Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KJV NKJV OR NIV bibles?
So my wife has a real hard time reading the KJV bible. With all the older English. I was about to buy her a NIV version when I started to read up on it. Apparently a lot of churches think its lucifers bible? Any thoughts on the NIV OR NKJV ?
I have a hard time reading the KJV as well. A good majority of the Churches I know have the KJV, but they mostly use the NIV version. Only a small minority of people believe in the "King James or burn" theory. 99.9% of people read the NIV because of it being easier to retain.

Honestly, I would recommend the New Century Version. It's very, very easy to read - easier than the NIV.
wildcatk23 Wrote:so my wife has a real hard time reading the kjv bible. With all the older english. I was about to buy her a niv version when i started to read up on it. Apparently a lot of churches think its lucifers bible? Any thoughts on the niv or nkjv ?
New American Standard Bible
New American Bible or Revised Standard Version or an old favorite the Douay-Rheims version
It is a matter of personal preference. Not that is doesn't happen but, I've never heard of a church dictating what kind of Bible to carry. To me, the King James is by far the best.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Whichever one speaks to you...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
^ I love books on tapes
Good Gawd son, it's 2013, let her decide which she prefers....

You can download a free APP of every version out there. She can read the First Chapter of Genesis, which carries the most difficult writing style of the entire Bible. I'm positive within 5 minutes of each version, she will find which she prefers.

I grew up with King James Version as my only Bible. I read them all, but settled for the NIV my Sunday tag-a-long.

I am currently reading the American Standard Version on my Kindle Fire, and I LOVE IT! It is probably the most fluid and enjoyable version that I have ever read.
I often use the NIV but I have used many references in my studies for clarity. I usually the read the NIV but if something stumps me I'll reference the Easy to Read Bible or the Good News Bible.

www.biblegateway.com

Is a great site & easy to use for references as it has all versions. Which you can switch back & forth from. Also if you have a smart tablet or phone, the Bible app is a great reference resource.
Stardust Wrote:Good Gawd son, it's 2013, let her decide which she prefers....

You can download a free APP of every version out there. She can read the First Chapter of Genesis, which carries the most difficult writing style of the entire Bible. I'm positive within 5 minutes of each version, she will find which she prefers.

I grew up with King James Version as my only Bible. I read them all, but settled for the NIV my Sunday tag-a-long.

I am currently reading the American Standard Version on my Kindle Fire, and I LOVE IT! It is probably the most fluid and enjoyable version that I have ever read.

Lol she is choosing. Just a church she use to attend was highly against it.
For me, in regular devotional reading I use the NIV. If I am doing a word-for-word, IBS style, sermon or Bible Study prep, I use the RSV or NRSV.

I have always stated however that the best version of the Bible is the one you will read Wink
NASB has always been my go-to Bible

but I have a NLT and that's quickly becoming the most popular Bible of the modern translations.

Don't let anyone tell you the KJV is the ONLY way to go. The KJV is a translation in itself and I think if you're going to read the Bible you should feel the same connection they did with it when they read the KJV so many years ago. You can't do that when you have to read a verse a couple of times to catch what it's saying.
I'm NIV negative folks....

It doesn't matter if The Bible you read is wrote in a languge you've never seen before, if God wants you to learn and study from that verison, He will make sure you understand it.

I prefer the KJV. I love the Red wording.
I prefer the Septuagint. Lol