Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Allen County-Scottsville 2013
My, oh my. The Patriots have went from 12-1 in 2009 (eventually losing to Lone Oak) and 13-1 in 2010 (eventually losing to the Boyle County Rebels) to a 4-7 season in 2011 and 3-8 season in 2012. Coach Bradley Hood is on the hot seat. Some have compared his great success and quick downfall to that of Gene Chizik at Auburn. How ever you want to spin it, the winning ways that Allen County thought they would come to know have been nowhere to be found the last two seasons.

The best the Pats played all last season was against 3A Monroe County losing by a mark of 45-33 on the road.

In 2013, I do not see much of an upside. The Pats lost a lot of the talent that they did have on the offensive side of the ball. I'm not sure how the kids moving up the depth charts will respond, but I don't see any reason to have high hopes going into the 2013 season.

Other than going 1-10 in 2007, Coach Hood had consistent success with four winning seasons from 2006-2010 with a 25-2 combined record in 2009 and 2010. The last two seasons Hood has went a combined 7-15. His seat will be hot this coming year. We'll just see what happens.

It could be another long year for the Patriots next season.
At least you won't have to open up against Bowling Green next season. That's something. Smile
AP you are right on the money. I am glad that you have found a new punching bag to warm up on. The mental beatdown is too much for a team that doesn't have the needed depth at any position.

We at ACS understand that we will only get the kids that grow up in the area. Scottsville is a very small town and people seldom move here. People from outside the area will move to Warren County before they move to Allen. Those of us who are close to the program and who are realistic know what we are up against in making a deep run in the playoffs. District and Regional Championships are what we expect and if a class comes along like the one in 2010. We will ride them as far as we can.

Over the past 8 years we have grown our youth program from 114 kids to 268 players. We are building for the future. We have added a flag division for the smaller kids and a 7 on 7 spring passing league. We have a blueprint to get kids to love the game and stick together. We feel this will be the only way for a small town such as ours to ever become successful.

For what it's worth in my eyes the Class of 2017 is the next class to come through ACS with enough talent to make a deep run. If we make any noise before then it will be because of a lot of sweat and hard work.

As for next season...

The O-Line should be muched improved over the past 2 seasons. We started 1 Senior and 4 Juniors this past season. The tail back that did most of the running returns along with a couple of LBs and the #1 receiver. We have yet to find that punishing FB that we had in Brandon Boards. Brandon kept the backers honest and it opened up the option. We have not had that the past 2 seasons. I hope that we are able to fill the FB position next year but I'm afraid that I don't see who it will be.

No matter what, Hood will have the boys in the weightroom all winter and will assemble the best team that our town can produce.
I understand what an uphill battle you guys have every year. Every program has up and down seasons. It sounds like you guys are doing all the right things to build and keep a top notch program running. Coach Hood has done a great job with what he had to work with. I think your down years will be fewer and far between. Good luck.
fanof87 Wrote:AP you are right on the money. I am glad that you have found a new punching bag to warm up on. The mental beatdown is too much for a team that doesn't have the needed depth at any position.

We at ACS understand that we will only get the kids that grow up in the area. Scottsville is a very small town and people seldom move here. People from outside the area will move to Warren County before they move to Allen. Those of us who are close to the program and who are realistic know what we are up against in making a deep run in the playoffs. District and Regional Championships are what we expect and if a class comes along like the one in 2010. We will ride them as far as we can.

Over the past 8 years we have grown our youth program from 114 kids to 268 players. We are building for the future. We have added a flag division for the smaller kids and a 7 on 7 spring passing league. We have a blueprint to get kids to love the game and stick together. We feel this will be the only way for a small town such as ours to ever become successful.

For what it's worth in my eyes the Class of 2017 is the next class to come through ACS with enough talent to make a deep run. If we make any noise before then it will be because of a lot of sweat and hard work.

As for next season...

The O-Line should be muched improved over the past 2 seasons. We started 1 Senior and 4 Juniors this past season. The tail back that did most of the running returns along with a couple of LBs and the #1 receiver. We have yet to find that punishing FB that we had in Brandon Boards. Brandon kept the backers honest and it opened up the option. We have not had that the past 2 seasons. I hope that we are able to fill the FB position next year but I'm afraid that I don't see who it will be.

No matter what, Hood will have the boys in the weightroom all winter and will assemble the best team that our town can produce.

You make some great points.

- ACS's kids are home grown Allen County products and it's never going to change.

- I have heard great things about talent in the junior high level as well. I think by in 3-4 years, success similar to 2009 and 2010 is possible. But will Hood still be the coach?

- Boards has been missed more than any player in my opinion. ACS hasn't really had a respected backfield, let alone been able to run the option successfully since Brandon left.

- Finally, no doubt Coach Hood will have the troops ready. The record over the last two seasons are in no way a reflection of the job Coach does in my opinion. He works tirelessly with those kids until the best result possible is reached. I'd love to see Hood here for years and years to come. I couldn't think of a better coach to lead this team. Having said that though, fo87, do you think Hood's seat gets hotter if another losing season awaits?
I would think that if the team doesn't do well next year some may call for his head. (I being a realist will not be among them).

I don't know who we would get to fill the role if Hood is run off. Most of the current staff is way, way to young in my opinion to take on the job. I think that is our biggest issue. If you look at the average age of our coaches I bet it is somewhere near 30. Our O-Line coach has experience coaching at other schools at more than one level. The rest have been coaching I'd say for less than 6 years each. A couple of position coaches are 2 or 3 years out of High School. I think only one of the coaches has experience playing at the college level.

Winning will come with experience. I am willing to invest the time it will take to build on what we have accomplished in Hood's tenure. As stated above we are going to get the kids that are grown up in the program. We are in it for the long haul. Changing coaches every 5 or 6 years doesn't fit into the long haul model in my opinion.

Right now Hood is our guy. I along with any booster that I have talked to are behind him and the program 100%.

Just to keep the topic alive. (Don't get to talk about my team all that often on here).

Let me pose this question to the board. What would the list look like if the ACS job became open? Is this viewed as a good job? The school just spent a bunch of money installing an indoor practice facility, built a brand new weightroom with a ton of new equipment, and installed a new field. The facilities are good. The town stands behind the team every Friday night. No matter if we are home or on the road ACS fans show up in droves.

Is this job a job that could attract a coach with a proven record?
I sure hope they don't run off Coach Hood. That would be a dumb mistake. He has proven that he can take a team to the finals and not too many small county coaches can say that. It's hard to keep a good coach nowadays. It's even harder to hire a new coach to take his place. They could find another coach to replace him, but it would set the program back a couple of years. The game today is dominated by teams with numbers. Trinity, Highlands, and Bowling Green all have more than 90 players on the team and might play 30-40 kids on any given night. If Allen County can get their little league and middle school teams excited about playing for the Patriots, they will be just fine, especially if they can be patient and stick with Hood.