Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jonathan Jackson
Should be considered for Mr KY. Will probably be 1st team all state at linebacker for the second time 2nd team as a Soph so its a given he is one of the best defensive players in the state. He rushed for 2200 yards 1000 in the post season he had another 2 or 300 in receiving. I lost count at touchdowns at 25 and that was after 10 games. So after the playoffs and championship he was probably pushing 35. He had 4 tds in the title game. Not sure on tackles but was probably pushing 175. Now i know the he is a 1a player crap is going get said but he put those stats up against plenty of bigger schools. If Mr Ky is about the best overall football player in the state shouldnt a guy who dominated on both sides of the ball get a look. I know this is wishful thinking and he wont even be in the final 5 but he should be.
You forgot some things there red&blk. He didn't just play on offense and defense. He also played on specail teams. He never come off of the field. When the coaches took him out for a play, he looked as though he was being beaten. Also take these things into consideration. This kid is the all time leading tackler at Mayfield. He is the all time leading scorer at Mayfield. He is the all time leading rusher at Mayfield. This is probably the most telling stat though. In 2008 Mayfield went 7-6 and didn't make it to the semi finals, which is almost unheard of in Mayfield. The program had strung together a couple of years of that kind of results. It almost felt like our program was in a downward spiral. In 2009, JJ was a freshman. We went 13-2 and were the state runners up. In 2010, he was more the focal person and we went 15-0 and state champs. In 2011, he was even more the focal point and we went 14-1 and were state runners up. In 2012, he was still the focal point and we are 14-1 and state champs again. He started in all 60 games during that time. He played the 2009 state championship with I think either a really bad sprained or partially broken ankle and played hard. He played in the 2011 state championship with a partially torn tendon in his knee. He was still carrying most of the load in that game. In the 60 games that he was a starter we went 56-4 and won 2 state championships. I also fondly remember the kid as a 6th grader starting for the 8th grade team on defense. I saw a post on another sight where someone from Cooper wanted to know if they could use him tomorrow. The funny thing is, he loves this game so much that he would play if he could legally do so. You can measure height, weight and speed. You cannot measure heart. Jonathan Jackson would be king of the entire nation of football if you could.
Congrats to Jonathon Jackson on a great season and career.
Excellent player. Didnt seem to have breakaway speed, but still very good speed and excellent size, athleticism, and very physical.

I think he would be a scholly well deserved at WKU.
Maybe now that UK has a coach instead of a fool running the football program, they will look at Jackson and sign him and not repeat the horrible mistake they made by ignoring Antonio Andrews.
Also Jackson never lost a game at War Memorial.
Not only is this young man an exceptional football player he has the academic scores to compliment it. Several posters here have mentioned how undersized we were this year. True, we were. I have to give the credit to Jackson for being a team leader and inspiring, not bullying, his team mates. Granted we have a wonderful coaching staff but through his lead by example attitude, he made a bunch of smaller than most teams championship caliber. Whether it was on the field or in the weight room, others were watching him and knew that this kid was special. They did not want to let him down. The fact that he has set numerous records for this historic team is another indicator of how driven and dedicated he has been.

I think that a Mr. Football winner should not be a one dimensional player from a large school that gets a lot of media exposure. True football purist know what I am talking about and may have a better understanding of who is worthy of this award more than the decision makers.

A soft spoken, respectful, polite and humble person like Jonathan would represent this award the way it was originally intended.
Smashmouth 47 Wrote:I think that a Mr. Football winner should not be a one dimensional player from a large school that gets a lot of media exposure. True football purist know what I am talking about and may have a better understanding of who is worthy of this award more than the decision makers

I agree with that, but it's the one's voting that need to believe it

I think Jackson is an awesome player, but Mr. Football is going to go to James Quick or Ryan Timmons. Both of those guys were very good on defense and special teams too. Jackson is without a doubt the best player in 1A though
ty for that but Jonathan is the best football player in the state no matter what class. He won't win but hes the best. You put all these players on a field let them play the others would quit before JJ.
toussaints Wrote:I agree with that, but it's the one's voting that need to believe it

I think Jackson is an awesome player, but Mr. Football is going to go to James Quick or Ryan Timmons. Both of those guys were very good on defense and special teams too. Jackson is without a doubt the best player in 1A though

seen Timmons 3 times he is a great player would not trade him for Jackson. He just didnt do well on both sides of the ball. He dominated both sides of the ball. He did it against better competition than Timmons did mayfields strength of schedule was better.
Jonathan may end up at Western Ky. they have offered but for those that have seen him play don't yall think Kentucky has been folish to not offer along with Vanderbilt and the mississppi school i mean come on its not like they are the Alabamas of the sec.
Mayfield had a tough out of district schedule, but in district and in the playoffs it was fairly weak compared to Franklin County. I agree, Jackson is great, but he plays on a great team. This isn't a shot to FC, but without Timmons, FC is just above average.

Speaking of Jackson, why hasn't UK or Louisville offered him yet
^ He is perhaps a bit undersized to be a DI linebacker?

Just my best guess. He was very impressive in person.
^ im talking about being a tailback, I could also see him fit as a strong safety
As was said in the Gladiator, "Are you not entertained". Looks like I was right, people were underestimating Caldwell Co. Also looks like MayfieldCardinal was right about what would have happened if we could have played them.
^ i dont about that, NCC beat up on Beechwood, Mayfield struggled in the 1st half
PaytoPlay Wrote:^ He is perhaps a bit undersized to be a DI linebacker?

Just my best guess. He was very impressive in person.

I have researched that size thing a little. Danny Trevathan all sec for Ky as a senior in HS was listed at 6ft1 191lbs. Jonathan goes 5ft11 210. I have seen the bigger schools i have seen the Dennis Johnson, Craig Yeast, Julius Yeast, Micah Johnson, Josh Forrest and JD Harmon I have seen Timmons, Jackson from Frankfort, and many more. To be specific i watched Jackson go against JD Harmon and Forrest from Paducah a couple of times he was the best player on the field and better than or as good everyone i listed above. Now that is from a pure talent standpoint as for heart and an a refuse to lose attitude the things you cant coach he is one of the best I have ever seen. He may not play in the SEC he may go to Ark st or Western but by the time he is done there will be alot of SEC schools that will wish they had have offered.
I agree redandblackattack ty for your responses toussaints as for Kentucky not offering who knows and also ul,. I believe a big name school will offer by then Jonathan may be on his way to Western who beat ky. or Arky. state or maybe Louisianna Terh. Wherever i hope he gets to play against UK.
Jackson has the potential to be a good one down the road. I just think it's a shame neither of the big schools have offered him yet. He's a playmaker
toussaints Wrote:Mayfield had a tough out of district schedule, but in district and in the playoffs it was fairly weak compared to Franklin County. I agree, Jackson is great, but he plays on a great team. This isn't a shot to FC, but without Timmons, FC is just above average.

Speaking of Jackson, why hasn't UK or Louisville offered him yet

You and i will disagree on one thing. It is much harder to stand head and shoulders above teammates who are talented. To shatter records at Mayfield a school who has produced div 1 talent and a guy or two who played for Pay is much more impressive to me. Than to beat up on a few 5a teams that Graves county would have beat the same Graves County who almost beat Warren Central in the playoffs an the same Graves County that Jackson barely played the second against because of the running clock. Jackson alltime Tds alltime tackles alltime rushing at a football power who traditionall play 3 4 and 5a schools in outof district scheduling.
Jackson reminds me alot of Kasey Clark from Russell a few years back. Similar size and speed. Jackson maybe a little faster straight ahead but not the lateral quickness. Clark playe Safety instead of linebacker. Ended up signing with Murray State.
PaytoPlay Wrote:Excellent player. Didnt seem to have breakaway speed, but still very good speed and excellent size, athleticism, and very physical.

I think he would be a scholly well deserved at WKU.

He may not have breakaway speed. That's the norm for someone who plays linebacker 50% of the time. He does possess a wicked stiff arm though.
Killer in the Sun Wrote:Also Jackson never lost a game at War Memorial.

u mean he played in Little rock Arknasas,lol
I hope he comes tp Arkansas Sate,wont be a bad drive for his family to Jonesboro.
"If Jonathan Jackson's not the best player in the state, I don't know who is," said Mayfield Coach Joe Morris. "This is what he does every game. He runs the ball, plays every snap on defense, and is in on special teams.

Sounds like he should be Mr. Kentucky Football to me
:howdy: mr.stoop need to look at jonathan jackson's from mayfield.he has earn a look at kentucky.:worthy::worthy::worthy:
Attn: Mr. Stoops. U should meet Mr. Jackson. Just plug 42066 into your GPS (or if you're in Corman's jet, it can land at the FBO at Barkley Field in Paducah, 20 minutes away.) The way I see it, he will either play for you, or he will play against you. There are those around the program who will tell you to load up on kids from big schools Georgia, Florida and Alabama and not to look at anything but Blue Chip kids from Kentucky. You have several players from small Ky. schools who are good players and they could play for UK or they could play elsewhere. See Mr. Jackson for yourself.
I didn't stay for Saturdays games, but he was the most impressive player I watched all day Friday. Congrats on all your accomplishments young man!!!
I will tell you a story that tells just how impressive this kid is, because his dad won't get on here and tell you this. When Jonathan was a freshman he went to a camp at Notre Dame. There were big time kids from most of the nation there. They actually go full contact there. At the end of the first day of the camp, one of the coaches came to his dad and asked if he could play up with the seniors the next day. They told his dad he was killing the freshmen. I also remember in 6th grade we were playing against Paducah Tilghman. The kid was hitting PT players so hard you could hear the pads poping at the top of War Memorial. At the end of the game when the coaches came to shake hands they told us a story. The story was that at half time of that game he couldn't find anyone that wanted to run the ball any more. The coach told them Jonathan wasn't hitting harder than anyone else. He said the kids spoke up and said, "Oh, yes he is coach".
All time leading Rusher and tackler at Mayfield. That says it all.

In my opinion, he was the best player up there this week.

The next one? Quick. But, Quick didn't play defense.

If we want to give out a Mr. Athlete Award, give it to quick. If we want to actually give out a Mr. Football Award, give it to Jackson.