Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds hire new manager!!
CINCINNATI -- Multiple media reports surfaced on Monday evening that the Reds will name Bryan Price their new manager on Tuesday during a news conference.

Price, 51, has been Cincinnati's pitching coach for the past four seasons and would replace Dusty Baker, who was relieved of his duties earlier this month after his team was defeated by the Pirates in the National League Wild Card Game.

Efforts to contact Price and general manager Walt Jocketty were not successful, and the Reds have made no announcements. Price was one of only two internal candidates for the job publicly named by Jocketty. The only other known candidate was Jim Riggleman, who has managed the Padres, Cubs, Mariners and Nationals.

This will be the first managerial job for Price, who interviewed for the Marlins' managerial vacancy last winter. Before joining Cincinnati, Price spent 10 seasons as a Major League pitching coach with the Mariners (2000-05) and D-backs ('06-09).

Under Price, the Reds' pitching staff had the fourth-best ERA in the Major Leagues this season and the most strikeouts in the NL. The 2012 pitching staff was one of the most successful groups in franchise history, ranking third in the league in team ERA. All five members of the rotation started 30 games that season, with four reaching 200 innings.

Price never pitched in the Majors, but he had a 31-19 record and 3.74 ERA in 90 Minor League games in the Angels and Mariners organizations. His career was shortened by left elbow surgery.

If Price assumes the job, he will be the third active manager in the Majors who was previously a pitching coach, joining the Padres' Bud Black and Red Sox skipper John Farrell.
Excitment......
This will be no small task for Bryan Price to have more success than his predecessor.

I hope he's a good motivator and can get the Redleggers fired up and peaking at the right time to make an NLCS or World Series push rather than a one game wildcard one and doner!

Time will tell, the media is already talking about him moving Chapman into the starting rotation.

Good luck and best of success to Bryan Price. :Thumbs:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
This is why they fail.
Why not go get a big name with proven wins?

This is a 100% complete risk that might work and might not.

Are we sure the Bungles management arent running the Reds?
Guess they went with the cheaper option
I was hoping that the Reds would've gone outside of the organization to hire someone that hasn't spent a lot of time around Dusty. I hope he learned how to manage games somewhere other than Cincy.
nky Wrote:Guess they went with the cheaper option

IMO they did go with the cheaper option in order to have the money to try and sign Choo to a long term deal.
[Image: http://assets0.ordienetworks.com/misc/an...amjump.gif]

Love It!
Price seemed pretty laid back and quiet in the presser yesterday afternoon. I hope he manages with some fire.
panther nation Wrote:IMO they did go with the cheaper option in order to have the money to try and sign Choo to a long term deal.
not going to happen unless they deal some of the other big $ players
I introduced myself and I spoke to Aaron Boone last night just before the Baseball Tonight show kicked off in Boston and he asked me what Cincy fans thought of the hiring of Price. I told him I'd have rather had him (Aaron) as the manager.....
Joe Price was here during the season that the players were supposedly lost in the locker room. So, doesn't that make him just as much a part of the problem as Dusty? If Joe Price is now a difference maker, why wasn't he one during the season???? Bad Hire! What former pitching coaches have ever made good managers?
I agree with you SD. I am NOT excited at all about this hire! I hope my feelings are wrong and change though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
Stardust Wrote:Joe Price was here during the season that the players were supposedly lost in the locker room. So, doesn't that make him just as much a part of the problem as Dusty? If Joe Price is now a difference maker, why wasn't he one during the season???? Bad Hire! What former pitching coaches have ever made good managers?

This thought crossed my mind as well. Lets hope Dusty ran a dictatorship and insisted his assistants remained tight lipped. If not we're screwed Confusednicker:, and you hit the nail on the head!

The odds are against him doing better than Dusty. They should've cut a big check and brought in a proven winner with NLCS/ALCS and World Series experience.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-Mahatma Gandhi
Stardust Wrote:What former pitching coaches have ever made good managers?

John Farrell.

...and look where he's at now.
Spirit100 Wrote:This thought crossed my mind as well. Lets hope Dusty ran a dictatorship and insisted his assistants remained tight lipped. If not we're screwed Confusednicker:, and you hit the nail on the head!

The odds are against him doing better than Dusty. They should've cut a big check and brought in a proven winner with NLCS/ALCS and World Series experience.

Spirit, did you listen to Lance's interview with Votto on the way to your game last night? Votto said that Price is just like Dusty in that Dusty let's players have their own personalities and lets the players do their own thing that motivates themselves. Well, that did it for me. If Joe Price is as casual with the players as Dusty was, then don't expect any changes from what we have already seen. What was discouraging about the whole interview was how the team responded to Scott Rolen and how he was a "leader by example". Well, that just goes to show that the coaches were not thought of as leaders, and when Rolen was no longer in the locker room, then no coach was looked at as a leader!
J-Rod Wrote:John Farrell.

...and look where he's at now.

John Farrell is a great example an is of the "Exception" but it took him his second try at managing a GREAT team in order to find success, while going 154-170 as Manager of the Blue Jays. But guys who are monumental flops like Jeff Torberg, Ray Miller, Marcel Lachemann, Phil Regan, Larry Rothschild, Joe Kerrigan (previous Red Sox Manager to be promoted to MGR), Bud Black are the "Rule".
Stardust Wrote:Spirit, did you listen to Lance's interview with Votto on the way to your game last night? Votto said that Price is just like Dusty in that Dusty let's players have their own personalities and lets the players do their own thing that motivates themselves. Well, that did it for me. If Joe Price is as casual with the players as Dusty was, then don't expect any changes from what we have already seen. What was discouraging about the whole interview was how the team responded to Scott Rolen and how he was a "leader by example". Well, that just goes to show that the coaches were not thought of as leaders, and when Rolen was no longer in the locker room, then no coach was looked at as a leader!

I didn't hear the interview. My response to what you heard is.....we're screwed, unless the Reds bring onboard Rolenish player leadership in the off season to supplement a players coach lax ways.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-Mahatma Gandhi
Anybody is better than Dusty.