Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will the Zags get a #1 seed?
Ranked 3 in both polls right now and they don't have any tough competition left on the schedule.

5-2 against the RPI top 50 and they sit at 11 in RPI rankings right now.

I don't think they deserve it...
but if they win out do they get it?
No. It'll go to a power conference school.
What's been there toughest competition?
^
Somerset Community College back on Dec 29th.
Every year I say I'm not going to play Gonzaga very far in my bracket. And then I play Gonzaga to far in my bracket! Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. One seeds--Indiana, Miami, Florida, Kentucky. LOL
IU in the Midwest, Miami in the East, Michigan St in the South, and Florida in the West. I believe Louisville is the top #2, and if they win out, they could take one of the #1's that surely will drop out because of a loss between now and selection time. So, IMO, the Zags will not get a #1, which means they have to keep them out West as the #2. If two of those #1's lose, then I could see a case to give the Zags that #1 spot in the West by moving Florida to one of the other regions.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:What's been there toughest competition?

Not a lot of amazing competition...

Wins against West Virginia, Clemson, Oklahoma, Washington State, Kansas State, Baylor, Oklahoma State and BYU.

Only losses to Illinois and Butler.

I think they've got a case for a one seed right now - but they still don't have it in my book.

They have no bad losses and they have no amazing wins.
Those aren't bad wins really. Just not great wins. Kansas State is a nice win.
McCameraMan Wrote:Those aren't bad wins really. Just not great wins. Kansas State is a nice win.

They're good wins.
Most teams in minor conferences don't get wins even against middle of the pack teams in power conferences.

But there are two top-15 wins in there.
It depends on what Sparty does in the Big Ten tournament. Either Miami or Duke will get a 1 seed, Florida and Indiana will bot get a 1 seed.
zaga_fan Wrote:They're good wins.
Most teams in minor conferences don't get wins even against middle of the pack teams in power conferences.

But there are two top-15 wins in there.

The Big 12 isn't a great basketball conference, but all of those Big 12 wins they have are solid even if they aren't all top 25 teams. Oklahoma and Oklahoma State both beat Kansas so that's pretty impressive.
zaga_fan Wrote:Ranked 3 in both polls right now and they don't have any tough competition left on the schedule.

5-2 against the RPI top 50 and they sit at 11 in RPI rankings right now.

I don't think they deserve it...
but if they win out do they get it?

Why not? Florida certainly spit the bit last night (worst last
shot execution I can recall in a long time). Those thinking
Mich St is going to wrangle one, must be hitting the bars
with BCG. Doesn't seem likely that both Duke and Miami
can get a #1. If Miami wins at Duke, or keeps it close, then Duke is
done for #1 consideration, if Duke wins by 8+, then the one
that does better in the ACC tnmt. will get it. So if the Zags win
out, they probably will get a #1.

And why the heck not? Moan about their conf. if you want, but
they beat Okie St. in Stillwater, and also took down Baylor, Oklahoma,
Clemson, Kansas St, teams from power conferences. And their 2 losses
are to Butler and Illinois. And no other contender has been as
consistent all year long.
toussaints Wrote:It depends on what Sparty does in the Big Ten tournament. Either Miami or Duke will get a 1 seed, Florida and Indiana will bot get a 1 seed.

Sparty began a 3 game losing streak last nght at home to IU.
Thyer aren't going to beat OSU in Columbus, nor Mich in Ann Arbor.
And HONESTLY, who could be shocked if they lost to Wisconsin
at home since they will play the ugly slugfest the Badgers will
want?

To get a #1, Sparty would have to win out and then get a couple of Big 10 tourney wins. AIN'T HAPPENIN.
Stardust Wrote:IU in the Midwest, Miami in the East, Michigan St in the South, and Florida in the West. I believe Louisville is the top #2, and if they win out, they could take one of the #1's that surely will drop out because of a loss between now and selection time. So, IMO, the Zags will not get a #1, which means they have to keep them out West as the #2. If two of those #1's lose, then I could see a case to give the Zags that #1 spot in the West by moving Florida to one of the other regions.

Prior to last night Dusty, I thought the Gators would come thru,
but that loss, particularly the pathetic way they threw it away at
the end, finished that discussion. But how in the world did you
think Mich St was going to get a #1. I wouldn't have been shocked
if they beat IU last night, but certainly expected the Hoosiers to
win whoch they did. But either way, Sparty wasn't going to beat
OSU or Mich on the road, and might even slip up against Wisc.
at home. WHERE did this idea come from that Sparty is a top 10
team? Sorry, not buying it.
Up 44-15 on Santa Clara at the half.

I don't think they get touched in the WCC to end the season.
Kelly Olynyk is flat out good. I believe everyone will know who he is once the Madness starts.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Kelly Olynyk is flat out good. I believe everyone will know who he is once the Madness starts.

He's getting some looks for Player of the Year.

I think he's been the biggest reason for their success this year.
Going into the season I knew that he was a capable big man but I had assumed that Pangos was going to be the head honcho going into it.
Observing Wrote:Sparty began a 3 game losing streak last nght at home to IU.
Thyer aren't going to beat OSU in Columbus, nor Mich in Ann Arbor.
And HONESTLY, who could be shocked if they lost to Wisconsin
at home since they will play the ugly slugfest the Badgers will
want?

To get a #1, Sparty would have to win out and then get a couple of Big 10 tourney wins. AIN'T HAPPENIN.
I normally dont agree with you and your posts (doesnt mean I dont respect you though lol) but you are spot on with this one. I agree with you 110%..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Zags beat a 19-8 team by 40+ a couple nights ago..yeah, those guys are for real. Florida is unpredictable, but I dont see them slipping anymore. Im not sold on Duke but I still think they win the ACC tourney. Miami is really good but they will hit a stretch and lose a couple before its all said and done. I think Louisville is the wild card here. I think they go on a run and if they can win the Big East tourney, they get a #1 seed. I think Gonzaga gets a 1 if they win out (and I think they will)..Louisville, IU, Florida and Gonzaga will get 1's IF Duke dont run the tables from here on out. IF they do, they will knock Gonzaga out of theirs..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Miami's loss helps the Zags in their quest for a #1 seed
We'll be ranked #2 when the polls come out
All joking aside, I fully believe Gonzaga can compete with any of the top teams.
There is more parity in college basketball this year than ever.

It could be anybodys tourney.
zaga_fan Wrote:We'll be ranked #2 when the polls come out

LOL "We'll".

Zag is posting from Spokane, Washington I'm sure.
MiddlesboroAlumni Wrote:LOL "We'll".

Zag is posting from Spokane, Washington I'm sure.

I've not been there since I graduated...
I'd say they've locked up a number one...
Downtown10 Wrote:I'd say they've locked up a number one...

If they win out and win the WCC, they've got it.
^ Anything can happen come tourney time. Barring a bad game; the only team they have to worry about is Saint Mary's.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:If they win out and win the WCC, they've got it.

That's key. The media is waiting to pounce. And the
pressure to drop them will be BIG if they drop one
down the stretch.
Observing Wrote:That's key. The media is waiting to pounce. And the
pressure to drop them will be BIG if they drop one
down the stretch.

Say Gonzaga wins out in the regular season and reaches the WCC Championship game and they lose; if it were a BCS conference, they wouldn't lose their projected number one seed. Since they are a "mid-major", then they would unquestionably fall to a 2. I don't like it, but that's the way it is. The Zags need to win, win, and win until Selection Sunday if they want that number one seed.

Zaga, would you agree?
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Say Gonzaga wins out in the regular season and reaches the WCC Championship game and they lose; if it were a BCS conference, they wouldn't lose their projected number one seed. Since they are a "mid-major", then they would unquestionably fall to a 2. I don't like it, but that's the way it is. The Zags need to win, win, and win until Selection Sunday if they want that number one seed.

Zaga, would you agree?

At this point I think they have to win out.
To my knowledge they are the only team in the polls with only 2 losses...
by most standards that would be enough to be the outright #1 team, but because of their status as a mid-major they don't get that kind of love from the pollsters.

Something else to chew on...
IU has a couple of tests and a tourney ahead of them.
If they drop a game (or two) and Gonzaga wins out....
Will the pollsters give them the #1 overall seed?