Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Herald Leader: Rating the State
http://fieldsnotes.bloginky.com/2012/12/...s-ratings/

these are always interesting and make for good discussion...
Herald Leader* haha
^
Fixed it for ya.
And this list is a complete example of why "ratings" and "rankings" are a wash when it comes to high school sports, but these take the cake for me. A simple look at the KHSAA website could have shown Mr. Fields this list is way off.
Ive never been a fan of ranking teams simply by there win/loss record as has clearly been done here, but by who those wins and losses come to.

Looking over the list at a quick glance, Clay is number 7, while Whitley (who beat Clay on the road) is all the way down at 23. To make it more interesting, a Sacred Heart team is one spot behind Whitley, who they just beat last week.

I know Whitley has lost to Tates Creek, which was there worst played game of the year, and to a TN team, who to be honest, isnt that bad, but when you look at heaad to head competetion, the results dont lie.
This list is pretty bad. I agree with the top 3 but that's about it.
Yep, top 3 is good. The rest is just ignorant
So lets see your 25
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Mr. Fields this list is way off.

Looking over the list at a quick glance, Clay is number 7, while Whitley (who beat Clay on the road) is all the way down at 23. To make it more interesting, a Sacred Heart team is one spot behind Whitley, who they just beat last week.

I know Whitley has lost to Tates Creek, which was there worst played game of the year, and to a TN team
-
First, this is not Mike Fields rankings. They are generated by a computer program written by Dave Cantrell. Games against out of state teams do not count.
-
A close loss to a good team can help you rankings while a loss to a bad team can really hurt your rankings. Strength of Schedule is more important than wins and losses.
-
As the season goes on these rankings will level out and are much better than the first one of the season....
-
catscards Wrote:-
First, this is not Mike Fields rankings. They are generated by a computer program written by Dave Cantrell. Games against out of state teams do not count.
-
A close loss to a good team can help you rankings while a loss to a bad team can really hurt your rankings. Strength of Schedule is more important than wins and losses.
-
As the season goes on these rankings will level out and are much better than the first one of the season....
-

So if Fields is putting out Cantrells magical rankings then he must believe them or agree with them right?
You cant watch enough high school games around the state to garner an accurate top 25. Thats why every ranking is a complete joke.
Lets see your top 20.. You are on here crying about how wrong they are, but like you seem to tell others, you are not bringing anything to the conversation others than Blah, blah, blah. Lets see your top 20.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:So if Fields is putting out Cantrells magical rankings then he must believe them or agree with them right?
You cant watch enough high school games around the state to garner an accurate top 25. Thats why every ranking is a complete joke.

No.
The sports editor puts out the rankings, but even he doesn't have to agree with them. Cantrall sends them the rankings. The Herald doesn't tell him how to do it.
I've talked to Mike Fields before about it. He doesn't always agree.
I really don't think it's that bad rating Whitley 23rd even though they beat Clay. That's still very good and the season is only halfway over.
I think Harlan County is too low in the 13th at No. 5 after beating Bell, which is No. 3, but those things usually even out during the course of the season.
HDE Wrote:No.
The sports editor puts out the rankings, but even he doesn't have to agree with them. Cantrall sends them the rankings. The Herald doesn't tell him how to do it.
I've talked to Mike Fields before about it. He doesn't always agree.
I really don't think it's that bad rating Whitley 23rd even though they beat Clay. That's still very good and the season is only halfway over.
I think Harlan County is too low in the 13th at No. 5 after beating Bell, which is No. 3, but those things usually even out during the course of the season.

Its not the fact that Whitley is ranked behind Clay.
Its the fact that Clay is ranked as the 7th team in the state and Whitley is ranked all the way at 23, with Sacred Heart behind them :zzz:

Im not saying these rankings are bad, im saying ALL rankings are bad. You can go by a point system or off the top of your head, either way, they'll never be anywhere near what they need to be. You simply cant watch every game. Football rankings are different and easy to do by comparing opponents, but you cannot do that with high school basketball.

And i agree about the 13th. Whitley, Clay, Harlan County, Bell Co, Corbin.
lillianhidgepork Wrote:Lets see your top 20. You are on here crying about how wrong they are, but like you seem to tell others, you are not bringing anything to the conversation others than Blah, blah, blah. Lets see your top 20.

You= Thin Ice.

Please post something informative and quit being childish. Your immature ways are catching up. Ive already told you about the name calling, which i shouldnt have to do unless your 12.
Ok I am good with no name calling, BUT I expect you to do the same. Below is a few posts by someone who I will leave unamed but I have the posts saved on my hard drive in case you decide to ban me for something someone else is doing, namely you. All I did was ask you for your take on the top 20 as you were saying it was wrong. I have been told to either bring something productive to the table or basically not post. I would think that Torqque would want his mods to lead by example. Again I have saved these posts to my hard drive and several others so if you delete them I have them. Practice what you preach and people will be more inclined to follow. See Below.

"Dont worry about littlepiggy.
He just likes to troll on Whitley for some reason, and in the process shows his ignorance because hes always wrong. "

"At the end of the day, your still you, and get worked up (which is easy to do, and ive done it successfully many times) while i sit here and constantly laugh at you, along with all other members. You dont post anything else throughout the site, which continues to further my beliefs. "

"im going to have to step back llicoennfnfjnvhidhepiggy.
You almost got me on that one. "

"Its just to easy. Cmon, get madder. I enjoy your little rants piggy.
Sorry double post, but here would be my top 10 to start:

1. Marion County
2. Mercy
3. Anderson County
4. Manual
5. Madison Central
6. Sacred Heart
7. Bowling Green
8. Butler
9. Ballard
10. Etown
lillianhidgepork Wrote:Ok I am good with no name calling, BUT I expect you to do the same. Below is a few posts by someone who I will leave unamed but I have the posts saved on my hard drive in case you decide to ban me for something someone else is doing, namely you. All I did was ask you for your take on the top 20 as you were saying it was wrong. I have been told to either bring something productive to the table or basically not post. I would think that Torqque would want his mods to lead by example. Again I have saved these posts to my hard drive and several others so if you delete them I have them. Practice what you preach and people will be more inclined to follow. See Below.

"Dont worry about littlepiggy.
He just likes to troll on Whitley for some reason, and in the process shows his ignorance because hes always wrong. "

"At the end of the day, your still you, and get worked up (which is easy to do, and ive done it successfully many times) while i sit here and constantly laugh at you, along with all other members. You dont post anything else throughout the site, which continues to further my beliefs. "

"im going to have to step back llicoennfnfjnvhidhepiggy.
You almost got me on that one. "

"Its just to easy. Cmon, get madder. I enjoy your little rants piggy.

Does your name not end in pork? That is a pig.
We do not have the option to delete post. Only the option to edit.
Remember that this is a FREE site. We dont take anything from you. You can dislike the way things here are all you want, to be honest, it doesnt matter to me.
Youll be gone at the end of the year once your team loses just like the 50,000 before you. Ill still be here.

I will make a deal with you however, if you can keep posting in a mature manner, and not have the full intention of doing anything except trying to call out my every single post, then i will take you, your post, and you attitude seriously and also come back in a productive manner. You can disagree with me all you want, but my opinions will not change. Thats no reason for you to get mad.
Im not mad nor will I be gone. Your mind reading skills equals most here, none. I dont have a team and thats the truth. I just happen to have been around a few players and coaches and I find you all amusing( as do they). And your name is just as close to gutless as mine is to a pig. Now post your top teams and show us how smart you really are....
And I dont disagree with the site, just you.......
lillianhidgepork Wrote:Sorry double post, but here would be my top 10 to start:

1. Marion County
2. Mercy
3. Anderson County
4. Manual
5. Madison Central
6. Sacred Heart
7. Bowling Green
8. Butler
9. Ballard
10. Etown

This is a decent start.
IMHO, no teams from the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th, or 16th regions deserve a spot in the top 10. That leaves me with 8 regions to choose my ten from.

By process of elimination, I then consider whats left.
Ill work backwards....

Starting with the 11th region, Scott County is the traditional teams you think of. However, this year Madison Central IMO, is the only team in the 11th region with a reasonable stance for a top 10 spot. Scotts losses to Clay, and Lincoln shown they have dropped off.

In the 10th region, Bishop Brossart has 3 losses, but one of those was a close loss to Anderson County, however, IMO, losses to New Cath and Highlands are to much to deserve a ranking at this time.

In the 9th region Conner and Cov Holy Cross have a chance. But, when looking at Conners losses, which include Highlands and PRP (which isnt to bad) its hard to rank them near the top. CHC however, only has one loss to out of state competetion. But, they dont have many "good" wins. A big win over Tates Creek has them in the back of my mind though.

In the 8th region, Anderson is a clear choice. Only one bad loss, to a Bryan Station team, that lets face it, has played a heck of a schedule themselves, and then you have 10-2 Gallatin county team that has struggled against better competetion such as Madison Central that theyve lost to by 13.

In the 7th region, Ballard and Sacred Heart both deserve spots. The rest of the region stand virtually no chance of knocking off these two teams. Manual could, but its a long shot. Manual got blew out against Anderson. Sacred Heart has to get better though. A loss to Danville in a holiday tourney (which IMO happens to almost every team in the state with overplaying teams on dead legs) and close win over Whitley County who is good, but has there own problems, could spell doom for them come tourney time. Assumption could be another team to watch.

In the 6th region, Mercy is a good team, but has a bad loss to Ashland, who isnt bad, but not a top ten team. They also have out of state losses which are impossible to gauge, especially since there record shows them losing to TBA. I could overlook the loss to Ashland, but it will hurt them.

In the 5th region, Marion County has to be the overwhelming favorite, not only in the region, but the state as well. North Hardin and John Hardin have decent records, but there misleading considering who they have played.
Etown, IMO, is the only other team in this region who deserves to be ranked. Two losses to Mercy and one to Anderson County, which they played well in all of them, only 10 point losses, may have a shot.

In the 4th region, Bowling Green is the only viable team at this point. Losses to Marion County (doesnt everybody) and one bad loss to Glasgow, and the rest has been pretty good including some good wins, and BG is in the mix.

My top 10

1. Marion County - Overwhelming number 1 IMO. I dont think anyone would disagree.

2. Anderson County - One hiccup to a Bryan Station team thats underrated and has lost to some very good teams, and Anderson is rolling. Other than that close loss to B.S. they have blown out there competetion.

3. Madison Central- One complete blowout at the hands of Marion is there only loss. Is the state really that far away from the top team? I believe so. They've done the same to everyone else.

4. Sacred Heart - Another team that suffered a one loss to a team they should have beat, S.H. is rolling. I can overlook the loss to Danville as holiday tourneys are bad for business when it comes to the win/loss column.

5. Butler - After an early season loss to assumption, Butler has only felt defeat at the hands of Madison Central, and Anderson County. I think we will get a feel if they should move below Ballard, who ranks number 6 when the two meet up again on Jan 4th. Butler won the earlier meeting.

6. Ballard - Only two losses to Butler, a close one, and Sacred Heart, another close one, and Ballard hasnt been beaten. A very consistent top 10 pick, Ballard is on a roll. As stated above, expect there matchup with Butler in three days to decide which direction both teams are heading midway through the season.

7. Mercy - Mercy is a good team. I just cant overlook there bad loss to Ashland enough to move them up higher. Mercy could IMO fall completely out within a couple of weeks or even move up with games against Manual, Butler, and Assumption.

8. Manual - If Manual wants to stay in the top ten, they'll have to eliminate getting blown out by teams like Anderson and losses to teams like Brossart. They did play Butler close, but eventually fell. There another team that could move up a spot or two, or completely fall out.

9. Bowling Green - With only two losses, one to Marion County, and a mess up to Glasgow, and BG has played well. If BG continues to play well as they enter there part of the schedule against region teams, and i dont see them falling out no time soon.

10. Elizabethtown - Losses to Anderson County and Mercy twice are the only two blemishes on Etowns record. Being in the same region as Marion County is a bummer though. Etown, though, is the only team that stand a semi chance. They may not lose another game until the region tourney.
lillianhidgepork Wrote:Im not mad nor will I be gone. Your mind reading skills equals most here, none. I dont have a team and thats the truth. I just happen to have been around a few players and coaches and I find you all amusing( as do they). And your name is just as close to gutless as mine is to a pig. Now post your top teams and show us how smart you really are....

I know several coaches and yes they do find me amusing. Im a funny guy. Life of the party, or so im told :biggrin:

You must be Julian Tackett yourself to know as many people as you do.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I know several coaches and yes they do find me amusing. Im a funny guy. Life of the party, or so im told :biggrin:

You must be Julian Tackett yourself to know as many people as you do.

Confusednicker:

:truestory:
lillianhidgepork Wrote:Im not mad nor will I be gone. Your mind reading skills equals most here, none. I dont have a team and thats the truth. I just happen to have been around a few players and coaches and I find you all amusing( as do they). And your name is just as close to gutless as mine is to a pig. Now post your top teams and show us how smart you really are....

You seem to be the only person here with a problem.
Dont have a team? I guess the commish isnt allowed to root for any one team.:moon:
List looks good gut.
I would probably have Mercy higher even with the loss to Ashland, but the rest is spot on.
Bolt Wrote:List looks good gut.
I would probably have Mercy higher even with the loss to Ashland, but the rest is spot on.

I really wanted to, but the teams i have listed higher, to me, have a better resume.
I just wanted to say that I have really enjoyed the spirited debate between "Gut" and "Pork". Don't stop and become civilized....it would ruin it for your fans! By the way, have you ever noticed how "Bolt" always comes in to back up the "Gut" within a few minutes of his posts? It's uncanny, I tell you.....and it doesn't matter what time of day it is....He is there for support...Kind of reminds you of Batman and Robin doesn't it? Smile Keep the insults coming.....just know you have a fan base!!!!! We all need a good laugh every now and then. LOL!!!!
If I was just a average girls basketball fan your list would make sense, however thats not the case. You talk about Manual having no chance of knocking off much anyone but I am sure you forgot the fact that they are playing without three starters at this point, one wont be back, one back soon and the loss to Anderson the other was out of state with their parents. But I am sure you knew that already and just didnt want to look like a know it all.

Also no need to overlook Sacred Hearts loss at Danville at team who took Lincoln to two overtimes just last night, because their arguably best player or second best player Raven Merriweather went down with a knee injury at the Nike Tourney of champions with about two minutes left in the championship of the bracket that they were in. Also in a bracket they won against some pretty good teams.

Anderson County has a good team and on paper may very well deserve the 2 ranking to casual fan, but any student of the game knows when its all said and done they wont finish two.

Also dont put down teams like Ashland( who has a top 100 player in America in her class like Robinson) and some other really good role players around her, and Glasgow, who also has Bre Glover a potential top 2016 player who has colleges drooling all over her ( Not NAIA for all you guys either) and Shaekilia(SP?)Smith who will play low D1 or D2 ball herself and the Greer kid who is a NAIA guard but still as good as most guards you have seen.

But I am sure you already knew this and was just waiting on one of my so called no substance posts to point this out to your followers.

And Bolt, Tackett has laughed loud.
Been trying to find the region by region rankings on the Herald Leader website, but can't seem to find it. If anyone could post a link or at least post the 8th Region, it will be greatly appreciated.
lillianhidgepork Wrote:If I was just a average girls basketball fan your list would make sense, however thats not the case. You talk about Manual having no chance of knocking off much anyone but I am sure you forgot the fact that they are playing without three starters at this point, one wont be back, one back soon and the loss to Anderson the other was out of state with their parents. But I am sure you knew that already and just didnt want to look like a know it all.

Also no need to overlook Sacred Hearts loss at Danville at team who took Lincoln to two overtimes just last night, because their arguably best player or second best player Raven Merriweather went down with a knee injury at the Nike Tourney of champions with about two minutes left in the championship of the bracket that they were in. Also in a bracket they won against some pretty good teams.

Anderson County has a good team and on paper may very well deserve the 2 ranking to casual fan, but any student of the game knows when its all said and done they wont finish two.

Also dont put down teams like Ashland( who has a top 100 player in America in her class like Robinson) and some other really good role players around her, and Glasgow, who also has Bre Glover a potential top 2016 player who has colleges drooling all over her ( Not NAIA for all you guys either) and Shaekilia(SP?)Smith who will play low D1 or D2 ball herself and the Greer kid who is a NAIA guard but still as good as most guards you have seen.

But I am sure you already knew this and was just waiting on one of my so called no substance posts to point this out to your followers.

And Bolt, Tackett has laughed loud.

In the end, as Ive said before, it really doesnt matter.
You've shown your unwillingness to compromise, which is fine. I guess will just continue on pork.
I believe my list is better than yours. You dont. Oh wow, we disagree again. That's shocking.
Tell us who your favorite team is. We all know you have one. It isnt a 1-15 wburg team is it? That would make sense as to why you wont tell us.
You and Tackett sit around together on BGR all day? You really are a pimp.
Basketball Wizzard Wrote:I just wanted to say that I have really enjoyed the spirited debate between "Gut" and "Pork". Don't stop and become civilized....it would ruin it for your fans! By the way, have you ever noticed how "Bolt" always comes in to back up the "Gut" within a few minutes of his posts? It's uncanny, I tell you.....and it doesn't matter what time of day it is....He is there for support...Kind of reminds you of Batman and Robin doesn't it? Smile Keep the insults coming.....just know you have a fan base!!!!! We all need a good laugh every now and then. LOL!!!!

I know Bolt personally. Along with about 4 other Whitley fans on the site. They just dont post much. A couple of them know you. It all makes sense. Also, before anyone gets any ideas, note it is against the rules to have multiple accounts. If you do so, you will get perma banned.
SamPeckinpah Wrote:Been trying to find the region by region rankings on the Herald Leader website, but can't seem to find it. If anyone could post a link or at least post the 8th Region, it will be greatly appreciated.

I looked the other day too and couldn't find anything.