Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
History Channels "The Bible"
Comes on tonight at 8. Looks interesting
Got it scheduled to record.
Can't miss Amazing Race!!
Wink
So far this has been incredible. I have newfound respect for the history channel
I love the history channel!! I also didn't realize this was a mini series, so I'll record all of them, and find a time when I can watch without interruption.....harder and harder to find that anymore!
Wink
It was biblical pretty close. We enjoyed it and will see it through to the end.
Was it pretty good? How accurate was it?
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:So far this has been incredible. I have newfound respect for the history channel

Watch it all PTF before you give too much respect. I hope it stays on track but experience tells me it won't. Keep us posted.

Not that I disrespect the History Channel, but I'm gonna wait it out and see what kind of reviews it gets. I'm very apprehensive when it comes to these shows, it seems they get you thinking they're on the path of truth, only to start spinning and discrediting. I've tried to watch too many of them, only to end up disappointed in the direction they end up going. It's almost as if they must do their best to cast doubt. We'll see.
^It was more accurate than I thought it would be. Last night's show dealt in part with Abraham being directed by God to sacrifice his son Isaac to offer him up as a burnt offering. The biblical account states that Abraham took two young men along to help with the three day journey. And, that when Mt Moriah came into view, Abraham told the two helpers to remain at that place, until they returned from the mountain. It was there that Abraham laid the burden of fire wood for the burnt offering on his son Isaac and they then went on alone. The TV account left out the part about the two helpers and the three day journey to the mountain. Making it seem as though their home was at the foot of the mountain and, all they had to do was to walk up on the slope. No big deal but, not quite right.

In this manner God tested Abraham. And the account of Abraham's obedience to God was a picture of the crucifixion of Christ. God's own sacrifice of His Son Jesus for the sin of man. God stopped Abraham from going through with the sacrifice of Isaac, though He knew the day was coming in which He would have to see His Son's sacrifice through to the end. The biblical account of Abraham's unquestioned obedience to God proved Abraham, (to Abraham himself, God already knew he would go through with it) and, established the blood line of all Jews and Jesus himself.

Speaking of blood lines, here's something I find to be an interesting fact. When the angel foretold the birth of Isaac to Sarah and Abraham, as was accurately depicted in the series, Sarah and Abraham doubted the word of the angel because Sarah was past her child bearing years. Sarah then talked Abraham into having a child with her handmaid Hagar, who bore Abraham a son named Ishmael. Sarah, to their surprise, then bore Abraham a son, in the actual fulfillment of the angel's prophesy, who they named Isaac according to the promise of God, and as told by the angel. Ishmael was the firstborn of all those of the bloodline we know today as being Arabic. And, Isaac, (who, like Jesus, had his name revealed by an angel with the announcement of his coming birth) was the firstborn of all those of the bloodline we know today as being Jewish. The blood feud that characterizes the relationship between Israel and the Arab World, has been going on at least since the day that Abraham sent Hagar and his son Ishmael out of his house and away from his land.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SKINNYPIG Wrote:Watch it all PTF before you give too much respect. I hope it stays on track but experience tells me it won't. Keep us posted.

Not that I disrespect the History Channel, but I'm gonna wait it out and see what kind of reviews it gets. I'm very apprehensive when it comes to these shows, it seems they get you thinking they're on the path of truth, only to start spinning and discrediting. I've tried to watch too many of them, only to end up disappointed in the direction they end up going. It's almost as if they must do their best to cast doubt. We'll see.

Much of the imagery and detail that one would expect wasn't there. At least they didn't try to say that the place where Moses and the Jews crossed the Red Sea was only ankle deep as I have heard from the so-called experts in times past, LOL. For instance, the biblical account says God caused a strong East wind to blow back the sea and that it blew all night actually making "dry land" for the people to cross over on. Exodus 14:21 (KJV)
21 And Moses stretched out his hand over the sea; and the LORD caused the sea to go back by a strong east wind all that night, and made the sea dry land, and the waters were divided.

In the program, Moses and the people were pinned by Pharoah's army within minutes of their having arrived at the sea shore and, Moses banged his staff down in a couple inches of water and the sea parted. There was a lot of wind and noise associated with their passage through the sea in the program but, it showed everybody getting pretty wet with heavy sea wash. It did show high vertical walls of water though, and the Egyptians were drowned after the Jews were safely passed. And, since I'm nitpicking a little bit, when Moses went before Pharoah in the program, he told him to Let his people go, then it showed the effects of the 10 plagues with Pharoah yelling No, No, No, without the pronouncement of each plague. In the biblical account, God instructed Moses exactly what to say to Pharoah every time he went before him (10 times) and had him say "Thus sayeth the Lord God of Israel, Let my people go" then He described to Moses each plague He was sending, and the consequences for not obeying, for Moses to repeat to Pharoah. Again, not a huge deal but a little disappointing.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ishmaels mother was able to provide for her son. She hit a rock and th water came pouring out. Thus creating one of the rivers that now flow through that country. But I can't remember which one
I'm in love with Tawnya.. hehe..

Tom is not my friend....

if you have any questions send me a p.m.
I watched all of a minute of it before I spotted a discrep...

The scene where Adam and Eve were eating the forbidden fruit in the garden with a snake wrapped around a tree watching them...
snakes had legs at that point in time.

I know it's not a HUGE deal that they screwed that up...

but for once I would like to see someone actually put the time and effort to keep from missing that stuff.

Is it really that hard to read the first few chapters of Genesis before filming a scene based on it?
• good fatch zaga, but as a movie, it would hage created a charefter not recognizable by anything that man knows of today. It would hage added several more minutes to describe, thus I have no issue with them showing what was the end result. Its just like today, people were wondering where the apple was. The bible does not mention an apple. But it was not as much of somethng that would have needed definition versus what would have had to have been explained in the movie to describe a legged snake.

To your point, it was at this time that God said that the serpent will slither on the earth with no legs, eating the dust of the earth. Thus, was a serpent nothing more than a fanged lizard?
I thought it was better than Vikings, which they spend a ton of money advertising for.
Real Badman Wrote:I thought it was better than Vikings, which they spend a ton of money advertising for.

Much agreed! I watched 50 minutes and decided I was done with this series. I cancelled the future recordings of Vikings and was very disappointed in the wasted buildup.
They did a good job I thought.
zaga_fan Wrote:I watched all of a minute of it before I spotted a discrep...

The scene where Adam and Eve were eating the forbidden fruit in the garden with a snake wrapped around a tree watching them...
snakes had legs at that point in time.

I know it's not a HUGE deal that they screwed that up...

but for once I would like to see someone actually put the time and effort to keep from missing that stuff. Is it really that hard to read the first few chapters of Genesis before filming a scene based on it?

Yeah, for sure. I expected there to be a lot of those discrepancies and as you point out, there are plenty to go around. Until the Holy Spirit opens one's eyes to the truth, it is impossible for man to understand the majority of the Bible. The producers used their heads to figure out what God's message is for all these different historical accounts, instead of their hearts. Romans 10:10 (KJV)
10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

That's the reason for so many errors, IMO.
Ephesians 3:1-5 (KJV)
1 For this cause I Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles,
2 If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:
3 How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,
4 Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)
5 Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;

However, from what I've seen so far it is well worth watching. The accuracy is good enough to demonstrate the providence of God in this world. And good enough to pique the minds of Christians which, validates our knowledge of the Biblical accounts and teaches a lot of truth to those who don't know Jesus as Savior. I had the urge to go get my Study Bible off the desk as soon as I saw the first uh-oh. :biggrin:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:They did a good job I thought.

Considering they had a $25M budget for 10 hours of programming, I was vrry pleased with week one. I'm watching 90 minute blockbuster movies with a $50M budget every week that are not nearly as well done.
TheRealThing Wrote:Yeah, for sure. I expected there to be a lot of those discrepancies and as you point out, there are plenty to go around. Until the Holy Spirit opens one's eyes to the truth, it is impossible for man to understand the majority of the Bible. They're using the head to figure out what God's message is for all these different historical accounts, instead of their hearts. Romans 10:10 (KJV)
10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth coinfession is made unto salvation. That's the reason for so many errors, IMO. Ephesians 3:1-5 (KJV)
1 For this cause I Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles,
2 If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:
3 How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,
4 Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)
5 Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;

However, from what I've seen so far it is well worth watching. The accuracy is good enough to demonstrate the providence of God in this world. And good enough to pique the minds of Christians which, validates our knowledge of the Biblical accounts and teaches a lot of truth to those who don't know Jesus as Savior. I had the urge to go get my Study Bible off the desk as soon as I saw the first uh-oh. :biggrin:

And you bring up the very important context that I am waiting for, and that is how they portray the story of Jesus. I expect that they remain with the historical point of view versus getting deep into the spiritual story. No matter what they do, I am 100% satisfied with the direction of this attempt of showing biblical history on television. We are deluged with satanical garbage 50% of the time otherwise.

If God inspired you to get into the book, and for all of us to debate the biblical facts, then amen, God has spoken to us through this movie and all praise goes to God for catching our attention through this work of man. If this series gets but ONE NON BELIEVER, to go to the bible and possibly be open to Gods word, then praise be to God for using this as a tool for his glory.

Before anyone wants to make time to find fault and error in this made for TV programming, stop yourself and take the time to open yourself to the fact that God uses all manner of tools to convey his message to his children. Instead of criticizing, spend your time praying that this finds that one person whose eyes will be opened to Gods message.
Stardust Wrote:• good fatch zaga, but as a movie, it would hage created a charefter not recognizable by anything that man knows of today. It would hage added several more minutes to describe, thus I have no issue with them showing what was the end result. Its just like today, people were wondering where the apple was. The bible does not mention an apple. But it was not as much of somethng that would have needed definition versus what would have had to have been explained in the movie to describe a legged snake.

To your point, it was at this time that God said that the serpent will slither on the earth with no legs, eating the dust of the earth. Thus, was a serpent nothing more than a fanged lizard?

I know what you mean...
but I would have been fine with them showing some type of legged-lizard and moving on with the scene and not explaining it.

If it confused anyone, they would ask about it and someone could let them in on why it was like that. Heck, they may even pick up the good book and read about it themselves.
TheRealThing Wrote:^It was more accurate than I thought it would be. Last night's show dealt in part with Abraham being directed by God to sacrifice his son Isaac to offer him up as a burnt offering. The biblical account states that Abraham took two young men along to help with the three day journey. And, that when Mt Moriah came into view, Abraham told the two helpers to remain at that place, until they returned from the mountain. It was there that Abraham laid the burden of fire wood for the burnt offering on his son Isaac and they then went on alone. The TV account left out the part about the two helpers and the three day journey to the mountain. Making it seem as though their home was at the foot of the mountain and, all they had to do was to walk up on the slope. No big deal but, not quite right.

In this manner God tested Abraham. And the account of Abraham's obedience to God was a picture of the crucifixion of Christ. God's own sacrifice of His Son Jesus for the sin of man. God stopped Abraham from going through with the sacrifice of Isaac, though He knew the day was coming in which He would have to see His Son's sacrifice through to the end. The biblical account of Abraham's unquestioned obedience to God proved Abraham, (to Abraham himself, God already knew he would go through with it) and, established the blood line of all Jews and Jesus himself.

Speaking of blood lines, here's something I find to be an interesting fact. When the angel foretold the birth of Isaac to Sarah and Abraham, as was accurately depicted in the series, Sarah and Abraham doubted the word of the angel because Sarah was past her child bearing years. Sarah then talked Abraham into having a child with her handmaid Hagar, who bore Abraham a son named Ishmael. Sarah, to their surprise, then bore Abraham a son, in the actual fulfillment of the angel's prophesy, who they named Isaac according to the promise of God, and as told by the angel. Ishmael was the firstborn of all those of the bloodline we know today as being Arabic. And, Isaac, (who, like Jesus, had his name revealed by an angel with the announcement of his coming birth) was the firstborn of all those of the bloodline we know today as being Jewish. The blood feud that characterizes the relationship between Israel and the Arab World, has been going on at least since the day that Abraham sent Hagar and his son Ishmael out of his house and away from his land.
You'd be surprised at the number of people that don't know that.
So far, the best scene of the show.....

When Adam arose from the dust of the Earth.
A few things that have drove me nuts just in the first episode. Homosexuality was the reason the Sodom and Gomorrah story correct? There wasnt even a clue as to why it was being destroyed.

Moses wearing his shoes when entering the holy ground?
The story of sodom and gemorrah is a lot like America today. Homosexuality was rampant. But it wasn't the only sin being committed. It was destroyed because there wasn't but one righteous man, Lot. He was able to get his wife and two daughters out before the city was destroyed. His wife looked back and was turned to a pillar of salt.

And as the story goes his daughters feared they would never bear a child so they got Lot drunk and laid with him to conceive a child.

Tom is not my friend....

The comparison to America is that the people lived "free" and did what they wanted with no fear for consequence. They worshipped false gods and stayed drunk. Men laid with men and animals. Beastiality was also prevelant if I remember correctly

Tom is not my friend....

crazytaxidriver Wrote:The story of sodom and gemorrah is a lot like America today. Homosexuality was rampant. But it wasn't the only sin being committed. It was destroyed because there wasn't but one righteous man, Lot. He was able to get his wife and two daughters out before the city was destroyed. His wife looked back and was turned to a pillar of salt.

And as the story goes his daughters feared they would never bear a child so they got Lot drunk and laid with him to conceive a child.

crazytaxidriver Wrote:The comparison to America is that the people lived "free" and did what they wanted with no fear for consequence. They worshipped false gods and stayed drunk. Men laid with men and animals. Beastiality was also prevelant if I remember correctly

See i know the stories and try to understand the meanings.

I just question if the History channel left out the homosexuality to not take any heat from gay activist groups?
^ I would say that's the issue. As soon as they did that it would be lawsuit after lawsuit coming in

Tom is not my friend....

Wildcatk23 Wrote:A few things that have drove me nuts just in the first episode. Homosexuality was the reason the Sodom and Gomorrah story correct? There wasnt even a clue as to why it was being destroyed.

Moses wearing his shoes when entering the holy ground?

Even the scriptures can't trump political correctness 23. You're right, Sodom was destroyed for the sin of homosexuality. Total destruction, not the first trace of Sodom or Gomorrah has ever surfaced to this day. Matter of fact when the people of Sodom learned that Lot had guests (the two angels God had sent to rescue him and his family before Sodom was destroyed) the townsfolk demanded Lot release his guests to them "so that they may know them" That's how the word sodomy came into being and demonstrates the true nature and depth of evil being homosexual and homosexual acts really are. When they said they wanted to KNOW THEM they weren't kidding around.

Genesis 19:4-11 (KJV)
4 But before they lay down, the men of the city, even the men of Sodom, compassed the house round, both old and young, all the people from every quarter:
5 And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men which came in to thee this night? bring them out unto us, that we may know them. 6 And Lot went out at the door unto them, and shut the door after him,
7 And said, I pray you, brethren, do not so wickedly.
8 Behold now, I have two daughters which have not known man; let me, I pray you, bring them out unto you, and do ye to them as is good in your eyes: only unto these men do nothing; for therefore came they under the shadow of my roof.
9 And they said, Stand back. And they said again, This one fellow came in to sojourn, and he will needs be a judge: now will we deal worse with thee, than with them. And they pressed sore upon the man, even Lot, and came near to break the door.
10 But the men put forth their hand, and pulled Lot into the house to them, and shut to the door.
11 And they smote the men that were at the door of the house with blindness, both small and great: so that they wearied themselves to find the door.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TheRealThing Wrote:Even the scriptures can't trump political correctness 23. You're right, Sodom was destroyed for the sin of homosexuality. Total destruction, not the first trace of Sodom or Gomorrah has ever surfaced to this day. Matter of fact when the people of Sodom learned that Lot had guests (the two angels God had sent to rescue him and his family before Sodom was destroyed) the townsfolk demanded Lot release his guests to them "so that they may know them" That's how the word sodomy came into being and demonstrates the true nature and depth of evil being homosexual and homosexual acts really are. When they said they wanted to KNOW THEM they weren't kidding around.

Genesis 19:4-11 (KJV)
4 But before they lay down, the men of the city, even the men of Sodom, compassed the house round, both old and young, all the people from every quarter:
5 And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men which came in to thee this night? bring them out unto us, that we may know them. 6 And Lot went out at the door unto them, and shut the door after him,
7 And said, I pray you, brethren, do not so wickedly.
8 Behold now, I have two daughters which have not known man; let me, I pray you, bring them out unto you, and do ye to them as is good in your eyes: only unto these men do nothing; for therefore came they under the shadow of my roof.
9 And they said, Stand back. And they said again, This one fellow came in to sojourn, and he will needs be a judge: now will we deal worse with thee, than with them. And they pressed sore upon the man, even Lot, and came near to break the door.
10 But the men put forth their hand, and pulled Lot into the house to them, and shut to the door.
11 And they smote the men that were at the door of the house with blindness, both small and great: so that they wearied themselves to find the door.

It is the duty of Man to Fear God and honor his Commandments.

And trust me.... Just watch the news or just walk through your hometown, and you will find out just how far our World has drifted.
The vast majority of our Nation does not Fear God.

And I believe in my heart the only reason God has not destroyed The United States yet is because their are still some righteous people in this land unlike Sodom and Gomorrah.
This thread reminds me of this pie chart I saw on the History channel.

[Image: http://www.shawnallison.com/wp-content/u...nel746.png]