Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Doc Rivers to LA Clippers?
The Los Angeles Clippers have not formally requested permission to interview Celtics coach Doc Rivers in the wake of widespread reports about Rivers' potential departure from Boston, but there is strong mutual interest between the parties, according to sources close to the situation.

Sources told ESPN.com on Thursday that Rivers is highly intrigued by the idea of coaching the Clippers in the event that he and the Celtics part company after nine seasons together and one championship in 2008. Sources say the Clippers, meanwhile, would immediately vault Rivers to the top of their list if he became available as they continue a coaching search that, to this point, has focused on Brian Shaw, Byron Scott and Lionel Hollins.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story...ources-say
There are going to be Doc Rivers stories all off season. I could expect every team in the NBA will request to talk to Doc, but Doc will either be coaching the Celtics, or doing NBA on ESPN next season. He is not going to another team.
^ Celtics have said that as long as he's under contract he will not coach for anyone other than the Celtics

He's gone after next year, that's the only guarantee
^ I did not know that. So only the first three were of five were guaranteed? Doesn't that typically give the team the out, not the coach? Who knows in today's broken contracts, nothing is ever iron clad anymore. If there are lawyers, there are loopholes.
Stardust Wrote:^ I did not know that. So only the first three were of five were guaranteed? Doesn't that typically give the team the out, not the coach? Who knows in today's broken contracts, nothing is ever iron clad anymore. If there are lawyers, there are loopholes.

I may be wrong on the year thing...
but I do know the Celtics are not going to let him coach anywhere else while he is under contract, and rightfully so.

A contract is binding both ways, and as much as I respect Doc, I don't think he has the right to say he wants to leave just because "he's ready for a change".

Heck, there may be a team desperate enough to buy out his contract.
or half of it and he buy the rest.
Went back and read up on it again...
he's signed through 2016 and he signed a no-compete that stops him from coaching or speaking with other teams.

According to CBS Sports, compensating for the no-compete doesn't have to be all in cash, Ainge can ask for draft picks or players in exchange for letting Rivers out of the contract.
It is picking up some steam.

Possible that K.G & Paul Pierce could be joining him too.
Talks of a trade between LA and Boston include Rivers...
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Talks of a trade between LA and Boston include Rivers...

Yep, that's what I was reading was a possibility on CBS.

Evidently the Heat traded a draft pick and a million bucks to get Pat Riley from the Knicks back in the 90s.

No idea why I don't remember that.
Read on ESPN that the Clippers are talking to the Lakers about a sign-n-trade for Dwight Howard....Clippers would send Lakers Blake Griffin and Eric Bledsoe.....

No way would I ever consider that trade...

The Clippers, sources said, are willing to surrender cash and multiple draft picks to secure Rivers' services and offer young center DeAndre Jordan as the primary piece in a deal in exchange for Garnett.

But sources said Saturday the Clippers, at present, are refusing to include the highly coveted Bledsoe with Jordan in the same trade in hopes of keeping Bledsoe for a separate transaction.

Sources say the Clippers want to keep open the option that they could package Bledsoe with Griffin in a sign-and-trade offer for Howard after the Lakers' center becomes a free agent on July 1. ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard reported Friday that Howard and Clippers star Chris Paul have been in consistent contact in recent weeks in hopes of landing on the same team via free agency.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/939030...ng-sources
No way the Lakers would do that, not for the Clippers.
J-Rod Wrote:No way the Lakers would do that, not for the Clippers.

Click on the ESPN link I posted and read at the top. Clippers are high for even considering that trade. I mean really? Your considering trading 2 of your prized possessions for a whine bag who throws fits if he doesn't get his way
Strikeout King Wrote:Click on the ESPN link I posted and read at the top. Clippers are high for even considering that trade. I mean really? Your considering trading 2 of your prized possessions for a whine bag who throws fits if he doesn't get his way

Eric Bledsoe is NOT a "prized possession" to the Clippers.

With Paul, Billups (pending a re-sign) and Crawford on the roster already - he may be the most expendable option they have that has any significant trade value.

He's due a raise this year (not good for the Clippers) and he's in the last year of his contract (good for whomever they trade him to).

Bledsoe would be worth more to the Lakers than he would be with most other teams. They are screaming for an athletic PG that can play any sort of defense.

and whether or not people think Howard is a "whine bag" - he is still the most sought after center in the league.

This would be a deal that the Lakers would be licking their chops at. They would be freeing up LOADS of money (by loads I mean around 10 million), they would get another big man and Gasol simply plays better at center IMO AND they would pick up that much needed PG that will probably have to play a lot because no way Nash and Blake both stay healthy all year.

I haven't looked at the Clips full list of salaries, but I don't know of too many teams that can take a 10 million dollar hit just like that.
DH also becomes a UFA on July 1st, so I don't know that he would agree to a sign and trade with the Clips.

He would still stay in a big market and he would be on a good team with the best PG in the league. If the Clippers could land Doc Rivers and a couple of his players follow - I wouldn't see Dwight Howard turning that opportunity down, but his agent has stated multiple times that they are going to test the free agent market.
zaga_fan Wrote:Eric Bledsoe is NOT a "prized possession" to the Clippers.

With Paul, Billups (pending a re-sign) and Crawford on the roster already - he may be the most expendable option they have that has any significant trade value.

He's due a raise this year (not good for the Clippers) and he's in the last year of his contract (good for whomever they trade him to).

Bledsoe would be worth more to the Lakers than he would be with most other teams. They are screaming for an athletic PG that can play any sort of defense.

and whether or not people think Howard is a "whine bag" - he is still the most sought after center in the league.

This would be a deal that the Lakers would be licking their chops at. They would be freeing up LOADS of money (by loads I mean around 10 million), they would get another big man and Gasol simply plays better at center IMO AND they would pick up that much needed PG that will probably have to play a lot because no way Nash and Blake both stay healthy all year.

I haven't looked at the Clips full list of salaries, but I don't know of too many teams that can take a 10 million dollar hit just like that.

Howard is already making $20M. Griffin and Bledsoe only represent -$10M. Chris Paul is a Free Agent who just made $17M. The only way this works for the Clippers is to whipe their roster clean. Do that, and what do they have? Two Superstars with no bench and a losing record!
Stardust Wrote:Howard is already making $20M. Griffin and Bledsoe only represent -$10M. Chris Paul is a Free Agent who just made $17M. The only way this works for the Clippers is to whipe their roster clean. Do that, and what do they have? Two Superstars with no bench and a losing record!

Like I said, the Lakers would be licking their chops at that deal lol

If they're looking to trade players for Doc Rivers - they could free up some salary there - but no way you trade 10 million worth of salary for a coach, unless you can get a Dwight Howard when all is said and done.

I think there is just too many moving parts for this deal to be feasible.
They free up an additional $2Mil with the retirement of Grant Hill.
I don't know how, but evidently DeAndre Jordan is making $10Mil a year...
He's mentioned in the deal with Doc Rivers, but if they get Garnett in the swap then the Clips would take another $1Mil dollar hit on that.

Lamar Odom is a FA that made $8Mil last year - they'd pretty much have to let him go.

Also, evidently when Griffin signed his extension he ended up making bank, he's do $17Mil next year, so if you go by next year's salaries the Griffin/Bledsoe for Howard trade is even.

The only way they can afford to even keep Griffin is to let go of Odom and Billups. Then getting rid of Bledsoe doesn't make good basketball sense.

They have some scrandies on the bench that making less than $500k that they may have to re-sign just to keep the small salaries. Then they would have to replace the production they got from Billups and Odom via free agency.

Derek Fisher, Nate Robinson or Keith Bogans could be picked up cheap to replace Billups.
I don't know who else you could pick up cheap to replace Odom.

I'm tired of looking at contract numbers lol
zaga_fan Wrote:Eric Bledsoe is NOT a "prized possession" to the Clippers.

He's still one of their best young players. I wouldn't even consider this if I'm the Clippers ownership
Strikeout King Wrote:He's still one of their best young players. I wouldn't even consider this if I'm the Clippers ownership

Dwight Howard, Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce >>> Eric Bledsoe, Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan
I wasn't talking about KG and PP. I was talking about Howard and Griffin. Howard is a whine bag who throws fits if he doesn't get his way, he's a good player but he whines and cries...Orlando and LA
Strikeout King Wrote:I wasn't talking about KG and PP. I was talking about Howard and Griffin. Howard is a whine bag who throws fits if he doesn't get his way, he's a good player but he whines and cries...Orlando and LA

Well...

Dwight Howard > Blake Griffin

Dwight Howard is the most sought after center in the league.

Sure Blake Griffin dunks on everyone, but he averaged 18 and 8 last year.
Dwight Howard averaged 17 and 12 coming off of back surgery and still was never really at 100%.

Whining is a problem, but production is a necessity, and Dwight Howard produces more than Blake Griffin does.

In the words of Dr J, "This game is and always will be about buckets"
This could be a massive three team trade or a trade may not even happen.
It seems in the nba, if everyone doesnt feel like there getting the best deal, then it just doesnt happen.

What about this for a scenario....

Clippers get Doc River, Paul Pierce, and Kevin Garnett.
Lakers get Eric Bledsoe and Blake Griffin.
Celtics get Dwight Howard

Talk about a mess.