Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How good are they?
I have put Johnson Central at #2 spot in 4A but after looking closer at their schedule, I am wondering if I have made them out to be better than the are. Harlan is best team they played so far and they are showing the are just average this year. The rest of schedule is weak except 3A Belfry who Harlan handled fairly easy and JC should easily beat if top 4A team. So we will not really get to see JC tested until maybe second round of playoffs. Their offense has to be good to put up points like it is, but am I giving them too much credit for the poor schedule the have?
sstack Wrote:I have put Johnson Central at #2 spot in 4A but after looking closer at their schedule, I am wondering if I have made them out to be better than the are. Harlan is best team they played so far and they are showing the are just average this year. The rest of schedule is weak except 3A Belfry who Harlan handled fairly easy and JC should easily beat if top 4A team. So we will not really get to see JC tested until maybe second round of playoffs. Their offense has to be good to put up points like it is, but am I giving them too much credit for the poor schedule the have?

Belfry beat Harlan County.
JC has pounded every body in front of them. That is all they can do.
I won't dodge the question. My answer is yes and no. Johnson Central is a legit title contender, yes. No they are not the 2nd best team in 4A, IMO. But it is hard to tell because they haven't really had a tough schedule. Will they be tested enough by the time playoffs come around? We all know they have the toughest road to Bowling Green. Time will tell
I think it's a toss up between Boyle County and Johnson Central for the #2 spot. With the win over Lex Cath I give Boyle the edge for now.
Alex Green here...

I wish people wouldn't start threads like this. I think every body on BGR knows that JC is my team. I love and support any JC athletic program.

But for people to start threads like this kills me. Let the the kids play! These are 14-18 year old boys.

I'm at the field atleast an hour early if not more on Friday nights because most of the kids I've had in elementary wrestling camps or refereed them in elementary football games and love to see them play under the lights as well as we know they can.

Highlands, Cov. Cath., Boyle County, Lexington Catholic are excellent teams and they all have a state football championship in their trophy case. JC has 0 state football titles as of right now. Do I believe JC will win a state football title, YES, I do. JC has one of the best feeder programs in the entire state. JC has the support the of community, the school board/administrative staff and our coaches are some of the best in the state.

JC is 6-0 and have beaten Harlan County and got a huge win for the program last Friday night at the Tank Stadium in Ironton, OH. Some teams didn't have the numbers and talent JC has this year, but that doesn't mean those teams didn't plasy as hard as they could. Everybody is expecting JC to make a deep playoff run and challenge Highlands.

So please, let us at JC be. Let our kids play and let our seniors enjoy these remaining Friday nights that they will never get back. We love our kids at JC. We love Friday Night Football.

No matter how this season turns out.... our fans, our players and our students are still gonna be proud of our Golden Eagles because for those few hours on Friday nights, nothing else seems to matter. From Flat Gap to Hammond and from Red Bush to Oil Springs..... our county is painted Black and Gold on Friday nights.
Harlan did not easily handle Belfry. Belfry beat Harlan County @ Harlan County in week two 21-12. Belfry will be the best team Johnson Central plays until Highlands IMO and Johnson Central will be the best team Belfry plays until the state championship this year assuming both teams make it that far.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Belfry beat Harlan County.

Do your homework sstack before starting a thread like this:

Confusederiously:

Credibility, exit....stage left!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Alex Green here...

I wish people wouldn't start threads like this. I think every body on BGR knows that JC is my team. I love and support any JC athletic program.

But for people to start threads like this kills me. Let the the kids play! These are 14-18 year old boys.

I'm at the field atleast an hour early if not more on Friday nights because most of the kids I've had in elementary wrestling camps or refereed them in elementary football games and love to see them play under the lights as well as we know they can.

Highlands, Cov. Cath., Boyle County, Lexington Catholic are excellent teams and they all have a state football championship in their trophy case. JC has 0 state football titles as of right now. Do I believe JC will win a state football title, YES, I do. JC has one of the best feeder programs in the entire state. JC has the support the of community, the school board/administrative staff and our coaches are some of the best in the state.

JC is 6-0 and have beaten Harlan County and got a huge win for the program last Friday night at the Tank Stadium in Ironton, OH. Some teams didn't have the numbers and talent JC has this year, but that doesn't mean those teams didn't plasy as hard as they could. Everybody is expecting JC to make a deep playoff run and challenge Highlands.

So please, let us at JC be. Let our kids play and let our seniors enjoy these remaining Friday nights that they will never get back. We love our kids at JC. We love Friday Night Football.

No matter how this season turns out.... our fans, our players and our students are still gonna be proud of our Golden Eagles because for those few hours on Friday nights, nothing else seems to matter. From Flat Gap to Hammond and from Red Bush to Oil Springs..... our county is painted Black and Gold on Friday nights.

Well said Pulp, I like your style. Don't let the turkeys get you down! :Thumbs:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
sstack Wrote:I have put Johnson Central at #2 spot in 4A but after looking closer at their schedule, I am wondering if I have made them out to be better than the are. Harlan is best team they played so far and they are showing the are just average this year. The rest of schedule is weak except 3A Belfry who Harlan handled fairly easy and JC should easily beat if top 4A team. So we will not really get to see JC tested until maybe second round of playoffs. Their offense has to be good to put up points like it is, but am I giving them too much credit for the poor schedule the have?

Not only did Harlan County (not Harlan) not handle Belfry easily, Belfry actually won 21-12 on the road in a game that was a couple dropped TD's away from being a blowout. In addition, over the past few seasons Belfry has been as good as any team in 4A not named Highlands... the only 4A team who would have beat Belfry handily in Week 10 over the past few years is Highlands and maybe CovCath.

To answer your question though, JC has been the second best team in 4A a couple different times over the past 5 or 6 years.. this is the best JC team of the lot. Does that mean they beat Highlands or even keep it close? No, But schedule aside, this is a veteran JC team with the closest semblance of balance they have had.
I think you guys are missing the point. Sstack is really saying he doesn't care about any of your teams, no body is close to Highlands. IMO.
Dropaduece Wrote:I think you guys are missing the point. Sstack is really saying he doesn't care about any of your teams, no body is close to Highlands. IMO.

Care or not.... why did he use JC?

There 30+ more teams in 4A.
The duece can't answer that my friend. I have no problem with JC.
Sorry but I think this kind of thread is exactly what these forums are about. Sure he got mixed up with Belfry and HC but he is basically thinking out loud about just how good JC is? I mean come on he said he has them ranked 2nd !! That seems to show a little respect I think. Maybe he's looking for somebody to convince him. I personally think JC could give Highlands a game this year. I'm a Boyle guy but I'm not exactly sure just how good they are and I've seen them play every game. He was just wondering out loud. He has them ranked second what more do you want?
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Care or not.... why did he use JC?

There 30+ more teams in 4A.

Really? Looking for a good debate about how good Marion Co. or Taylor Co. or Clay Co really are? Tell us why they are the number 2 team in 4A and be happy to be relevant !!!
I'm with Pulp. This constant refrain about strength of schedule grows more annoying every week. Hopefully you'll find out whether we're any good in the regional final. Until then, it's idle chatter and everybody on both sides of the fence will have opinions. Those who watch JC football almost all agree this is the most balanced and probably talented team across the board that we've had. Take that for what you will.
Please spread the word around Fort Thomas that JC is playing a cream puff schedule and is greatly overrated this season. No threat at all to Highlands' inevitable march to another state title this season, so you all would just be wasting your time scouting or watching videos of the Golden Eagles. If I were Coach Mueller, I would be preparing for the state title game instead of worrying about little ole Johnson Central. Would you please tell him that?

:poker face:
[HTML][/HTML] (Just in case anybody did not catch the dripping sarcasm of my last post.)
Let's all just take it as a compliment. Evidently we must have them a bit worried... And personally I think they should be!
64black&gold Wrote:Sorry but I think this kind of thread is exactly what these forums are about. Sure he got mixed up with Belfry and HC but he is basically thinking out loud about just how good JC is? I mean come on he said he has them ranked 2nd !! That seems to show a little respect I think. Maybe he's looking for somebody to convince him. I personally think JC could give Highlands a game this year. I'm a Boyle guy but I'm not exactly sure just how good they are and I've seen them play every game. He was just wondering out loud. He has them ranked second what more do you want?

Thanks, you seem to be the only one to understand what I am asking. I have shown ton of respect of JC. and sorry I did have Belfry score backwards but did say that would be their toughest game so no disrespect to Belfry either. A few on here did start to answer my question by comparing them to past teams which is what I was looking for. If as good as past teams that made Highlands earn their wins then I think they are their biggest threat again this year. I did not put them down for a weak schedule, I just said it makes it hard to gauge how good the are ( good, very good, great). If running game is as good as best years, they will score on Highlands and the question is can they slow up Highlands O which is very very strong. JC will need 8 min drives ending in TD's. I was just asking if this team can do that.
JCHS Alumni Eagle Wrote:Let's all just take it as a compliment. Evidently we must have them a bit worried... And personally I think they should be!

It is a compliment, some are just so defensive they take all questions/talk as someone putting them down. Not too worried because I honestly do not think anyone can stop Highlands offense. I do think JC can put some points on the board but not more than Highlands. Looking forward too the matchup between the two teams.
sstack Wrote:It is a compliment, some are just so defensive they take all questions/talk as someone putting them down. Not too worried because I honestly do not think anyone can stop Highlands offense. I do think JC can put some points on the board but not more than Highlands. Looking forward too the match-up between the two teams.
Don't mistake a little good natured sarcasm for defensiveness. I don't think anybody can possibly know how this JC would stack up against Highlands until and if the two teams meet. The Golden Eagles still have a district title to win and a match-up against a potentially healthy Covington Catholic team before anybody needs to worry about JC's strength of schedule.

Your question is a legitimate one, but JC has never been able to play as strong a schedule as Highlands, and yet Highlands has never been able to stop their running game.
I'll answer this way. This is the most athletic team I have ever seen at JC. If they go undefeated then I will say with 100 percent certainty this is the best team we have ever had, and I think it is! But it is hard to say that if we loose a game at week 10 which I don't think we will.
JCHS Alumni Eagle Wrote:I'll answer this way. This is the most athletic team I have ever seen at JC. If they go undefeated then I will say with 100 percent certainty this is the best team we have ever had, and I think it is! But it is hard to say that if we loose a game at week 10 which I don't think we will.

JC's 2000 team (11-1) was our ever district championship team. They were 10-0 in the regular season. Our offense was Casey Music, Scott Salyers, Chat Yates, Marc Shepherd (I know I'm leaving some people out) 95% run.

JC's 2006 team (13-1) was our first ever regional championship team and had our deepest playoff run in school's history. They were 10-0 in the regular season. Our offense was JK Ratliff, Shawn Grim, Blake Johnson (I know I'm leaving some people out) 90% run.

This year's team could very easily join the 10-0 regular season crowd at JC. But I know these boys want state championship trophy.
I will say this: if we can't win at Belfry, I doubt we can at Highlands. That game will tell the tale. If we handle Belfry on the road, then I feel good about us being physical enough to play with HHS. If not...
At this point in the season this is the best JCHS team I have ever watched play. IMO last season JCHS played there best football in the Ironton game. They had a few guys get hurt last year in the Ironton game and never did recover. Football can be cruel and a season can change on a single play! IMO JCHS needs to focus on one game at a time and make it to the playoffs healthy!
JCHS Alumni Eagle Wrote:I'll answer this way. This is the most athletic team I have ever seen at JC. If they go undefeated then I will say with 100 percent certainty this is the best team we have ever had, and I think it is! But it is hard to say that if we loose a game at week 10 which I don't think we will.

We know the run game will be hitting on all cylinders. The big question will be can the DB's keep up with the 8-10 man WR rotation Highlands runs, will JC have enough game experience to defend hurry up offense that you have to defend pass and run, can they pressure QB, can the stop the long plays for quick scores? And for Highlands, can they slow up JC's run game, can they force them into pass game to catch up, can they win the battle of special teams? This is the yawner part of season for fans of both teams and gets us looking forward to playoffs.
I think again this is the best group of athletes we have ever had collectively on both sides of the ball... Our defensive backs are all very fast...the only thing I worry about with them is their height. Our defense has scored in quite a few games this year and is as strong as I have seen it in quite a while. There have been a number of games this year that scores coulda been prevented for opposing teams had Matney wanted the goose egg. One thing that I think most can agree with is that our d line size has decreased this year but our kids are much faster. In a way it reminds me of some of the d lines you all have had the last few years... But we are not that small.
sstack Wrote:We know the run game will be hitting on all cylinders. The big question will be can the DB's keep up with the 8-10 man WR rotation Highlands runs, will JC have enough game experience to defend hurry up offense that you have to defend pass and run, can they pressure QB, can the stop the long plays for quick scores? And for Highlands, can they slow up JC's run game, can they force them into pass game to catch up, can they win the battle of special teams? This is the yawner part of season for fans of both teams and gets us looking forward to playoffs.
Surely, by now, the answer to the question in bold has been answered for you. If JC passes against Highlands, it will not be because Highlands forces them to pass. It has not yet happened, so it is reasonable to assume that it will not happen this year either. Mueller does not run the ball in obvious running situations, such as sitting on top of a 70-0 lead, and Matney does not necessarily pass the ball in obvious passing situations.
The Road ends at Highlands.