Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holsopple Named UK’s Strength Coach
Scott Holsopple was named Kentucky’s men’s basketball strength and conditioning coach Thursday, Head Coach Tubby Smith announced. “We conducted a national search and had a number of great applicants for this position,” Smith said. “Scott Holsopple stood out because of his ability to motivate and develop young people into peak physical condition. He did a great job at Marquette, and he’ll be a vital part of our program. He’s going to do an outstanding job.”

Holsopple comes to UK after spending six seasons at Marquette. He was hired in the fall of 2000 to work specifically with the men’s basketball program, but has served as the head strength and conditioning coach for the past five years. In that position, Holsopple was responsible for the total development of strength and conditioning programs for all 14 of the Golden Eagles’ Division I athletic programs.

Prior to Marquette, Holsopple served as the strength and conditioning assistant at his alma mater, Penn State. During his time there, he helped develop and implement a comprehensive, year-round strength, conditioning and agility program for the school’s 28 athletic teams.

Holsopple completed an internship under legendary strength coach Mickey Marotti at Notre Dame and was the strength and conditioning coordinator at Ken Chertow’s Olympian Wresting Camp.

“This is a great opportunity for me,” Holsopple said. “I’m excited to be a part a program that has the history and tradition of Kentucky basketball. I know the players will give it everything they have, and I’ll make sure they approach conditioning using a consistent, day-by-day process to get better and stronger.”

A native of Happy Valley, Pa., Holsopple earned All-America recognition as a boxer at Penn State. He graduated from PSU in 2000 with a bachelor’s degree in kinesiology.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
Sounds good hope it pans out.
Sounds like he's the right man for the job.
Holsopple is a great guy..I visited Marquette when i was on a baseball visit and they introduced me to him!
Congrats Coach....
This may be a step in the right direction, but it take more than hiring a strength coach to keep UK at the top of the basketball world.