Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Middle School Football
His looks will carry the Belfry Pirates through.
johnnyd Wrote:His looks will carry the Belfry Pirates through.

Are you sure about that?

:thatsfunn
dblg11 Wrote:What was Belfry Middle School's record last season? If i recall they had some losses that they should have won.

Although their record wasn't very good, what games did they lose that they should have won?

The only one I can think of may be against Magoffin Co., but when you have four TDs called back you aren't going to win many football games.

I do agree that Coach Deskin's looks and the looks of the handsome gentleman that work with him has no effect on the outcome of a game.Smile
Mr. Right Wrote:Although their record wasn't very good, what games did they lose that they should have won?

The only one I can think of may be against Magoffin Co., but when you have four TDs called back you aren't going to win many football games.

I do agree that Coach Deskin's looks and the looks of the handsome gentleman that work with him has no effect on the outcome of a game.Smile

Yes i agree.:thatsfunn But with the talent of a school like Belfry Middle School should have they shouldn't lose a game. I remember way back when Turkey Creek dominated the area. They lost less games in a season than the Middle School did last season. Maybe instead of worrying about his looks Coach Deskins should worry about his not so great record. :thumpsup:
I dont know anything about the talent and this is not Deskins, but I just know that hes a good coach and a good looking man.
dblg11 Wrote:Yes i agree.:thatsfunn But with the talent of a school like Belfry Middle School should have they shouldn't lose a game. I remember way back when Turkey Creek dominated the area. They lost less games in a season than the Middle School did last season. Maybe instead of worrying about his looks Coach Deskins should worry about his not so great record. :thumpsup:

I know Kevin fairly well and I think he is doing a good job teaching these kids football.
Mr. Right Wrote:I know Kevin fairly well and I think he is doing a good job teaching these kids football.

I agree 100% :thumpsup: .....
Deskins is a good guy, and works har with this program. Lets try and stay staaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaight in here!!! This is about football.
Dream_Weaver Wrote:[/b]

I agree 100% :thumpsup: .....

Me too!

Kevin and the coaching staff at BMS does a great job with these kids:1:
dblg11 Wrote:Yes i agree.:thatsfunn But with the talent of a school like Belfry Middle School should have they shouldn't lose a game. I remember way back when Turkey Creek dominated the area. They lost less games in a season than the Middle School did last season. Maybe instead of worrying about his looks Coach Deskins should worry about his not so great record. :thumpsup:

Thats a whole different can of worms and its history. I'm not taking away from the kids in any way. They dominated, they were talented...period...but they were the only middle school around here. Three of the feeder schools made up TC middle so they had a lot of kids to choose from and they dominated the 3 remaining feeder schools who were still grade schools with kids who lived in their own area for the most part. Like I said, I'm not taking away from their talent but you cant compare what TC middle had to choose from and what the grade schools had to chose from.
I don't think that people realize in football and basketball the Belfry area was very down after Keith May had left the TC football/basketball programs for 2 years. People just coached because their son was playing or because they just wanted a team, heck none of the schools but one really tried to get coaches.

This is just some of the battles he fought

1 - Most kids only practiced 2-3 times a week before last year
2 - You had parents and kids that did not adjust well to them being little fish in a VERY BIG POND
3 - The lack of discipline that some of these kids was AMAZING

Overall I feel everyone up their has done a very good job and you will see the improvments this year.
well personally it rlly dont matter wat size u r if ur good my 8th grade year my team lineman averaged 180 and we played knott county whose line avraged 220 and we won
JD If U Please Wrote:I don't think that people realize in football and basketball the Belfry area was very down after Keith May had left the TC football/basketball programs for 2 years. People just coached because their son was playing or because they just wanted a team, heck none of the schools but one really tried to get coaches.

This is just some of the battles he fought

1 - Most kids only practiced 2-3 times a week before last year
2 - You had parents and kids that did not adjust well to them being little fish in a VERY BIG POND
3 - The lack of discipline that some of these kids was AMAZING

Overall I feel everyone up their has done a very good job and you will see the improvments this year.

:Thumbs: I know my family is Very pleased with the coaching staff in the atheletic dept AND in the school itself!! My kids love the coaches!
37cougar Wrote:well personally it rlly dont matter wat size u r if ur good my 8th grade year my team lineman averaged 180 and we played knott county whose line avraged 220 and we won

I agree that just because your big dont mean you'll win...
thank u 4 agreeing
Pirates~R~Us Wrote::Thumbs: I know my family is Very pleased with the coaching staff in the atheletic dept AND in the school itself!! My kids love the coaches!

I agree.....the staff/coaches at BMS are the best.....:1:
Pirates~R~Us Wrote:Thats a whole different can of worms and its history. I'm not taking away from the kids in any way. They dominated, they were talented...period...but they were the only middle school around here. Three of the feeder schools made up TC middle so they had a lot of kids to choose from and they dominated the 3 remaining feeder schools who were still grade schools with kids who lived in their own area for the most part. Like I said, I'm not taking away from their talent but you cant compare what TC middle had to choose from and what the grade schools had to chose from.

TC Middle not only dominated the Belfry area they dominated everywhere. All the schools that Belfry Middle are playing now TCMS has beaten in the past. Now you have 3 more schools in that program and can't beat those teams. That in my opinion is rediculous. I don't know coach Deskins personally but I have heard great things about him. He just needs 2 prove it on the field.
dblg11 Wrote:TC Middle not only dominated the Belfry area they dominated everywhere. All the schools that Belfry Middle are playing now TCMS has beaten in the past. Now you have 3 more schools in that program and can't beat those teams. That in my opinion is rediculous. I don't know coach Deskins personally but I have heard great things about him. He just needs 2 prove it on the field.

Uh, you're wrong......They played Virge and Madison-Scott WV, that was the only tough games they had. They may have played Matewan, WV, too.

And this isn't a knock on BMS kids, but I haven't seen any kids on the BMS teams that could play with Paul & Doug Howard, Tyler Bostic, Gary Childers, Matt Marucm, etc. These kids were studs and Keith May was fortunate to have a team with such good ball players. Granted, he did what he was supposed to do with them, and that is win.

But it would have been pretty hard not to win with those guys on your team.
Mr. Right Wrote:Uh, you're wrong......They played Virge and Madison-Scott WV, that was the only tough games they had. They may have played Matewan, WV, too.

And this isn't a knock on BMS kids, but I haven't seen any kids on the BMS teams that could play with Paul & Doug Howard, Tyler Bostic, Gary Childers, Matt Marucm, etc. These kids were studs and Keith May was fortunate to have a team with such good ball players. Granted, he did what he was supposed to do with them, and that is win.

But it would have been pretty hard not to win with those guys on your team.

I agree on that. But TCMS also played Gilbert Middle, Pikeville, and Johnson County Middle. Which were most of the time wins. Also this was with 3 less schools!!
Sense holdbacks is what this thread is about were some of these dandy ball players holdbacks .I think so. AS for Keith M. I think he is a dandy coach and loves to coach, but when the talent at TC left he did also. (But there were some parent issues also,I,ve heard that he just wanted away from, lil johnny parents thinking their kid was better than he showed things of that line. AS for Kevin and crew giv'em time and time will tell. I think they are on track to do good things with BMS and the kids as a whole not just in football when u have 30 to 50 middle school kids show up , for conditioning ,running ,weight lifting in the off season and not on the couch playing playstation they must be enjoy something and when these things happen great thing follows.
IMO as long as they are under 15 before entering the 8th grade again Its fine. I myself was a hold back but this was before they made this 15 year old rule.I was held back because I was not mature enough for highschool, I also started early so I was turning 14 in september my second 8th grade year. I was the same age as any other 8th grader but I was a lil bigger and better cause I was used to playing with the older kids, but one of the parents of a teammate on the football team ratted me out that I was held back and I was told the friday pactice before the first game of the year (that following monday) that I couldnt play or my team would have to forfiet every game. So I had to set out that whole year of sports when back then Virgie and Pikeville both were known for holding back but I lost my chance because of a jealous parent. Even though I did not get to play sports that year I dont regret it at all because I learned so much this year and grew as a person. I totally support being held back as long as it is for the right cause.
dblg11 Wrote:I agree on that. But TCMS also played Gilbert Middle, Pikeville, and Johnson County Middle. Which were most of the time wins. Also this was with 3 less schools!!

They did play Pikeville, I forgot that one, but Gilbert didn't have a middle school then (they were junior high or 7-9), and never do I remember them playing JCMS.

I could be mistaken but Johnson Co. Middle is barely older than Belfry Middle.
Droopy_Cougar Wrote:IMO as long as they are under 15 before entering the 8th grade again Its fine. I myself was a hold back but this was before they made this 15 year old rule.I was held back because I was not mature enough for highschool, I also started early so I was turning 14 in september my second 8th grade year. I was the same age as any other 8th grader but I was a lil bigger and better cause I was used to playing with the older kids, but one of the parents of a teammate on the football team ratted me out that I was held back and I was told the friday pactice before the first game of the year (that following monday) that I couldnt play or my team would have to forfiet every game. So I had to set out that whole year of sports when back then Virgie and Pikeville both were known for holding back but I lost my chance because of a jealous parent. Even though I did not get to play sports that year I dont regret it at all because I learned so much this year and grew as a person. I totally support being held back as long as it is for the right cause.

What's the wrong cause????

Nothing wrong with holding a kid back, IMO, and it should be a parental decision only. It bugs me that the KHSAA would want to penalize any kid because their parents felt that holding them back would be beneficial to them in anyway.
BelfryBuck Wrote:Sense holdbacks is what this thread is about were some of these dandy ball players holdbacks .I think so. AS for Keith M. I think he is a dandy coach and loves to coach, but when the talent at TC left he did also. (But there were some parent issues also,I,ve heard that he just wanted away from, lil johnny parents thinking their kid was better than he showed things of that line. AS for Kevin and crew giv'em time and time will tell. I think they are on track to do good things with BMS and the kids as a whole not just in football when u have 30 to 50 middle school kids show up , for conditioning ,running ,weight lifting in the off season and not on the couch playing playstation they must be enjoy something and when these things happen great thing follows.

Well, you apparently do not know the real reason he left, there were and still are those parents who think their children are the stars and they equate stars with points and that is not what it is all about. Keith taught respect, responsibility, discipline and a true love for the sport. He left because it was the right time for him to leave. If you can remember correctly, he took the program at TC when no one else would and he has brought many teams up from the bottom, which means he was there many seasons without any "talent" so you really can't say he left when the talent did. It seems like those athletes with "talent" are those who mommy and daddy think deserve all the playing time, there are plenty of good athletes which have been pushed and worked with which have turned out to perform as well and with more heart than those with "raw talent." And the key word here is that Keith LOVES to coach, he loves the sport and giving to the kids in the community.
Pirates~R~Us Wrote:Thats a whole different can of worms and its history. I'm not taking away from the kids in any way. They dominated, they were talented...period...but they were the only middle school around here. Three of the feeder schools made up TC middle so they had a lot of kids to choose from and they dominated the 3 remaining feeder schools who were still grade schools with kids who lived in their own area for the most part. Like I said, I'm not taking away from their talent but you cant compare what TC middle had to choose from and what the grade schools had to chose from.

And you think all the kids who are playing now are from their OWN area? Many will argue that and few know the truth. That in itself is a whole can of worms too!!
sportsfreak2 Wrote:Well, you apparently do not know the real reason he left, there were and still are those parents who think their children are the stars and they equate stars with points and that is not what it is all about. Keith taught respect, responsibility, discipline and a true love for the sport. He left because it was the right time for him to leave. If you can remember correctly, he took the program at TC when no one else would and he has brought many teams up from the bottom, which means he was there many seasons without any "talent" so you really can't say he left when the talent did. It seems like those athletes with "talent" are those who mommy and daddy think deserve all the playing time, there are plenty of good athletes which have been pushed and worked with which have turned out to perform as well and with more heart than those with "raw talent." And the key word here is that Keith LOVES to coach, he loves the sport and giving to the kids in the community.

I agree wih this statement, Keith left for reasons him and his family knows, and there was talent at TCMS when he left, he Dustin May and about 5-7 others that under the right coach would have won the county...............

Keith is a great coach and person and I hope he gets more involved with other programs at BMS.
sportsfreak2 Wrote:Well, you apparently do not know the real reason he left, there were and still are those parents who think their children are the stars and they equate stars with points and that is not what it is all about. Keith taught respect, responsibility, discipline and a true love for the sport. He left because it was the right time for him to leave. If you can remember correctly, he took the program at TC when no one else would and he has brought many teams up from the bottom, which means he was there many seasons without any "talent" so you really can't say he left when the talent did. It seems like those athletes with "talent" are those who mommy and daddy think deserve all the playing time, there are plenty of good athletes which have been pushed and worked with which have turned out to perform as well and with more heart than those with "raw talent." And the key word here is that Keith LOVES to coach, he loves the sport and giving to the kids in the community.

AMEN!!! Keith is awesome with kids... granted.. he does hate to lose ( I have a youngin that is JUST like him...LOL).... BUT you tell me a coach who does?? Go Keith!! Continue to use your smarts to encourage the youth of WHAT EVER area you chose to coach in!!!
[QUOTE=sportsfreak2]Well, you apparently do not know the real reason he left, there were and still are those parents who think their children are the stars and they equate stars with points and that is not what it is all about. Keith taught respect, responsibility, discipline and a true love for the sport. He left because it was the right time for him to leave. If you can remember correctly, he took the program at TC when no one else would and he has brought many teams up from the bottom, which means he was there many seasons without any "talent" so you really can't say he left when the talent did. It seems like those athletes with "talent" are those who mommy and daddy think deserve all the playing time, there are plenty of good athletes which have been pushed and worked with which have turned out to perform as well and with more heart than those with "raw talent." And the key word here is that Keith LOVES to coach, he loves the sport and giving to the kids in the community.[/QUOTE]

We need more people like him involved with our young athletes.....can never have too many people who love what they do and do it well....BMS has done a wonderful job of getting coaches and teachers who all have the same goal----being the best :1:
Dream_Weaver Wrote:[QUOTE=sportsfreak2]Well, you apparently do not know the real reason he left, there were and still are those parents who think their children are the stars and they equate stars with points and that is not what it is all about. Keith taught respect, responsibility, discipline and a true love for the sport. He left because it was the right time for him to leave. If you can remember correctly, he took the program at TC when no one else would and he has brought many teams up from the bottom, which means he was there many seasons without any "talent" so you really can't say he left when the talent did. It seems like those athletes with "talent" are those who mommy and daddy think deserve all the playing time, there are plenty of good athletes which have been pushed and worked with which have turned out to perform as well and with more heart than those with "raw talent." And the key word here is that Keith LOVES to coach, he loves the sport and giving to the kids in the community.[/QUOTE]

We need more people like him involved with our young athletes.....can never have too many people who love what they do and do it well....BMS has done a wonderful job of getting coaches and teachers who all have the same goal----being the best :1:

I agree. Keith not only loves 2 coach he is damn good at it. In my opinion he is 1 of the best coaches around. I would love 2 see him get bac into coaching footbally. Go Keith!!
Why did Belfry cancel the game against Whitesburg today? Was really wanting to see that game and heard Belfry cancelled with them....Very Dissapointing..I know Whitesburg beat them 38-2 last year and Whitesburg seems to be ALOT better than last year!