Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KHSAA over Middle Schools
fb fan Wrote:Guess we won't see a whole team of 3rd year middle school 15yr. olds beating the snot out of a bunch of 13-14 yr. olds as much in the future. LOL

It will still be 15 year olds beating the snot out of 13-14 year olds. They just wont be in middle school for 3 years or they will sit out 1 year....
True, will just make it a little harder I guess.
CCRebels Wrote:Students repeating a grade in grades Six (6) through Eight (8)
Beginning with the 2014-2015 school year, any student repeating a grade for any reason in grades 6-8 will be ineligible to participate in middle school interscholastic athletics; and
During the 2013-2014 school year, the KHSAA is to ensure that all forms of communication efforts are utilized to inform the middle schools in the state of this coming restriction.

http://khsaa.org/42313-changes-approved-...athletics/
CCRebels, the link you supplied was the proposed KAR dated in April of this year. At the final public comment meeting in September of this year the KHSAA decided to remove the language for the final KAR. They will refer to the Middle School Advisory Committee that the KAR requires to be created. Thanks
CCRebels Wrote:Students repeating a grade in grades Six (6) through Eight (8)
Beginning with the 2014-2015 school year, any student repeating a grade for any reason in grades 6-8 will be ineligible to participate in middle school interscholastic athletics; and
During the 2013-2014 school year, the KHSAA is to ensure that all forms of communication efforts are utilized to inform the middle schools in the state of this coming restriction.

http://khsaa.org/42313-changes-approved-...athletics/

This was the original language to the KAR. If you will notice it is dated in April. At the public comment meeting in September it was decided to remove the language regarding "not eligible if repeating a grade" due to issues raised in regards to students with disabilities. The KHSAA felt it would be best to refer it at a later date to the Middle School Advisory Council created by this KAR to possibly take up the issue at a later date. Thanks
It will get bigger and better. I hope all public schools get in and we could play the final games @ UK or UL field. That would be what the KMSF should shoot for
As for the "proposed rules" in april, it says plainly on the khsaa page, "Changes to KHSAA rules approved by KBE". But even so in the KHSAA bylaws, the bylaws are pretty plain stated that grades 4-12 players can not play during the hold back year. Penalty for violating this rule the player will lose a year of eligibility in High School. This rule was in affect for the 2013-14 season as well. yes they are adding to the rule with exception of an IEP or ARC due to a disability- which does not include but a very very small percentage of hold backs. Also they have added that if a school promotes a student from 8th grade their 4 year clock starts. In other words if a parent hold a student back even if he is achedemically promoted by the school then they will lose one year of eligbility in high school. So pretty much if you want to hold a kid back now, do it before 4th grade. Now will some teams try and do this and risk hurting all the players on the team to benifit a few, i'm sure. Will they get caught? we will have to wait and see. Because the rules for both KHSAA and KYMSFA are pretty plain, unless its for a disablity (which is hard to get and chances are they wouldn't be playing football) then you can not play during a hold back year.

Sec. 2) INELIGIBILITY FOR REPEATING STUDENTS
a) A student having been enrolled in the fourth (4th) grade or
in any grade through twelfth (12th) shall not be eligible for
interscholastic athletics at the high school level (grades 9
through 12) for more than a total of one (1) year in each grade
and applicable eligibility shall begin in the fi rst year enrolled in
that grade.
b) A student repeating a grade for any reason is ineligible to
participate in interscholastic athletics at the high school level
(grades 9 through 12) during the second year in that grade. The
penalty for violation of this rule shall be the loss of one of the
four years

Case BL-4-2- Why is there a requirement that a student
be eligible only one year in each grade?
Holding a student back and allowing the student to practice or
play sports is prohibited and goes against the basic principles
of fair play. The repeating student at any level is prohibited from
practice or play, and beginning with the first promotion from
grade eight (8), the four-year count of eligibility has begun.
According to OAG82-473 opinion, the promotion and retention
of students in all grades are the direct and sole responsibility
of the Principal through policy developed by the local board of
education.
Case BL-4-3-
CCRebel ---- the Bylaw says that an athlete that is repeating a grade after being promoted to 4th grade may not participate on a high school team with out losing a years eligibility in high school the second year in a grade. They could participate on a middle school team.
Blackwater Wrote:CCRebel ---- the Bylaw says that an athlete that is repeating a grade after being promoted to 4th grade may not participate on a high school team with out losing a years eligibility in high school the second year in a grade. They could participate on a middle school team.

KYMSFA bylaw also says that a player can not play during a holdback year. With KHSAA taking over middle school we fall under their rules and thier bylaw also states no play can play during holdback year
CCRebels Wrote:KYMSFA bylaw also says that a player can not play during a holdback year. With KHSAA taking over middle school we fall under their rules and thier bylaw also states no play can play during holdback year

KHSAA has never let a student repeating a grade compete in HS athletics. If a student repeated 4th grade they could not play HS tennis or golf. ETC ETC
MeangreeN Wrote:This is my take on the khsaa oversight of MS. Some counties have been following HS rules on coaching credentials, forms, training, and holdback rules anyway, this is just a way (in thier collective mind) to even the playing field, and apply safety precautions for the MS schools, athletes, and coaches. I do agree with a point in an earlier post that there should be a couple years for everyone to get up to speed on the changes, to give programs time to change and parents to make decisions. My opinion on the holdback rules are this, my son is one who was facing a year to set out because we are holding him back for academics, but if you as a parent weigh all options and make a decision to holdback for the right reason(s), sports should be a small varible in the decision, IMO academics and well being should top reason(s).
Agree with all except sports being part of the discussion. Academics and childs well being should be the only reasons for holding them back -- doing it for sports should not enter the equation in my opinion. But in the end parents are going to do what they think is right for their kid and if it is within the rules, regardless of the intention of the rule, then that is their right. I keep wondering though, if everyone held their kid back what would happen -- change the rules to allow another year of holdback?
The idea and concept is well intended, but I'm afraid the result will not be as good. The KHSAA is already spread too thin to enforce their rules at the high school level, so now they are going to take on the responsibility of monitoring middle school sports as well. This can't end well.
Even worse is no high school realignment is happening the same year that khsaa takes over ms. Talk about a 5th wheel.
Is anything official on the KHSAA taking over middle school athletics yet? I haven't heard anything for certain on if the rules even passed the discussion phase.
Will schools districts that do not have middle schools have the same regulations as the districts that have middle schools,
I would imagine if a school fields a 6th, 7th, or 8th grade team that plays interscholastic sports then that school will have to abide by those regulations.
Cardfan1 Wrote:I would imagine if a school fields a 6th, 7th, or 8th grade team that plays interscholastic sports then that school will have to abide by those regulations.

Some schools do not play a middle school schedule, play mostly schools in the same school district. I might be wrong but I was thinking these would be hard for the KHSAA to regulate.
That sounds like intramurals and my guess is they would not police those.