Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brad Stevens hired as Celtics new head coach
Brad Stevens, head coach of the Butler University men's basketball team, today announced his acceptance of the head coach position of the Boston Celtics.

http://www.butlersports.com/sports/m-bas...0703gp8h85
GREAT hire.
Awesome, awesome hire!!!
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Rick pitino hiring all over again. Year before an amazing prospect enters the draft(Duncan,Wiggins) and a Celtic team in rebuild mode. Rondo will be gone by the trade deadline. If this is a failure or success depends on if the celtics get wiggins or randle.
Bad move IMO. Stevens will be back in college in 3 years.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Celtics are still going to be my favorite team no matter what but, I was personally hoping to see Antoine Walker get the job.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
This.blows.my.mind.
6 year, $22 Mil is what Stevens is getting
Hard to turn down that kind of money.
This is a great opportunity for Stevens. He is a major coaching talent but coaching in the NBA is a different ball game than coaching at a small university. He won't find a better opportunity than the one that awaits him in Boston. I don't think that he would have had much of a shot at success if he had been handed a veteran team.
Jarons Wrote:Bad move IMO. Stevens will be back in college in 3 years.

Bad move for him? It's a win win for him. Get an opportunity to coach in the league,, make millions. If doesn't work out in 3-5 year's,, then back to college at Duke,, Indiana,, etc with a promotion to any college he wants over what he had at Butler.. Guy has won more games in the past 6 years than any college coach..

Mix1...
One major difference between Coach Cal, Pitino and Stevens is that Stevens doesn't have near the ego of neither of the other coaches. And he will be concentrating more on the coaching aspect of the job than the front office stuff, I think that will help him with his focus being on the players and not so much the peripheral stuff. Of course big issue is how they fill the roster up with quality players, but I think he might be in a situation, that given enough time, he can succeed in.
Do I blame him? Heck no! If you say you woulnt take the money you lied or a complete idiot. Do I think it was a smart move? Heck no! Financially it was but besides that it isnt. He is a college coach. There is a big difference in college and nba Coaches. The greatest college coaches often cant coach in the NBA and NBA greats couldnt coach college. Brad will be back at the collegiate level soon.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
He couldn't turn the offer down...

but IMO the best way to go hire an NBA Head Coach is to hire someone who is in the NBA.

It's just a different game, with different athletes and it's played differently.

If Stevens gets a leash that lasts a few years he could make it happen, but he won't get that. They will start of slow, Rondo will ask for a trade and all hell will break loose.

It's one thing to win in college without the talent that other programs have, but try competing with the Heat in the Eastern Conference with the talent Stevens will have.
zaga_fan Wrote:He couldn't turn the offer down...

but IMO the best way to go hire an NBA Head Coach is to hire someone who is in the NBA.

It's just a different game, with different athletes and it's played differently.

If Stevens gets a leash that lasts a few years he could make it happen, but he won't get that. They will start of slow, Rondo will ask for a trade and all hell will break loose.

It's one thing to win in college without the talent that other programs have, but try competing with the Heat in the Eastern Conference with the talent Stevens will have.

He doesn't need talent.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:He doesn't need talent.

:dudecomeon:
IMO, Smart move, it's clear that Boston is rebuilding, what better way to start then with a great young coach.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
zaga_fan Wrote::dudecomeon:

Best x's and o's guy in the game :biglmao:
I really like this move by Boston...Stevens is one of the good guys in basketball.
Could be good, could be bad. I think things will turn around though. Guess we will see. Hopefully it isn't like when the Celtics hired Pitino. As much respect I have for Rick, he could not coach at the Pro level. Neither could Cal.