Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whitley and Hazard Scrimmage report
Varsity had two series of 10 plays and hazard scored twice to Whitney's once.
Jv had two series and Whitley scored once to hazards zero.
Then the varsities played two 12 minute quarters were Whitley scored 3 times to hazards two times.

Hazard fumbled two times and Whitley had a turnover on down and a interception..

My opinion on this scrimmages both teams are going to very good.
Hazard needs to limit turnovers and not give up easy plays.
Whitley I didn't see too much they really need to work on besides tackling. O-line was very solid and d-line as well.
Crucify me for this but this is what I saw, Whitley looks big but Hazard played more physical up front the whole night. Other than Harlan county this will be the most physical team Whitley will see. Good test for Hazard too, Whitley is a class act 5A school that is always solid, and it speaks volumes that Hazard was able to not only make it competitive but show that they may have what it takes to clinch the east side of the bracket come playoff time for another showdown with Mayfield or Beechwood. Goodluck to both teams this season, I'll be watching both again.
Will be interesting to compare and contrast the Whitley scrimmage to the Belfry scrimmage next week. Sounds like the Bulldogs may be flying under the radar a bit. When they played Belfry 7 on 7 I was told that Hazard had a couple super impressive looking athletes at WR. The kind you typically don't see too often at the 1A level.
bac2369 Wrote:Varsity had two series of 10 plays and hazard scored twice to Whitney's once.
Jv had two series and Whitley scored once to hazards zero.
Then the varsities played two 12 minute quarters were Whitley scored 3 times to hazards two times.

Hazard fumbled two times and Whitley had a turnover on down and a interception..

My opinion on this scrimmages both teams are going to very good.
Hazard needs to limit turnovers and not give up easy plays.
Whitley I didn't see too much they really need to work on besides tackling. O-line was very solid and d-line as well.

Thanks for the update.
I wish i could have went tonight.
Ill be in Morristown next weekend to watch the season opener.

I had stated in the other thread what i heard, and it doesnt seem to far off.
From what i understand both teams look more polished than expected, which is a good thing. As expected Whitleys defense is the biggest question mark, but Whitley wont see many other offenses like Hazards this year. My brother said HZ had one receiver that was really good. A jimmy dykes "hard to guard" if you will.

Overall, it was pretty much Whitley by a score. I wasnt there, so im not sure how much this would translate to a real game, but i would assume both teams werent showing much.

Bac, how did Whitleys option look? It took them to long to get it polished last year in order to be effective against better teams like HC. If the counts and motions are on time, it really helps the flow of things.
Also, did Whitley throw at all?
Ysidro played with a tore labrum in his shoulder all season last year and it really hindered our passing game. It'd be nice to see a few play actions here and there.
Option game was fair. As the scrimmage went on in the timed portion was good.. But the receiver on the right side needs to keep his hands closer together or there will be a lot of plays brought back. Whitley has the perfect run to pass ratio to keep teams honest.
^
A lot of people will be surprised how much Whitley will throw the ball this year.
IMO, if they want to challenge HC for distirct, they'll have to throw the ball.
I think this is very encouraging for the Colonel fans as well as the Hazard fans.

Hazard will not see many rushing attacks as complex as Whitley's. Hazard may only be 1A but they are well coached and VERY talented.

It sounds like the young pups on the Whitley offensive line are coming along nicely. They are having to replace all but one offensive lineman from last year, so the fact that they ran the ball well is good.

Sounds like two solid programs working out the kinks and getting ready for the regular season.

Any injuries for either team during the scrimmage?

Who were the standouts for both teams.
Both teams looked pretty good out there today.

I don't know if I agree with the poster above that said Hazard was more physical up-front. It looked like both teams played hard up front but I would definitely give Whitley's O-Line the advantage over Hazard's D-Line. Once they got rolling in that second quarter they seemed to be able to stand up Hazard's defenders pretty easy.

I think Hazard's O-Line held their own out there, though. That had a couple of bad plays but everything else looked great. They were well on their way to scoring on both of those drives that ended in fumbles.

Who is the #11 RB for Hazard? I don't remember him from last year for some reason. He was cracking some of those linebacker's skulls.
Brandon jones !!!
^Brandon jones but will be #8
Great game by both teams. Both will have impressive seasons. Stand outs for Whitley County numbers 10, 24, 33, 12 and an offensive linemen that stood out was number 51 had some really impressive blocks tonight very physical! Final score Whitley 21 Hazard 13
good physical line play for both teams.Whitley has more work to do on pass defense.
Sounds like the little puppies held their own with the mighty 5A Colonels.
Which kid started at Qb for hazard in the scrimmage? I know one of the kids had a beautiful pass to the end zone but was about 2 yards out of bounds.
FootballAdiction Wrote:Great game by both teams. Both will have impressive seasons. Stand outs for Whitley County numbers 10, 24, 33, 12 and an offensive linemen that stood out was number 51 had some really impressive blocks tonight very physical! Final score Whitley 21 Hazard 13

You have a senior, junior, soph, and frosh listed.
^
Who wears 12 and 51 for the Colonels.

After talking to some fans that were there, they seemed to be encouraged by the play of the younger kids. They also said the line got better as the scrimmage progressed.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:You have a senior, junior, soph, and frosh listed.

33 a junior?
BriarCreekBrave Wrote:^

After talking to some fans that were there, they seemed to be encouraged by the play of the younger kids. They also said the line got better as the scrimmage progressed.

12 is Luke Woods. Sophomore. He was the QB on that eighth grade team that played BG in the state championship, with Mills in the backfield. That will be a REALLY good class if they all stick together.
Kid has a cannon for an arm. I really thought there was a chance that hed be moved to QB this year and Ysidro would be in the backfield with Mills and Hooper, but Ysidro has grown what seems like a foot since he was a frosh and starting QB then. He could very well be a heck of a passer because his shoulder is healed now.

51 is Vanderpool I believe. Senior Lineman. Hardnose kid. Should be one of the best weve got up front this year, if not the best. Lawson is also a good lineman.

From all i hear, the line play looks much better. It was my biggest concern, along with defense. If our line has improved a lot, then we may have a chance. Its where we got whipped against HC last year.
Yogibear Wrote:33 a junior?

33 is Austin Hooper. Senior fullback.
Whitley offense has always relied on the fullback more than any other position, maybe even more than the QB at times.
Hes not as big as some of the past fullbacks like Bryant and Bramlett, but hes still a big strong kid. I think hes closer to being a Powers type player that Whitley had in 08. Much more on the speed than the previous two.
It takes a lot to be a FB in Whitleys offense, and hes one of the very few that can do it. If he stays healthy, Whitley offense could be very good.
Most of the time, the FB gets just as many touches and yards as the HB's.

This team only has around 10 seniors.
Around 13-14 juniors, same with sophomores.

Most of the Sophs got playing time as frosh, so next year Whitley will be loaded with upperclassmen that have a lot of experience.
Whitley have the potential to be very good with the work they are doing. If hot, they can put together a solid 6 or 7 win season. Ysidro is a stud. Mills is a freak athlete and an above average line. They have the talent.
I disagree with some post on here. I do believe Simon is a good lineman, but 69 Brandon Lawson I do believe is our best starting lineman.
BriarCreekBrave Wrote:^

5a vs 1a :biglmao: what happen to Whitley in this game against a 1a team tell me a lot:lmao:
I heard hooper didn't get any time at MLB last night. Anyone know why?
They may be 1a, but from what I heard they are one of the best in the state. Based on the rankings on this website they are number 3.
I'll go ahead and say it now to have it on record. Ysidro will have a monster year. He is a stud
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Also, did Whitley throw at all?
Ysidro played with a tore labrum in his shoulder all season last year and it really hindered our passing game. It'd be nice to see a few play actions here and there.

RunItUpTheGut Wrote:12 is Luke Woods. Sophomore. He was the QB on that eighth grade team that played BG in the state championship, with Mills in the backfield. That will be a REALLY good class if they all stick together.
Kid has a cannon for an arm. I really thought there was a chance that hed be moved to QB this year and Ysidro would be in the backfield with Mills and Hooper, but Ysidro has grown what seems like a foot since he was a frosh and starting QB then. He could very well be a heck of a passer because his shoulder is healed now.

51 is Vanderpool I believe. Senior Lineman. Hardnose kid. Should be one of the best weve got up front this year, if not the best. Lawson is also a good lineman.

From all i hear, the line play looks much better. It was my biggest concern, along with defense. If our line has improved a lot, then we may have a chance. Its where we got whipped against HC last year.
The #51 is simon vanderpool not one of the vanover twins
PETE THE GURU Wrote:The #51 is simon vanderpool not one of the vanover twins

I didnt mean to word it like that.
I know hes different. Ill change my post to make more sense.
64SUR Wrote:5a vs 1a :biglmao: what happen to Whitley in this game against a 1a team tell me a lot:lmao:

:biglmao:

Oxymoron----when your the yellowjackets but have an orange bee as you mascot.
Good to see Ysidro recovered. What were his numbers against Hazard. Did he throw it other than third and long.