Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coaches that have become principals and administrators
Would like for people to list coaches just not football but all coaches that have went on to become school administrators
It would be nearly impossible to list even 10% of the coaches who have.
That number is very high.
John Myers is the Head coach at Russellville and the HS Principal
Tim Saylor, former Head Coach of the powerhouse Cumberland Redskins teams in the early 1980's (he moved on to James A. Cawood after his run in Cumberland I think) has been Superintendent of Harlan County Schools for years now. He is one heckuva football coach.
Coach Deaton from Corbin went on to be a principal and maybe a super at Somerset and Campbellsville
Larry Sparks Superintendent Leslie Co was head basketball coach at Owsley Co and Leslie Co.

Tony Sergent Superintendent Letcher Co was Whitesburg head football coach.
Mike Clark was head basketball coach at Shelby County and is now an assistant principal at Collins.
T1up Wrote:Coach Deaton from Corbin went on to be a principal and maybe a super at Somerset and Campbellsville
Deaton was Principal at Pulaski County and I think also at Cambellsville...his son played football at Somerset.
Coach Jeff "Slick" Perkins was a longtime Asst Coach then Head Coach at Somerset before stepping down as HC to become Asst Principal. He was later named Principal and retired from that position.
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:John Myers is the Head coach at Russellville and the HS Principal

Correct me if im wrong, but isnt that illegal?
I didnt think a high school administrator could be a high school coach.
I know of several coaches in this area that left coaching jobs because they got a job as principal or asst principal and wasnt allowed to coach. To my knowledge, they cant even be assistants.
I think that it;s up to the school district on that

Kyle Lively coached Jackson City and was just hired as interim Super
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Correct me if im wrong, but isnt that illegal?
I know of several coaches in this area that left coaching jobs because they got a job as principal or asst principal and wasnt allowed to coach. To my knowledge, they cant even be assistants.

When I was in high school, we had two different assistant coaches that were assistant principals. First one left to work in central office for the district. His replacement took his role as assistant principal and assistant coach, he left his head coach job at another school to take an assistant coach job at my school. I had always heard that head coaches could not be administrators. Hope this helps.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
It's a local decision. Most don't want coaches to do both since both are extremely time consuming

Run

I got curious and went to RHS site and he is no longer the principal, maybe he was just interim. I did see where he was the head football coach and principal as recent as 2011. He is now the schools transportation director
Good info guys.

I guess its just common place around here for the boards to not allow there coaches to be principals.

For example, Corbin girls basketball coach Parsons quit to take the middle school principal job, and in the paper it stated thats the reason why. I also remember Al Ysidro (Austins dad, current QB) was an assistant coach under Campbell for over 15 years, and assistant to Black a year or two before he had to step down because he took the assistant principal job. Another one off the top of my head is Pennington at Lynn Camp, who was the head bball coach, and stepped down to be principal at the high school.

To be honest, i think its a good thing on the schools part, and should be a statewide rule. The head honcho shouldnt also be the head coach and deciding if his star player should play even after bad grades. It would cause a major mess IMO. And like other said, being a principal at a high school is a very time consuming, and the time should be devoted to education, so i can see why schools choose to do it.
Collins principal John Leeper was the head boys basketball coach at Bullitt Central.