Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saturday's "GameDay" showing in Rupp loaded with story lines
Nerlens Noel's season-ending injury drained some pizazz from ESPN's GameDay show Saturday in Rupp Arena. Not that the all-sports network seeks pity. But the show must go on.

"It's more unfortunate for Kentucky," said Tom Engle, a producer of the GameDay hoop-a-palooza. " ... We'd love to see probably one of the marquee players in the country. To not have him on the court, it hurts us. But it hurts (Kentucky) a ton more."

GameDay has plenty of potential subjects to discuss, beginning with the Kentucky-Missouri game (tip-off at 9 p.m.). Even the torn anterior cruciate ligament Noel tore at Florida last week can serve to stimulate conversation.

"It immediately creates story lines for us," Engle said of the injury. "Who is going to be the next person to step up? What is (Noel's) decision going to be down the road as far as coming back to Kentucky?"

Then there's the incessant assessments of teams' chances for an NCAA Tournament bid.

"I guess it opens up a lot more questions for us more than anything else," the producer said.

Engle, who has produced the GameDay show for two seasons, could not recall another instance of a participating team losing its star player a week or two prior to the game.

ESPN and UK expect a large crowd to attend the GameDay show, which begins at 10 a.m. on ESPNU and then shifts an hour later to ESPN. Two years ago, a record 22,144 came to Rupp Arena to watch the show.

"We're already hearing good numbers for Saturday," Engle said. The producer had heard estimates of a crowd of about 15,000.

"Which would be amazing," he said. "That would far exceed the crowds we've had this year."

The largest crowd so far was about 5,000 when GameDay originated from North Carolina State, Engle said.

Last season's largest crowd — about 5,000 — was part of the GameDay at Missouri.

"For us, the crowd doesn't necessarily (dictate) what kind of show we have," Engle said. "But it definitely builds energy in the arena, and I think our guys feed off that energy a little bit. ...

"I guess you could liken it to a sporting event. The overall excitement level goes up. Maybe their discussion will be more animated. They'll have more fun with the crowd."

The panelists for GameDay are expected to be Rece Davis, Jay Bilas, Digger Phelps and Jalen Rose.

Tickets to GameDay, which are free, are available at Ticketmaster.com and at Ticketmaster outlets.

Doors open at 8 a.m. Saturday. The GameDay crew will first be shown during the 9 a.m. broadcast of SportsCenter on ESPN.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2013/02/21/25253...rylink=cpy
Glad to have Gameday here and take part in it, but today will be the longest conversation on UK's tourney bid ever...
BBD26 Wrote:Glad to have Gameday here and take part in it, but today will be the longest conversation on UK's tourney bid ever...

And that conversation is only really just starting. A loss
will bnrig it to an end, but a win will stoke it up and
advance it, nowhere near settle it.
How many ended up attending?
^^^I was there RIUTG, around 17,000+ I think. Again the most this year easily. Man if was greatness! I'm still pumped hahah!
^
I got to see a lil of it and i loved hearing a few boos every time digger would talk.

UK fan or not, no one can deny the fact that UK has the biggest crowds and fan base in college basketball.
You could barely hear the announcers talk when the crowd started yelling.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL