Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SOMERSET A MOUNTAIN FOOTBALL TOWN ???
ColtPride Wrote:Why don't you read the thread correctly next time. He asked is Somerset a mountain town. There are other schools in Somerset besides Somerset High School. Somerset is not a mountain town. It's South Central Ky.

it wanted to whine:Sad04:
RoShamBo Wrote:^There's been Elk in Pulaski County. Only difference is we don't have to wait until they are in season or win a lottery to shoot them. If they make it past 75, and several have, they are fair game.

I wish ex wives had those exact rules.
RoShamBo Wrote:^There's been Elk in Pulaski County. Only difference is we don't have to wait until they are in season or win a lottery to shoot them. If they make it past 75, and several have, they are fair game.

Scary thought.

Imagine going about 70 on I-75 on a foggy fall night and a giant Bull Elk jumps out :yikes:
I only consider schools east of I-75 mountain schools.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Really Brahma Bull? A thread from 2005? Someone is bored Confusednicker:

My apologies to BrahmaBull. I thought you rehashed this old thread lol.
I didn't see the post above you. I had never seen the poster darthvader before and figured it for an old account.
Mark_my_words Wrote:I only consider schools east of I-75 mountain schools.

This is one of the lines that really don't make sense.

Does this mean Highlands is a "mountain school"?!?!?!:yikes:

Don't tell there fans, they'll be pissed there not in the mountain top 10.

It would explain why the anchors like those schools though :eyeroll:
More Cowbell Wrote:I get what you're saying about a lot of the WYMT coverage area not really being in the "mountains". That would certainly include places like Somerset, London, and Corbin.

But Bell County? They've got some of the highest mountains in the state. I can't imagine not considering Bell as part of eastern KY.

I guess its because i lived in that area my whole life. You are correct that Bell is nothing but hills and mountains. But it borders Whitley and Knox County and that's where the mountains really take a sharp decline all the way until you get to London where its more or less flat land. Bell has always just been part of this area and i really don't think of them as solely a EKY team. Harlan and Bell is where the line really splits for me.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I guess its because i lived in that area my whole life. You are correct that Bell is nothing but hills and mountains. But it borders Whitley and Knox County and that's where the mountains really take a sharp decline all the way until you get to London where its more or less flat land. Bell has always just been part of this area and i really don't think of them as solely a EKY team. Harlan and Bell is where the line really splits for me.

Since Bell is considered part of both southern KY and eastern KY, I guess that makes them SouthEast KY. Also he fact that they border Virginia (to the east of KY) and Tennessee (to the south).
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
What if we said east of 75 and south of 64? Haha
UKCC Wrote:What if we said east of 75 and south of 64? Haha

That's pretty much what WYMT does, with Pulaski being the exception to the rule.
No Somerset is absolutely NOT a mountain town. However, chances are your town is not either. By definition, a mountain has a relief of at least 1000 feet. The only real mountains in Kentucky are:
About 80 percent of Harlan county.
About half of Bell County
About 20 percent of Letcher County
A tiny slither along Pine Mountain in Pike County

Hazard, hyden, Manchester, prestonsburg etc.are in the hill. Not in the mountains.
More Cowbell Wrote:Since Bell is considered part of both southern KY and eastern KY, I guess that makes them SouthEast KY. Also he fact that they border Virginia (to the east of KY) and Tennessee (to the south).

Bell is Southeast same as Whitley and McCreary.
UKCC Wrote:What if we said east of 75 and south of 64? Haha

getting closer lol
rojas Wrote:No Somerset is absolutely NOT a mountain town. However, chances are your town is not either. By definition, a mountain has a relief of at least 1000 feet. The only real mountains in Kentucky are:

Hazard, hyden, Manchester, prestonsburg etc.are in the hill. Not in the mountains.

Whitley County has mountains Smile
pjdoug Wrote:Whitley County has mountains Smile

Actually, you are correct. The small part of Pine Mountain, where it forms the boundary with Bell County has a relief of up to 1,121 feet. The highest point in Whitley County is 2,200 feet above sea level. The bottom of the same mountain is 1,079 feet above sea level for a difference of 1,121. Good point.

http://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=7462

Other so called mountains in Whitley County; such as Brushy Mountain, Vanderpool Mountains, Paterson Mountains, Powers Mountain, etc., are almost mountains but technically big hills.
rojas Wrote:Actually, you are correct. The small part of Pine Mountain, where it forms the boundary with Bell County has a relief of up to 1,121 feet. The highest point in Whitley County is 2,200 feet above sea level. The bottom of the same mountain is 1,079 feet above sea level for a difference of 1,121. Good point.

http://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=7462

Other so called mountains in Whitley County; such as Brushy Mountain, Vanderpool Mountains, Paterson Mountains, Powers Mountain, etc., are almost mountains but technically big hills.

I hadn't heard of a couple these mountains.I'm sure Jellico Creek and Peak Mountain could be added to the list.
^^^^ Wow you guys went to a whole new level in figuring out mountain football
Objective Wrote:^^^^ Wow you guys went to a whole new level in figuring out mountain football

Well, if we are getting technical, a mountain has to be 1,000 feet high. Most of the hills in Kentucky places that we like to call mountains are only 200-400 feet high. Harlan County is really the heart of the Cumberland Mountain region. All of Harlan County's mountains are well over 1,000 feet high.

7 of the highest 8 mountains in the state are all in Harlan County. The one exception is Potato Hill near Whitesburg in Letcher County. The highest of course is Big Black Mountain near Lynch that goes to an elevation of 4,139 feet above sea level and has a relief of about 2,200 feet.
pjdoug Wrote:Bell is Southeast same as Whitley and McCreary.

McCreary is southern only. Look on a map, they are directly south of Lexington and Cincinnati.

Whitley is borderline. I guess they could be southeastern.

Bell is definitely southeastern.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rojas Wrote:No Somerset is absolutely NOT a mountain town. However, chances are your town is not either. By definition, a mountain has a relief of at least 1000 feet. The only real mountains in Kentucky are:

There are several points in southern (Red Bird) and eastern Clay County that reach above 1,000 feet. I don't beleive any town seats are going to see high mountains. I would put Leslie, Perry, Knott, and Floyd in that same boat. I look at this more of a county thing rather than town even though the thread says "Somerset".
I think the cutoff of the mountain schools is correct in PC.
UKCC Wrote:There are several points in southern (Red Bird) and eastern Clay County that reach above 1,000 feet. I don't beleive any town seats are going to see high mountains. I would put Leslie, Perry, Knott, and Floyd in that same boat. I look at this more of a county thing rather than town even though the thread says "Somerset".

The highest point in clay county is Sugar Gap near Beverly. Sugar gap has an elevation of 2235. The base of the hill is 1433 for a height of 802 feet. As far as county seats, Harlan is surrounded by mountains more than 1500 feet in height.
More Cowbell Wrote:McCreary is southern only. Look on a map, they are directly south of Lexington and Cincinnati.

Whitley is borderline. I guess they could be southeastern.

Bell is definitely southeastern.

Whitley and McCreary are both Southeastern KentuckyConfusedtare:
some people on here are horrible with geography Confusednicker:
rojas Wrote:The highest point in clay county is Sugar Gap near Beverly. Sugar gap has an elevation of 2235. The base of the hill is 1433 for a height of 802 feet. As far as county seats, Harlan is surrounded by mountains more than 1500 feet in height.

I see what you mean but only some sources still use the 1,000 feet as a technical definition. I view (only my opinion) a mountain as beginning at sea level. I understand that can get confusing when it's simply rolling hills and then the base of a mountain begins. Although meeting height requirement, it doesn't have the "look". Harlan County definitely is the most mountainous area of the state. I was raised in Clay County while my father's family is from Letcher. I've been up Black Mountain several times. Harlan and Letcher Counties are without question mountain counties but Clay, Leslie, Perry, Knott, Pike, Bell, etc. aren't far off. Close enough that, I myself, have to count them.

*This is by no means a shot at you Rojas.

As far as those who don't understand why this thread is a "thing". IMO, mountain people are unlike any other group in this country. It's the least changed region of America (both good and bad). We take a lot of flak from everyone and sadly people from Kentucky as little as a county or two away as well. We take the term (and our sports) seriously, we don't just let anyone in.
pjdoug Wrote:some people on here are horrible with geography Confusednicker:

Are you speaking of yourself? :biggrin:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This happens every year and I do believe we have reached a new point, actually labeling the geographic mountains by definition.

People get absolutely torn up about this every year. Just like every year we will have a thread about going back to 4 classes or moving the Championships to Louisville haha.
More Cowbell Wrote:Are you speaking of yourself? :biggrin:

No! I know I live in Southeastern Kentucky Smile