Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Robert Morris @ Eastern Kentucky 8/29
The Colonels kick off their season this Thursday night in Richmond when Robert Morris comes to town. Hopefully the Colonels will have better luck with them the UK had on the hardwood last season.

Who you got?
I think EKU will take this one. Robert Morris is coming off of a 4-7 season and aren't in a traditionally strong conference. The Colonels defense looked very good in their two scrimmages and should be the backbone of the team this season. The offense struggled at times but I think that can be attributed to the play of the defense as well as the play calling. With Jared McClain starting a quarterback this season they will use a lot of rollouts and zone reads to give him a chance to run the ball. In the scrimmages they didn't really run any zone read since the quarterbacks don't get hit--that took a dimensionn out of the offense that will be there in a live game. Also, in the second scrimmage they really played the 2nd and 3rd string quarterbacks a lot--I'm guessing to settle who the backup to McClain will be. I've got high hopes for this team. The front 7 on defense is just nasty and with the addition of Patrick Graffree will be even tougher. Special teams look good and I think the offense will be fine as well. Who all is coming out to the opener Thursday? Go Colonels!
Walt Longmire Wrote:I think EKU will take this one. Robert Morris is coming off of a 4-7 season and aren't in a traditionally strong conference. The Colonels defense looked very good in their two scrimmages and should be the backbone of the team this season. The offense struggled at times but I think that can be attributed to the play of the defense as well as the play calling. With Jared McClain starting a quarterback this season they will use a lot of rollouts and zone reads to give him a chance to run the ball. In the scrimmages they didn't really run any zone read since the quarterbacks don't get hit--that took a dimensionn out of the offense that will be there in a live game. Also, in the second scrimmage they really played the 2nd and 3rd string quarterbacks a lot--I'm guessing to settle who the backup to McClain will be. I've got high hopes for this team. The front 7 on defense is just nasty and with the addition of Patrick Graffree will be even tougher. Special teams look good and I think the offense will be fine as well. Who all is coming out to the opener Thursday? Go Colonels!

I've heard good things about the defensive line. They may have to carry the load until the offense can jell. Thanks for the info Walt. I hope you will keep us informed this year on the Colonels.
Getting Matt Lengel back at tight end will be a big help for the offense. He looked really good in the first scrimmage before tweaking his knee a little bit. I'm not sure if he'll play vs. Robert Morris yet but his injury isn't serious and he should be fine. He's a huge target across the middle and a really good blocker as well. EKU has some really nice size at the receiver and tight end positions. I think the offense will be fine as the year goes along.
A little more than 24 hours away. I'll take the Colonels. I can't wait.
Some information on the game from the EKU sports website:

RICHMOND, Ky. – It's been 13 years since the Eastern Kentucky University football team has opened its season at home on a Thursday night. That will all change this Thursday when the Colonels welcome Robert Morris to Roy Kidd Stadium. Kick-off is set for 7 p.m.

The Colonels, ranked No. 19 nationally in the preseason FCS coaches poll, were picked second in the preseason OVC poll behind defending league champion Eastern Illinois. Since Dean Hood took over as EKU's head coach in 2008, the Colonels have won two OVC championships and 29 league games. Both of those numbers are tops among the nine OVC football teams.

This is the first ever meeting between the two teams and also the first time EKU has faced a team from the Northeast Conference. Robert Morris was picked second in the NEC preseason poll by The Sports Network. RMU head coach Joe Walton, who is in his 20th year with the Colonials, is set to be inducted into the RMU Athletics Hall of Fame this November.

There will be plenty of pregame and postgame festivities Thursday evening surrounding the football game. The tailgating lot will open at 4 p.m., while the Colonel Walk is scheduled for 4:45 p.m.

There will be a Chick-fil-A Junior Colonel Club Inflatable Kids Zone both in the tailgate area and in the stadium. Papa John's will be on hand giving out prizes to lucky fans.

The brand new Daktronics HD video board will be unveiled prior to kickoff and will feature a Hollywood-produced introduction video for the Colonels.

The first 4,000 students to enter the stadium will receive an EKU maroon t-shirt. The EKU Student Government Association will be checking in students for E-Ranks and giving out prizes at halftime.

There will be plenty of performances by the Marching Colonels, EKU Dance Team and EKU Cheerleaders throughout the game.

Fireworks will be on display before and after the game. Finally, a student will have a chance to win free Papa John's for a year during an in-game promotion.
Interesting to note that the Robert Morris Head Coach is former New York Jets Head Coach Joe Walton.
Preview of the intro video that will be shown before the game tomorrow on the new scoreboard...

Walt Longmire Wrote:Preview of the intro video that will be shown before the game tomorrow on the new scoreboard...

WOW! That video is epic!
[Image:

]
I miss going to EKU football games. I hope Colonels win big.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
M'boroYellowJacket Wrote:WOW! That video is epic!

That's just the preview, the actual video will be even longer.
eku by 15
Awesome.Hope Eastern wins this one big.
This game can be seen live on the internet at the following link.

http://www.ovcdigitalnetwork.com/showcase/
28-6 Colonels at the half. GO COLONELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
38-6 EKU 4th quarter!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
38-6 Final