Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Male 23 - St X 21 Final
X tried the come back 21 unanswered points in the 2nd half but Male drove down at the end to score with 29 seconds left.
X couldn't complete the hail mary and thats the game.
Congrats to Male.
Sounds like a great finish.
Boom.
BIG BOOM...congrats to Male!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
In a game filled with drama -- a state record, a recovered onside kick and a fourth-quarter comeback -- Jonah White provided the storybook ending.

The 5-foot-7 junior booted a 21-yard field goal with 25 seconds left to give the Male High School football team a 23-21 victory over visiting St. Xavier on Friday in a second-round Class 6-A playoff game.

White's field goal came after Male blew a 20-0 lead in the fourth quarter.

"It was a really intense moment," he said. "I missed earlier, and I knew I had to drown that out and ignore it and go back in there and make that one. I was full of nerves."

Male (11-1), No. 4 in The Courier-Journal's Litkenhous Ratings, beat No. 10 St. X (7-5) for the second time this season and will host No. 6 Trinity (8-5) at 7:30 p.m. Friday in a 6-A regional final. The Bulldogs beat Trinity 24-14 on Oct. 18.

Male won Friday behind a methodical passing game as junior quarterback Davis Mattingly repeatedly dumped short throws to his receivers and running backs, finishing 46 of 64 for 409 yards and two touchdowns.

Senior Marque Northington set a single-game state record with 26 receptions, for 191 yards and a touchdown. The previous record was 19, shared by Lewis County's J.T. Britt (2007) and Franklin-Simpson's Patrick West (2002).

"I had a feeling I was going to get the ball a lot because they left me wide-open in the flats," Northington said. "The screens are our bread-and-butter in the offense."

Said Mattingly: "We knew he'd be able to beat his man outside, so it was pretty expected. I didn't expect that many, but it's always great to have a player with a state record on your team."

St. X quarterback B.J. Nagle completed 23 of 38 passes for 283 yards and three touchdowns with two interceptions. Tigers coach Will Wolford declined to comment after the game.

Male controlled the first three quarters and took a 20-0 lead on Mattingly's 2-yard touchdown pass to Ethan Britt with 10:01 left in the fourth.

But St. X rallied behind Nagle. His 3-yard TD pass to Charles Walker made it 20-7 with 8:42 left, and the Tigers recovered the ensuing onside kick. Nagle then hit Luke Hayden with a 9-yard touchdown pass to cut it to 20-14 at the 6:45 mark.

Male punted on its next possession, and the Tigers needed just six plays to take the lead. Nagle hit a streaking Will Roshkowski down the left sideline for a 51-yard score, and Jake Collins kicked the extra point to give St. X a 21-20 edge with 3:55 left.

Northington said he wasn't nervous about Male giving up the lead.

"We have a lot of fight this year," he said. "We weren't going to let down. We kept our heads up, and we pushed it through."

Mattingly calmly engineered a 17-play drive for the winning points. Ellis Cain had a big 7-yard run on fourth-and-1 that moved the Bulldogs to the St. X 12, and his 4-yard run set up fourth-and-2 at the 4.

Coach Chris Wolfe had declined to attempt a tying field goal in the final seconds of a 32-29 loss to Manual on Oct. 25, but this time he made sure White would be able to kick from the middle of the field.

"We lost the Manual game, but I learned a little something as far as game management," Wolfe said. "You want to make it as easy as possible for your field-goal kicker."

The Tigers nearly made the most of their final gasp as Nagle connected with Hayden on the final play of the game. Hayden momentarily broke loose down the left sideline but was tackled at the 15 for a 35-yard gain as time ran out.

"It was just an amazing game," Wolfe said. "Up 20-0, you don't expect it to come down like that, but it did. I'm just glad we had one more drive in us."

ST. XAVIER 0 0 0 21 - 21

MALE 0 6 7 10 - 23

M - Caleb Bayse 43 FG; M - Jonah White 21 FG; M - Marque Northington 25 pass from Davis Mattingly (White kick); M - Ethan Britt 2 pass from Mattingly (White kick); SX - Charles Walker 3 pass from B.J. Nagle (Jake Collins kick); SX - Luke Hayden 9 pass from Nagle (Collins kick); SX - Will Roshkowski 51 pass from Nagle (Collins kick); M - White 21 FG.

SX M

Total yards 370 510

First downs 20 33

Rushes-yards 21-87 23-101

Passing yards 283 409

Comp-Att-Int 23-38-2 46-64-1

Punts-avg 5-40.4 3-37

Fumbles-lost 2-1 1-1

Penalties-yds 8-98 10-85

http://lms.usatodayhss.com/louisville/ar...vier-23-21
Sweet, NO X