Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK vs. UL - Moved to Season Finale
I like the move and it puts this game right up there with Florida-Florida State, South Carolina-Clemson, Georgia-Georgia Tech
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This presents a much better chance for the Cats to get the win over the cards and possibly knock them out of a big time bowl game.
The annual rivalry game between Louisville and Kentucky will move to the final week of the regular season beginning in 2014, the schools announced Wednesday.

Though Louisville athletic director Tom Jurich prefers the teams to continue to play at the start of the season, the decision was made at the request of both the SEC and ACC, which the Cardinals will join in 2014.

SEC blog

ESPN.com's Chris Low and Edward Aschoff write about all things SEC football in the conference blog.

More:
• Blog network: College Football Nation

"I have been a huge proponent that the game should be played as the first game every year," Jurich said in a statement. "I'm disappointed that it will not be our opening game in the future, but most importantly, we will continue to play the game. We'll support the move at the request of both conferences, and we are very excited about our future in the ACC. I'm sure that fans across the commonwealth will be pleased to see the series continue."

When the series was renewed in 1994 after a 70-year break, the game was played to open the season for 12 of the next 13 years. This year, the two teams meet Sept. 14 in Lexington.

Next season, they will play on Nov. 29, 2014.

"There's great excitement surrounding Louisville's move into the ACC, and we look forward to when they are able to compete as conference members," ACC commissioner John Swofford said in a statement. "The storied rivalry between Louisville and Kentucky is an important part of the tradition and history of both institutions, and we appreciate being able to showcase that game on the final weekend of the season along with the other interconference rivalries between the ACC and SEC."

The late-season shift will increase to four the number of ACC versus SEC intrastate rivalry matchups on the final weekend of the regular season, joining Florida State-Florida, Georgia Tech-Georgia and Clemson-South Carolina.

Kentucky holds a 14-11 advantage in the series, but the Cardinals have an 11-8 edge since the series renewal in 1994.
Love it.

As BelfryPride mentioned, most college football rivalries happen at the end of the season and UK/UL should be included with the likes of those games.
I think it will make a better game because both teams will\should be playing at their prime and I think we will see a better product on the field because of it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Love it go Big Blue
I'm gonna miss closing with Tennessee though.
Why? UK has beaten UT one time in twenty five years. And probably won't win another for awhile against them. As for giving UK a better chance to win? Like U of L won't be better by the last game too? Barring injuries...they both should be. I like the game at the bottom. It's rivalry week...with two in state rivals. Good move. Also, just because UK might win...doesn't mean U of L gets knocked out of a bowl game. U of L should compete in the ACC and the move there is a very good one for the Cards. In every sport.