Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meece Middle Disqualified From KYMSFA Playoffs
Trucker Wrote:A couple seasons back Johnson Co. had two kids that lead their 7th grade team to the finals coming up short vs. Northern Pulaski. Two of their players were not on the 8th grade roster the following season, I think one moved to West Virginia and the other as far as I know hasn't played since. If there is a rule stating you cant be over 15 before the season begins, as a 8th grader, what is the rule concerning 7th graders?
Both looked very mature, one having a full beard and was probably 6'0 230 and a RB.
I can promise you that I have never played a player who was to old to play. The RB that year is a sophomore at South Charleston and is a very good player. The FB, who was actually about 5'8" 160 lbs is a DT at Johnson Central and is a sophomore.
And yes the other kid was on our 8th grade roster and played FB and DT
Trucker Wrote:A couple seasons back Johnson Co. had two kids that lead their 7th grade team to the finals coming up short vs. Northern Pulaski. Two of their players were not on the 8th grade roster the following season, I think one moved to West Virginia and the other as far as I know hasn't played since. If there is a rule stating you cant be over 15 before the season begins, as a 8th grader, what is the rule concerning 7th graders?
Both looked very mature, one having a full beard and was probably 6'0 230 and a RB.

If I was given a quarter for every legitimate middle school kid that I'd seen who had a beard, I'd be a rich man. Just because they have facial hair, doesn't mean that they're too old. Some hit puberty earlier than others. I've seen 6th graders 6'-3" & 250 that can move and I've seen 8th graders 5' & 95 lbs soaking wet. It's just how it is.
I actually am not associated with the KYMSFA, other then coaching at a member school. I do (as every coach/parent should) read the rules that are set out and voted on by the association.

All member teams are to abide by the same rules ALL season. There is no separate rules for regular season or post season.

I was simple stating the ages the players are allowed to be and when they can be a certain age. This age limit (dates by August 1st of the season year) is the same rule that the KHSAA has. Hence why you can't turn 19 before August 1st of your senior year.
Wasn't accusing you of anything, just said they looked mature. They were both exceptional players, just thought as much as they stood out at 7th graders they would also standout as 8th graders.
What are you trying to say here?
JCMS didn't have a 6'3 running back that year, he was Alex Spencer who start as a Freshman now at Paintsville HS, was their running back, he is now just 15, and starts at center at 5-5 and maybe 150 pounds.
This goes back to elementary school. If a kid was found to be too old now, just common sense makes anyone think back and think how many years did this kid, and teams these kids play on, enjoy a competitive advantage. Sure little league is not that serious, but all of us that coach or have kids actually know it is pretty heated and can be serious in little league. I think it's time to address schools in all sports that have nearly an entire team of kids more than a year older than normal, even the kids that are "legal". Little league would do better with age leagues instead of grade level, IMO.