether they have the players on the roster to do this, I don't really know.

1.They need to get a little stronger on the offensive line, heck this year they started 2 sophomores on the line who had been RB's before the season started.
2. I would think that utilizing a big fullback might help as well as this year's starting fullback at the end of the year, who by the way played well, only weighed about 160-165.
3. Using the QB as a duel threat would also open up a lot of options offensively.
4. Improve the passing game.
SEKYFAN Wrote:I think that you are spot on for the most part.

A lot of Corbin fans got a little bit of an inflated view of the team due to their easy wins over Danville and Perry Central, two decent teams, but hardly title contenders. Then you throw in teams that frankly were not very good in Trimble, South Laurel, McCreary, Casey Co., plus the close loss to a very good Wayne Co. team and people thought they were a state title contender, which they were not.

If Corbin is going to get to the next level, I would think they need to improve in some of these areas, now whether they have the players on the roster to do this, I don't really know.

1.They need to get a little stronger on the offensive line, heck this year they started 2 sophomores on the line who had been RB's before the season started.
2. I would think that utilizing a big fullback might help as well as this year's starting fullback at the end of the year, who by the way played well, only weighed about 160-165.
3. Using the QB as a duel threat would also open up a lot of options offensively.
4. Improve the passing game.

I agree about all of the above.

1. I think that will come with time. We can say what we want but Corbin has traditionally had some of the strongest lines around. If not, that goes back to my players comes in waves. I have no doubt that this staff will have the line playing grown man football next year.

2. I agree about the fullback play. Reckon why Powers hasn't been getting run there as much as in the past? I think he's a perfect compliment to the offense. Strong/broad kid, not a bad runner, and has good instincts.

3. I wouldn't get too crazy with trying to have a Jalen Whitlow/Johnny Football type QB but Taylor is athletic enough that he can make plays from that position. I wouldn't line him up in the gun and give him the option to run/pass each play but a few designed plays wouldn't hurt.

4. I wouldn't go as far as "opening it up" but I do agree that Corbin should at least add a few pass plays other than roll outs or screens. A few routes to loosen up the box for the running game wouldn't hurt. I also would like to see the hot pass to the TE come back. 65/35 is plenty good enough.

On top of that, I would like to see a few more non district passing teams added to the schedule. In the old days, the district slate and playoffs were against teams from Eastern KY, so you knew it was going to be a run team 90% of the time. Now that Corbin is back in the western semi-state, there are a few more balanced or high octane offenses to deal with. Corbin has constantly been burnt deep over the years. Finding a happy medium would do wonders.
HAROLD Wrote:I agree about all of the above.

1. I think that will come with time. We can say what we want but Corbin has traditionally had some of the strongest lines around. If not, that goes back to my players comes in waves. I have no doubt that this staff will have the line playing grown man football next year.

2. I agree about the fullback play. Reckon why Powers hasn't been getting run there as much as in the past? I think he's a perfect compliment to the offense. Strong/broad kid, not a bad runner, and has good instincts.

3. I wouldn't get too crazy with trying to have a Jalen Whitlow/Johnny Football type QB but Taylor is athletic enough that he can make plays from that position. I wouldn't line him up in the gun and give him the option to run/pass each play but a few designed plays wouldn't hurt.

4. I wouldn't go as far as "opening it up" but I do agree that Corbin should at least add a few pass plays other than roll outs or screens. A few routes to loosen up the box for the running game wouldn't hurt. I also would like to see the hot pass to the TE come back. 65/35 is plenty good enough.

On top of that, I would like to see a few more non district passing teams added to the schedule. In the old days, the district slate and playoffs were against teams from Eastern KY, so you knew it was going to be a run team 90% of the time. Now that Corbin is back in the western semi-state, there are a few more balanced or high octane offenses to deal with. Corbin has constantly been burnt deep over the years. Finding a happy medium would do wonders.

Corbin does not need games such as Trimble Co., they already have McCreary and Casey Co. on the district schedule, add in the fact that South Laurel has been really bad and they just were not challenged enough to get ready for good teams. Like you said, play a good team with a good passing attack to work on something you may face in the playoffs.
redstorm Wrote:This thread is nothing but lies, Jewell will be back at Corbin and should be. Talked with Greer at basketball game and said that he has not said one thing about Dudley coming to Corbin or mills. Greer said that there is a bunch of gutless individuals on this site that spread rumors. Corbin got beat out by state runner up, pretty good year.

The same Greer that shifts around like a earthquake?

For anyone to call somebody gutless, its funny when you make a commitment to one school, leave for another, go back to that school, leave again, and then head back to that same school.

However im going out on a limb and going to guess that your "talk" was fairy tale of your imagination.
What are you saying, the pot is calling the kettle. I agree 100%.
Dudley is going to Whitley!! Corbin is not firing Jewell he will have to resign and that's not happening. It would have to be a mutual decision. Feel free to talk to any of the kids in the program now or from the past couple years. I'm willing to bet you can't find more then 3-4 (not related) who respect and have any relationship with Jewell!! I played football many years ago and I can still talk to any of my old coaches if I needed too!! IMO that's a big part of being a highschool coach to influence your players and make boys into men.