Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spring Ball in Pulaski County
Does anyone care to give any updates on how spring ball is going/went at Pulaski, SW, and Somerset. I would love to hear the number of kids out at each school for the spring. Thanks and have a good day
Not sure on PC or SWHS, but Somerset starts spring practice this Monday.
Jumpers begin spring ball with a defensive practice on Monday 4/29. Somerset has had a great off season in the weight room. Multiple skill kids setting personal records/school records in track & field (Cam Chevy and Will Lange in particular). Somerset Offensive lineman Kagen Skidmore will likely have visitors from the University of Kentucky at spring practice during the coming weeks, Coach Brown and Coach Schlarman (UK O-Line) like Kagen and he has had multiple successful camp trips during the off season. With baseball and track going on the numbers will likely be in the 30's for Somerset during spring ball, with a full roster going into the fall expect that to jump into the mid 50's to low 60's when a freshman class is added and all the athletes are preparing for one sport. In two weeks we should have a better idea as to what the Jumpers need to improve in the next 3 months.
For those interested here is an interview with Skidmore after winning the offensive line mvp at the NUC 5* challenge. Skid appears to have added about 20 lbs in the weight room during the off season. Big physical kid. (might have to cut and paste for the link to work)

what say you PC or SW
JumperPride1 Wrote:Jumpers begin spring ball with a defensive practice on Monday 4/29. Somerset has had a great off season in the weight room. Multiple skill kids setting personal records/school records in track & field (Cam Chevy and Will Lange in particular). Somerset Offensive lineman Kagen Skidmore will likely have visitors from the University of Kentucky at spring practice during the coming weeks, Coach Brown and Coach Schlarman (UK O-Line) like Kagen and he has had multiple successful camp trips during the off season. With baseball and track going on the numbers will likely be in the 30's for Somerset during spring ball, with a full roster going into the fall expect that to jump into the mid 50's to low 60's when a freshman class is added and all the athletes are preparing for one sport. In two weeks we should have a better idea as to what the Jumpers need to improve in the next 3 months.

Cam just placed 4th in the 100m Eastern relays only behind James quick and two two other kids from out of state. Will finished 9 in the 200 and only 3 of the kids in front of him were from Kentucky including Quick.. Somerset will be scary fast at the skilled positions this year
When did Southwestern have their spring ball?
JumperPride1 Wrote:Jumpers begin spring ball with a defensive practice on Monday 4/29. Somerset has had a great off season in the weight room. Multiple skill kids setting personal records/school records in track & field (Cam Chevy and Will Lange in particular). Somerset Offensive lineman Kagen Skidmore will likely have visitors from the University of Kentucky at spring practice during the coming weeks, Coach Brown and Coach Schlarman (UK O-Line) like Kagen and he has had multiple successful camp trips during the off season. With baseball and track going on the numbers will likely be in the 30's for Somerset during spring ball, with a full roster going into the fall expect that to jump into the mid 50's to low 60's when a freshman class is added and all the athletes are preparing for one sport. In two weeks we should have a better idea as to what the Jumpers need to improve in the next 3 months.

Thanks for the in depth response, that is exactly what I was looking for. I guess we have no takers from the county schools.
2ndandshort Wrote:Thanks for the in depth response, that is exactly what I was looking for. I guess we have no takers from the county schools.

I haven't been keeping up with it myself but, word I got from PC is that they had between 28-30 for Spring Ball. 10 were out because of baseball and there are a few still dealing with injuries. Didn't get a lot of details but, I was told that they looked really good. Apparently the offseason lifting program was phenomenal, should be MUCH stronger than last year and there will be 12-15 incoming freshman players.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
A little off subject here but does anyone know where Floyd Fannin will be attending high school? Is he going to Somerset, Pulaski County, or Southwestern Pulaski? Just wondering if he will be to suit up against Belfry next year or not.
floyd will be a warrior.
SWHS ran low mid 30s for spring ball had 8 in baseball. . Had high day of 41 I think. Some nice looking skill kids. Will be very young upfront. Look pretty quick overall not a lot of size.
Coach Hines does a outstanding job at PC!
Oldbutfat Wrote:floyd will be a warrior.
SWHS ran low mid 30s for spring ball had 8 in baseball. . Had high day of 41 I think. Some nice looking skill kids. Will be very young upfront. Look pretty quick overall not a lot of size.

not a lot of size in 5a football does not usually translate well..
Size is a concern. The teams they play early are very big. That could create so issues.
Buffalo Bildos Wrote:not a lot of size in 5a football does not usually translate well..

I am sure coach stephens and his crew have worked them hard in the weight room this past off season. Not making the playoffs should have given them an ample amount of time to get casey co strong.
2ndandshort Wrote:I am sure coach stephens and his crew have worked them hard in the weight room this past off season. Not making the playoffs should have given them an ample amount of time to get casey co strong.
Yes they need to make some gains in weight room. I have seen the record board at southwestern looks like they have never really had a great weight program.
Watched Somerset one day last week. Looked real fast. I think the Off. will be much improved and the Def. can be very good. Skill prople were outstanding and the Coaching Staff will have line ready to play. Looking fwd to a good year.
Oldbutfat Wrote:Yes they need to make some gains in weight room. I have seen the record board at southwestern looks like they have never really had a great weight program.

thats a little surprising considering they have had a fair amount of success in the past, not to mention their fair share of players moving on to the next level. we probably shouldn't go there though. they are moving forward right?
2nd u said something about strength. I simply stated a fact. Team record in bench, squat and dead have all been set last two lift a thons. They have had lot kids move on. Good tradition. Fair amount of success is accurate in regular season. I would say playoff success is much less than fair. Agreed?
School is almost over and the pulaski co schools are just having spring practice?
Pulaski was done before April. Southwestern at end of April.
Oldbutfat Wrote:2nd u said something about strength. I simply stated a fact. Team record in bench, squat and dead have all been set last two lift a thons. They have had lot kids move on. Good tradition. Fair amount of success is accurate in regular season. I would say playoff success is much less than fair. Agreed?

Sounds like you know a lot more about it than me. Hopefully setting all those weight room records will produce more than 3 wins this year.
I know because I went and watched. It's open to people to come to lift a thon.