•  Previous
  • 8(current)
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corbin 2013
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I was there but didnt count.
It seemed as though they had just as many, if not more than Whitley.
Did you get a head count on us during any jv gameslast year?

Corbin dressed a few more than Whitley for JV and Fresh games. I think most fresh Whitley had last year was 26. Mills never played a fresh game and only the Corbin JV game.
The JV game last year was early in year.I think Monday before labor day so I'm sure both teams were able to play a lot of players. Awesome game I might add. Whitley stopped a 2 point conversion in 2nd OT to win 44-42.
footballfever Wrote:Corbin dressed a few more than Whitley for JV and Fresh games. I think most fresh Whitley had last year was 26. Mills never played a fresh game and only the Corbin JV game.
The JV game last year was early in year.I think Monday before labor day so I'm sure both teams were able to play a lot of players. Awesome game I might add. Whitley stopped a 2 point conversion in 2nd OT to win 44-42.

I was at the frosh game but was working during the jv game.
I remember hearing how good of a game it was.

Whitley had quite a few players playing varsity that were pretty young last year, especially in the skills positions.
Heck, even Ysidro was only a sophomore.

Should be another interesting year. Any word on the frosh and jv schedule this year?
watched coach jewell interview on channel 57 sports last night, somebody please tell him that they don't play the championship game in Lousiville anymore. Sure would hate to see the team show up at the wrong placeConfusednicker:Confusednicker::cop:
^
I seen that too!!
Confusednicker:

Oh Jewell.....
64SUR Wrote:watched coach jewell interview on channel 57 sports last night, somebody please tell him that they don't play the championship game in Lousiville anymore. Sure would hate to see the team show up at the wrong placeConfusednicker:Confusednicker::cop:

I don't think they'll have to worry about that.
I'm hearing that this could be the best Corbin team in the last 6 or 7 years. The improvement in the passing game will be the key to just how good.
How good is that? IMO they have not been very good during that time period just in a good class.
TopCat Wrote:How good is that? IMO they have not been very good during that time period just in a good class.

They have classes in football for a reason.
^
The bunch they have now has won state titles in middle school but this is high school and the game is a lot different at this level than middle school, so only time will tell how good they are. I do expect them to be better than they have been in past years but IMO I still think the district title will between Corbin and wayne co.
Im new to BGR but old to tri county football. This is my first post but must say this is an amusing thread. Anyhow, I agree with Panther Nation in the fact that middle school is totally different than H.S. Corbin's seniors were also state runner ups to Bowling Green in 7th grade when there was only one middle school division. They lost to Bowling Green again in 8th grade in the quarter finals. You would think this senior and junior class would be loaded but a ton of those kids are gone. Only 10 senior left from that middle school team. I do think they will be much better this year though.
Redhounds coming off first losing season since 1995
The Corbin Redhounds lost three games by a single touchdown and one game by three points in 2012, ending the season with a 5-6 record.

This year, finishing will be key to any success.

Corbin had its first losing season since 1995 last year, but the team is energized coming into 2013. While it sounds cliché, playing all four quarters is on the top of the agenda for head coach Steve Jewell. But he has even higher goals than simply competing in every game.

"We plan on nothing but trying to get to (a state championship game)," Jewell said. "I mean, me talking negative is not ever going to help. I don't them to ever think negative. And actually, I don't want them to be out on the field with us if they don't think they are going to win."

"I want nothing but for people to think they are going to win on the field and always believe that you are going to win. And that's reallistically what we want -- to get to Bowling Green. We want to win. I mean that's what we expect to do, that's what our community expects for us to do and that's what we plan on from January on."
oldhound70s Wrote:Im new to BGR but old to tri county football. This is my first post but must say this is an amusing thread. Anyhow, I agree with Panther Nation in the fact that middle school is totally different than H.S. Corbin's seniors were also state runner ups to Bowling Green in 7th grade when there was only one middle school division. They lost to Bowling Green again in 8th grade in the quarter finals. You would think this senior and junior class would be loaded but a ton of those kids are gone. Only 10 senior left from that middle school team. I do think they will be much better this year though.

This is a list of some of the kids who left the team that would be seniors, which includes the top 2 RB's and probably half of the top 10 players.

Derek Woolum - rb, cb
Ben Gosser - rb, lb
Donnie Mills - rb, lb
James Lundy - g, dt
Zach Reedy - g, de
Bryan Abrams - g, dt
Austin Hopkins - g, dt
Tyler Reynolds - te
^
Got to get a coach that keep them.

Theres always kids you cant do anything with, but to lose 15-20 players from 8th grade to senior year is something a lot of this areas coaches seem to do.
Corbin looks much better this year. Much better attitude as well from what I've seen. A few coaching changes and several kids graduating seems to have brought this team together. A couple questionable areas remain though. Line play and QB are the two biggest concerns followed by coaching. The line has to get tougher or the Taylor kid will be running for his life like Waddle did last year. I continue to question why they have some kids in some positions but we will see how it goes. Moving the Waddle kid to the back field is probably a good move because he needs to get more running opportunities. He will also help out greatly at safety, kick and punt returns. He is about the only player with the speed to break away from the secondary. Jackson needs more touches as well. He's a very unorthodox runner but he runs extremely hard and will get extras yards when a lot of kids will go down. Powers is also full of offensive potential if they will give him a chance. He runs low and hard and has good speed. I am also hearing that a couple soccer players came out to kick this year. That will be a huge asset if it is true. I can't wait till next Friday when we will get a good guage on this team against Middlesboro. I only wish we played Middlesboro, Somerset, Whitley Co, Knox Central, and Williamsburg every year. Imagine the gate money that those games would bring in.
My dream schedule for Corbin:

Middlesboro (old school rival)
Somerset (old school rival)
Williamsburg (just so they would shut up)
Danville (old rivalry)
Whitley County (great gate opportunity)
Knox Central (great gate opportunity and a very good challenge)
Bell County (district game and rival)
Wayne County (district game)
McCreary Central (district game)
Casey County (district game)
SEKYFAN Wrote:This is a list of some of the kids who left the team that would be seniors, which includes the top 2 RB's and probably half of the top 10 players.

Derek Woolum - rb, cb
Ben Gosser - rb, lb
Donnie Mills - rb, lb
James Lundy - g, dt
Zach Reedy - g, de
Bryan Abrams - g, dt
Austin Hopkins - g, dt
Tyler Reynolds - te

The first 3 you mentioned were 3 of the best in that class if not the best and Lundy had the potential to be a dominant force. However they all quit after their freshmen year. The bottom 4 on your list probably never would have started, but may have been able to contribute. You did leave out Joey Shelton, Sam Brown, and Chris Middleton, all would have started or contributed. I do believe Middleton is going to play this year, but after taking 3 years off I would assume he would now be behind players younger than him.
oldhound70s Wrote:Corbin looks much better this year. Much better attitude as well from what I've seen. A few coaching changes and several kids graduating seems to have brought this team together. A couple questionable areas remain though. Line play and QB are the two biggest concerns followed by coaching. The line has to get tougher or the Taylor kid will be running for his life like Waddle did last year. I continue to question why they have some kids in some positions but we will see how it goes. Moving the Waddle kid to the back field is probably a good move because he needs to get more running opportunities. He will also help out greatly at safety, kick and punt returns. He is about the only player with the speed to break away from the secondary. Jackson needs more touches as well. He's a very unorthodox runner but he runs extremely hard and will get extras yards when a lot of kids will go down. Powers is also full of offensive potential if they will give him a chance. He runs low and hard and has good speed. I am also hearing that a couple soccer players came out to kick this year. That will be a huge asset if it is true. I can't wait till next Friday when we will get a good guage on this team against Middlesboro. I only wish we played Middlesboro, Somerset, Whitley Co, Knox Central, and Williamsburg every year. Imagine the gate money that those games would bring in.

Welcome to the site.
Always great to have another poster from this area.
I remember watching the Lundy kid when he played in the pop warner league in Corbin. He was every bit of 6'2 325 pounds as a 5th and 6th grader. With that size, he could have written his paycheck if he committed himself to perfecting technique and living in the weight room.

It was asked that he move up to Middle school but his parents wouldn't have it. I think that really hurt his development as you can't really improve playing against kids 200-250 pounds lighter than you.
HAROLD Wrote:I remember watching the Lundy kid when he played in the pop warner league in Corbin. He was every bit of 6'2 325 pounds as a 5th and 6th grader. With that size, he could have written his paycheck if he committed himself to perfecting technique and living in the weight room.

It was asked that he move up to Middle school but his parents wouldn't have it. I think that really hurt his development as you can't really improve playing against kids 200-250 pounds lighter than you.

Not defending Lundy, but it wasn't up to the parents to make the move up to the middle school. Corbin does not permit kids playing up. There have been several kids in tcsa who wanted to play up but were not permitted. However, I do agree with you and it is well known that his work ethic was ultimately his downfall along with his injuries due to his growing.
One thing about it, Lundy is one heck of a good kid. He was always respectful and nice when I spoke to him. He played on the little league team with my nephew.
HAROLD Wrote:One thing about it, Lundy is one heck of a good kid. He was always respectful and nice when I spoke to him. He played on the little league team with my nephew.

Definitely a great kid, and has always been respectful. He was so nice, I think he might have been afraid of hurting other kids if he let loose with his body on the field.

oldhound70s Wrote:Corbin looks much better this year. Much better attitude as well from what I've seen. A few coaching changes and several kids graduating seems to have brought this team together. A couple questionable areas remain though. Line play and QB are the two biggest concerns followed by coaching. The line has to get tougher or the Taylor kid will be running for his life like Waddle did last year. I continue to question why they have some kids in some positions but we will see how it goes. Moving the Waddle kid to the back field is probably a good move because he needs to get more running opportunities. He will also help out greatly at safety, kick and punt returns. He is about the only player with the speed to break away from the secondary. Jackson needs more touches as well. He's a very unorthodox runner but he runs extremely hard and will get extras yards when a lot of kids will go down. Powers is also full of offensive potential if they will give him a chance. He runs low and hard and has good speed. I am also hearing that a couple soccer players came out to kick this year. That will be a huge asset if it is true. I can't wait till next Friday when we will get a good guage on this team against Middlesboro. I only wish we played Middlesboro, Somerset, Whitley Co, Knox Central, and Williamsburg every year. Imagine the gate money that those games would bring in.

I would like to see Powers get 10-15 carries a game to see what kind of production he could get. He seemed to be a load to bring down last year whenever he got his shoulders squared up, that is in the few carries he got.
IMO the Powers kid could be that next stud for Corbin that theyve lacked for the last four or five years.
I totally agree. He should get at least 12 carries and so should the Waddle kid. Powers between tackles and Waddle to the outside would be a great combination. For some reason that coaching staff seems go hold them back. Hopefully it will be different this year.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:The first 3 you mentioned were 3 of the best in that class if not the best and Lundy had the potential to be a dominant force. However they all quit after their freshmen year. The bottom 4 on your list probably never would have started, but may have been able to contribute. You did leave out Joey Shelton, Sam Brown, and Chris Middleton, all would have started or contributed. I do believe Middleton is going to play this year, but after taking 3 years off I would assume he would now be behind players younger than him.

I looked at the roster and it shows 9 seniors, but does not have Middleton listed. I also noticed that Cima is listed as an OL and DE, which could get him some playing time while shoring up the line. He was a 245 lb FB and LB last year as a freshman, but those positions are crowded. There was a junior on the roster by the name of Carson Bruck that I don't recall playing before, didn't see any other names in the junior and senior classes that were unfamiliar.
SEKYFAN Wrote:I looked at the roster and it shows 9 seniors, but does not have Middleton listed. I also noticed that Cima is listed as an OL and DE, which could get him some playing time while shoring up the line. He was a 245 lb FB and LB last year as a freshman, but those positions are crowded. There was a junior on the roster by the name of Carson Bruck that I don't recall playing before, didn't see any other names in the junior and senior classes that were unfamiliar.

Middleton started lifting in the spring and went through spring ball and the summer so unless he has quit again recently he should be with the team. Like i said in my previous post, he would probably find himself behind younger players and have to work his way into a starting role. He might have decided he didn't want to go through that. Carson Bruck moved to Corbin his eighth grade year and has developed over the last couple years and is a nice athlete. Probably wont contribute much this year, but might next season. And I have heard that when they experimented with Cima on the line they couldn't take him off. From what I've heard he has been very impressive there and is one of the likely starters on the line. Out of curiosity where did you see a roster.
2013 WYMT Pigskin Preview: Corbin Redhounds

Corbin, Ky. (WYMT) -- When a team has a losing season, changes are a must.

"We would turn the ball over – fumbles, picks – and we wouldn't cause turnovers on the defensive end,” senior defensive end Zach Henson said. “We need to change the turnover ratio, make teams come in and beat us instead of handing it to teams."

The Corbin Redhounds lost three games by a single touchdown and one game by three points in 2012. Finishing games will be vital this fall.

"We have been playing with each other since Pop Warner and middle school,” junior linebacker Tanner Powers said. “We just don't want to see us fail."

Corbin is playing for improvement. But more importantly, they are playing to prove.

"We are not going to pull any punches at Corbin,” head coach Steve Jewell, who had his first losing season last year, said. “We want to win. I mean that's what we expect to do, that's what our community expects for us to do and that's what we plan on from January on.”

“We had a lot of stumbling blocks last year. Played a lot of good ball clubs, a lot of physical ball games, I felt like we were beat up at times, I've even blamed myself for the scheduling a lot of times as far as not giving our kids a chance to heal.”

The Redhounds will open the season up against Southwestern on August 23. Every game this year is about hard-nosed football.

“I want people to see that we are not who we were last year,” senior running back and wide receiver Taylor Waddle said. “We are a different team. I want people to say, ‘Hey, they are going to come out and they are going to smack you every time’ and we will hit you right in the mouth."

Just like 2012, the mentality is there. This time, they want to finish the job.

http://www.wkyt.com/wymt/sports/sportsov...32011.html
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
What time does the Corbin & Middlesboro game start tomorrow?
The Outsider Wrote:How many kids does Corbin have out this year?

They have 70 listed on the roster in the newspaper.
  •  Previous
  • 8(current)