Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coaching and Sportsmanship
Ok so if you were the opposing coach or player of a team that the coach had his players do the following in a game because they were that dominant:

1. Have a back up running back run 30 yrds. in the wrong direction, take a knee just so the kicker could try for the state record.
2. Have his players continue to jump off sides so that they could back themselves up for the purpose of kicking a state record.
3. Call time a time out when you are up by 35 points just so you can argue with a referee about a call. That really had no bearing on the game at all.
4. Call time out with 2.1 seconds to go in the half, then go back out and take a knee after lining up like you are going to try for another score. Again being up by 32 points at that time.
5. Put your first team back in the game with less than a minute in the game so you can score another touchdown. Again they were up by 40 points at this time.

Now tell me is this good sportsmanship, or a coach teaching his kids how to really rub it in on a team that isn't near their caliber.

On the radio when asked, said HE was just trying to keep the scoring average
up.

Think if this was done to your team how your kids and coaches would feel.
You really have a personal vendetta against Matney don't you?

Two threads in one week? Obviously the first one didn't go as you planned... hopefully you find what you are looking for with this one.
#3 and #4 are completely irrelevant, to you or anyone else and makes your argument look personal by including them.
Obviously a Rowan fan with hurt feelings!
Keepnitreal Wrote:Obviously a Rowan fan with hurt feelings!

Back, Oh about 4 years ago, the folks up at Rowan had an opportunity to vote as part of the KHSAA Board, on having JC in 4A or 5A, where their enrollment should have placed them. They said that they had an up and coming football program and thought with the talent coming up they could compete with JC for the District and wanted that opportunity.

Well they are reaping the rewards of their decision!

No the 30 yrd. run around happened in the Boyd Co. game. And if memory serves me correctly when you refer to "they" you are referring to the superintendent that serves on the board of directors within KHSAA. Don't ever remember those comments being made. With that being said please answer my question HONESTLY about being on the other side. If this behavior is because your school didn't get to move out of 4A to 5A so that you wouldn't have to play Highlands and the likes. Is that a good reason to conduct your team in such a manner. Seriously and logically please think about it.
Here is some advice for you to relieve your hurt feelings. I don't like Matney either and it doesn't matter what either of us think. There are 2 people and only 2 people in this world who have any control over Matneys antics.

Superintendent : Steve Trimble (606) 789-2530
Principal : Noel Crum (606) 789-2500

Until those 2 gentlemen feel as you do you are out of luck. Matney is winning and bringing attention to Johnson Central.
Iam4thecats Wrote:Here is some advice for you to relieve your hurt feelings. I don't like Matney either and it doesn't matter what either of us think. There are 2 people and only 2 people in this world who have any control over Matneys antics.

Superintendent : Steve Trimble (606) 789-2530
Principal : Noel Crum (606) 789-2500

Until those 2 gentlemen feel as you do you are out of luck. Matney is winning and bringing attention to Johnson Central.

You are right on that. I have coached for over 20yrs. and if I had pulled some of this on the field with my kids, I would have been pulled in on the carpet the very next day and told "We do not do that kind of stuff around here". But you are right.
Its poor sportsmanship regardless of a personal vendetta or not. I've known coaches whom have told their players to intentionally hurt other players if the opposing coach does these type things. Which is even worse sportsmanship, just no one sees it.
The way i see it is poor sportsmanship if he put his starter back in to score another TD :Sad04: now the FG i understand :Cheerlead
64SUR Wrote:The way i see it is poor sportsmanship if he put his starter back in to score another TD :Sad04: now the FG i understand :Cheerlead

I can see the field goal try by calling a time out or something like that. But to have your running back run the wrong way 30 yrds. to me is kind of rubbing it in a bit.
fb fan Wrote:I can see the field goal try by calling a time out or something like that. But to have your running back run the wrong way 30 yrds. to me is kind of rubbing it in a bit.

Did he make the kick :igiveup:
Wow...... all I can say is wow!

You are sad fb_fan.... really really sad.
Can't remember if he did or not. It was against Boyd Co. Radio announcer was incensed when they attempted it. I do remember that.
Maybe QQ and Stardust can make a new "Tag" or "Level" for you, WideRight 05 and podunker......

"JC Haters"
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Wow...... all I can say is wow!

You are sad fb_fan.... really really sad.

Why do you say that? Just asking a question from my first post. Getting some honest responses for a change. Why don't you answer some of those statements in the first post on how you would feel as an opposing coach or player to have that done on your team. Seriously and honestly with logic.
1. Have a back up running back run 30 yrds. in the wrong direction, take a knee just so the kicker could try for the state record.
2. Have his players continue to jump off sides so that they could back themselves up for the purpose of kicking a state record.
3. Call time a time out when you are up by 35 points just so you can argue with a referee about a call. That really had no bearing on the game at all.
4. Call time out with 2.1 seconds to go in the half, then go back out and take a knee after lining up like you are going to try for another score. Again being up by 32 points at that time.
5. Put your first team back in the game with less than a minute in the game so you can score another touchdown. Again they were up by 40 points at this time.

Just in case you didn't want to scroll up.
fb fan Wrote:Why do you say that? Just asking a question from my first post. Getting some honest responses for a change. Why don't you answer some of those statements in the first post on how you would feel as an opposing coach or player to have that done on your team. Seriously and honestly with logic.

Again I ask.... why did you JC specifically?

Why aren't you asking Highlands why they had only 2 rushing yards against a team they beat 77-0?

Why aren't you asking Bowling Green why they beat a team 91-10?
fb fan Wrote:Why do you say that? Just asking a question from my first post. Getting some honest responses for a change. Why don't you answer some of those statements in the first post on how you would feel as an opposing coach or player to have that done on your team. Seriously and honestly with logic.

:dudecomeon: If Johnson central only won by 40pts must have play a hell of a game against them :HitWall: :HitWall: :HitWall:
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Again I ask.... why did you JC specifically?

Why aren't you asking Highlands why they had only 2 rushing yards against a team they beat 77-0?

Why aren't you asking Bowling Green why they beat a team 91-10?

Probably because they played their freshman and JV the entire second half for one. The rushing yards were a bit skewed. I believe that was over all positive yardage after losing yards. Also their main offense is passing, just as yours is running out of the bone. Freshman run what they have worked on in pract. And again the question was asked without naming a teams name, how would you react if those things happened to YOUR KIDS TEAM.
fb fan Wrote:You are right on that. I have coached for over 20yrs. and if I had pulled some of this on the field with my kids, I would have been pulled in on the carpet the very next day and told "We do not do that kind of stuff around here". But you are right.

In your 20 years if you would of been half as successful as Matney, I think they would of given you a pat on the back and not pulled any carpet anywhere near you.
Its about winning with class.
fb fan Wrote:Its about winning with class.

Class....... JC "could" have beat the first 8 teams they've played this season by 65+ points. And "could" have pitched 8 shutouts if the starting defense played the entire game.

Don't give me this "JC is classless" and "Matney is classless" talk buddy. Because it's simply not true.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Class....... JC "could" have beat the first 8 teams they've played this season by 65+ points. And "could" have pitched 8 shutouts if the starting defense played the entire game.

Don't give me this "JC is classless" and "Matney is classless" talk buddy. Because it's simply not true.

Ok, I can see where a great deal of "class" was shown in just the few things I mentioned above. You should ask some other coaches around the area how they feel as well. You might be surprised on how some other teams feel as well. Coaches talk ya know. And we see when someone is showing true restraint and when someone isn't.
If I remember correctly.... didn't a team you coached beat JC a few seasons back?
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Class....... JC "could" have beat the first 8 teams they've played this season by 65+ points. And "could" have pitched 8 shutouts if the starting defense played the entire game.

Again I appreciate your allegiance to your team and coach. But would you like to address any of the points of interest that were brought up?
fb fan Wrote:Again I appreciate your allegiance to your team and coach. But would you like to address any of the points of interest that were brought up?

I'm not on JC's coaching staff. So any answer I give wouldn't be accurate.

With that being said, I will not assume or speculate on any of the questions you're just dying to know about.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:I'm not on JC's coaching staff. So any answer I give wouldn't be accurate.

With that being said, I will not assume or speculate on any of the questions you're just dying to know about.

That answer I can appreciate. Can't argue with that at all.
Can you tell me how you would react if you were the opposing coach, if those things mentioned above happened to your team. Regardless who or what team we are talking about. Forget that part.
If I were FB Fan I would Pray that my name was never revealed. But he should remember they are ways to find out who you are. A good computer hacker can get you and will!!!!
eagle 777 Wrote:If I were FB Fan I would Pray that my name was never revealed. But he should remember they are ways to find out who you are. A good computer hacker can get you and will!!!!

LOL.....So what you gonna do to me for making opinions that are not necessarily yours. You gonna try to beat me up? You gonna send me to Iraq or Afghanistan or Syria for exercising my right to free speech and opinions. LOL..........:biglmao: